Cooking a Prime Rib today.. any suggestions..

I think we could start a hell of a restaurant.
But we would be just as broke as we are now.........:biggrin:

Dan,

I am curious on the PR. I have done many. all very good. but have never had what I call perfect. I can get rare to med. But never the tenderness I want. Kind of like it needs to set at lower temp longer to break down a little. or higher temp
longer without over cooking.

The key to the tenderness is the fat-cap. Most grocery stores sell the bone-in rib without it and it makes me sad.

When you buy a "109" rib (hey....that there's a coincidence!) it comes with the fat-cap. it is actually held on by by bones attached to the spinal end of the ribs themselves.

i would simply fold the cap off of the body of the rib, season it liberally and then fold the cap back over. After it's done cooking the cap is half the size it was in the beginning. It continuously bastes the rib throughout the cooking process.

A room temperature rib is also key.

Any butcher shop will either sell you or give you fat-cap.

a "109" with cap and one without

here....always cook bone-in.

Attachments

• 109 Rib.jpg
    109 Rib.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 109c.jpg
    109c.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 65
Another thing I should mention. I have never been a fan of flash roasting.

This would be when you pre-heat to 450-500 degrees for 15 minutes then reduce cooking temps.

Lower temperature for longer has always been my method.
Plus the high dollar AltoShams cook at about 275-300 for hours.

Always 450 till fat cap starts to curl than 250 till about 118 to 120 center.

There's no reason that rib shouldn't turn out like floating on a cloud of titties.

Then again fat content of the body has a lot to do with it too. To lean, too tough.

I have a feeling you already know all of this stuff, so tell me to go wax my car if it get's old. :)

It is always good......:biggrin:

Andria's in Fairview Heights,IL

Hands down the best I ever had.

Never I repeat never talk about food all day and then go to the meat market.......:eek:

Never I repeat never talk about food all day and then go to the meat market.......:eek:

Yeah...about that. This thread absolutely killed me today. By the time I left work, I was frikken starving.

Ty, who's back from the dead.....your leg?

Yeah...about that. This thread absolutely killed me today. By the time I left work, I was frikken starving.

Ty, who's back from the dead.....your leg?

This thread:biggrin:

I sat at my desk today at the office with my leg propped up slamming pain pills all day, I bet some customers got some hell'acious deals today
kaboom.gif

I'm not near the cook you guys are, but I wanted to mention a great thermometer I recently found while watching a test on America's Test Kitchen. It's the CDN Q2-450 Pro Chefs Quick Test. I got one for just $18 on ebay. Digital thermometer that reads from -40 to +450F and settles in under 10 seconds - perfect for quick checks on a steak or roast. I used to just eyeball steaks on the grill and usually miss (sigh :)) but now it's too easy to be consistent :).

Hey I use them on chicken and loins.....:biggrin:

Sure cuts down on mistakes and helps with repeatability.
Nothing worse than dry chicken or pork.

I do chicken to 165 and small loins to 135-138 deg.

On a side note.....do I have a problem?

I'm in my garage, listening to the 80's channel on Sirius. Glass of Sangiovese, and a GN 10' away, surfing TB.com.

IMHO, it doesn't get any better than this.....then again, Ian Dury and the Blockheads - Hit me with our rythem stick just cam on.

All of the sudden, I don't feel so cool.