Cooking a Prime Rib today.. any suggestions..

DING DING DING!

I was for about 10 years.

That explains it,,,,, getting ready to carve:biggrin:
essen.gif

Steak/Whole rib

A nice red wine sause and a bordelaise.

Maybe something for a Chateau Briand.

Bearnaise Sauce maybe?

If you have something diff. Ok
I am just looking for something different. I am not very educated on sauces.

I am on the grill.......:biggrin:

Yummmmm...this thread made me hungry!
I think I'm going to have to make my crab canape tonight! Got it off a local chef and it's the BEST!

I love a good bordelaise, especially with PR.

Bordelaise for Prime Rib

Collect the bits and pieces from the roasting pan along with whatever drippings are left. ( in total use about 1/4 cup of drippings and bits)

*Put into large saute pan (high sided) medium to medium high heat
*Add a pinch of fresh chopped garlic and half fresh chopped shallot - let cook for about 3-4 minutes. try not to burn the gar/shallot.
*Add 1 cup of your favorite DRY red wine. I use Sangiovese (italian wine) to deglaze.Typically a Bordeaux is used. Add 1/4 cup of a good veal or beef stock (see note) Let simmer uncovered, Reduce by 1/4 - more if you want it stronger.
I like a strong pungent sauce so I reduce by half or more.

You can stop here...and serve bordelaise like they do over in Renault land....loose and rich
OR
Serve it like they do here by adding a little cornstarch and water to bind it up a little so it sticks to stuff.

Note** Usually Bones are thrown into a stock pot to render the marrow for this sauce. A GOOD stock or even bullion will have marrow in it. So unless you are making this sauce for Carmen Electra....stock/broth/bullion is fine. I use Beef base. like a paste in a small tub. This will be all the salt you need for a sauce/stew/soup.

Now your talkin....:)

I hope Thunderbird will work............:biggrin: I don't think Carmen E. would know the difference.

How about with sauteed mushrooms and a filet?

Thanks Dan, I will try that one this weekend.

For a Chateau Briand - I would do a simple sauce as to not take away from the flavor and intricacy of a very expensive dish.

Here's a simple sauce. This is to be used in moderation...kind of like A1, a little bit goes a long way.

Small boiler pot - medium high heat
1/3 stick of salted butter
1 minced clove of garlic
1/2 cup of minced morels or white mushroom
1/2 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 cup of SWEET red wine - crappy cheap stuff works best - a merlot or something of that nature.
1 tbs of balsamic vinegar
Just enough beef base to add salt - do this to taste.

Melt butter,throw in garlic, throw in pepper, throw in shroomies, cook for 3-4 minutes, deglaze with wine, then add vinegar, reduce by half.

Should be very dark in color and very strong. This, because of the sweet wine and vinegar should become a little thick after reduction.

Put a puddle of this on the plate and drag the meat through it. Don't dip, unless you like that strength in food. I do.

How about with sauteed mushrooms and a filet?

Thanks Dan, I will try that one this weekend.

Easy....add sliced mushrooms to the bordelaise. and pour over filet. Finish with a pat of butter on top.

It's on tomorrow, If you happen to be coming thru S. Ill .....:biggrin:

Thanks again. I will try them all.

Yummmmm...this thread made me hungry!
I think I'm going to have to make my crab canape tonight! Got it off a local chef and it's the BEST

Don't hold back, we are family. Tell us about your crabs....:eek:

Bernaise/Hollandaise is gonna take me a minute. These are more complex, but well worth it. AND I'll throw in a freebie with those two. You'll never see it coming.....muaha.....muahhahah.....muahahhaahahhaha

Talked to momma, Bordelaise and filet tonight.......:)

Ty, OG says she has a killer crab recipe.

I will cookem. You catchem.............:biggrin:

Hollandaise and Bernaise are both "cooked" egg sauces. They tend to break easily if you aren't paying attention.

These will all be for a two person serving.

Bernaise -

You need to make a tarragon reduction - this is the main thing that separates the two sauces/emulsions.

small pan, 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup of dried tarragon
Cook the vinegar out. Until the mixture is almost dry - set aside to cool.

4 egg yolks
1/2 cup of melted butter - solids removed if you prefer.
1 tsp tobasco
pinch of salt

Start a pan of boiling water. The pan should be big enough for the bottom of the bowl to fit over - You will use the steam to cook the egg yolk in the bowl

Place the bowl with yolks over the steaming pan and start to whisk the yolks - do not stop. You will see the yolks start to turn bright yellow. If the yolks start sticking or solidifying in the bottom, remove from heat and keep whisking! Return to steam to finish. this whole process takes about 5 minutes.

Set the bowl on the counter on top of a wet rag (to keep the bowl from walking). As you whisk, slowly add the tarragon (probably half of what you reduced), then slowly add the butter - little at a time, keep the mixture moving. Keep doing this until the mixture is at the ribbon stage. Thick, but not too thick. (dont worry if it's too thick you can sprinkle a little water into the bowl and it will loosen right up.) Add salt to taste and then the tobasco.
FINISHED

Holandaise - same process, no tarragon. Instead add lemon juice from half a lemon. This will loosen up the mixture like the water would. Don't worry, you can add more butter to bring it back up. Or just make it thicker from the start and the lemon juice will bring it to ribbon stage.

THE BONUS.

Don't cook the egg. Don't use butter, use veg oil, add 3 minced garlic cloves, 1/tsp of anchovie paste, 1/2 squeezed lemon and 1tsp tobasco.

REAL CAESAR DRESSING