Corvair Swap

puregn

I had been considering a 3.8/4.1 swap into an early box Nova (62-65), but I already have a 67 Corvair convertible that may become a candidate. I know it has been done, but have lots of preliminary questions to get answered before I make this decision. Anybody with experience with this swap or knows someone to contact for details, your knowledge is most welcome and desired.

Thanks in advance.
Mike D.
puregn

I think there was a member here by the name of GNVAIR, Do a search under his name. You might just get lucky.

Good luck
Prasad

I dont post on here much, but a friend told me that you had posted.
I did mine mid engine with Saginaw 4 speed which was very tedious and time consuming. They have kits available now to put a Powerglide behind a small block Chevy mounted mid engine in a 65-69 Corvair. If you can bolt the Glide to the Chevy, then you can bolt it to a Buick without too much issue. If you want a standard front engine, rear drive set up then you would really have your work cut out for you as you would have to basically fab a new rear suspension OR find an independent rear diff to fit the stock Corvair set up, as well as a drive shaft tunnel, mounts, etc.

No, I got mine all together and then took it apart. The engine is now in my father's Monte SS. The car went to a guy who wanted to put a small block Chevy back in it.

GNVAIR,

Thanks for response. I realized after I posted that this swap (mid-engined) would probably require an automatic, and I prefer to keep the car as a manual which is what it is now. I am curious however - how much heat did you experience driving this car with the turbo right behind your seat?

Thanks again
Mike D.
puregn

A friend of mine has a v8 Corvair. I showed him your post. He said check out http://www.v8vairs.com/

Also, my friend believes there is a person by the name of Seth Emerson in the Bay area who put a v6 in a Corvair. He's supposed to be an avid SCCA racer.

....there was a guy at this years' bowling green NAT's who had a BBB in a 'Vair.

As I've had a few 65-69 Corvairs in my day, I was VERY interested in how he managed to fab up the front mountings for everything.

He said he slid a G-Body frame, engine and all, right under the covair body !!!! Said it was almost a perfect fit and no shortening was needed. Said it took longer to fab up the rear wing than to do the chasis/body thing :eek:

So.....it may be ALOT easier than you think. Sorry for the late post, I sold my Turbo Limited :mad: and don't frequent here much

corvair1.jpg

corvair2.jpg

corvair3.jpg

corvair4.jpg

corvair5.jpg

...Oh, he went low 11's and this was the cars' first time "out"