Cooking a Prime Rib today.. any suggestions..

JOHNDEEREGN

Staff member
I love to cook but this is my first prime rib,,, sound like a good way to cook it?

Ideas and suggestions !?!?

Ty

It is crucial that you allow the roast to come to room temperature to ensure even-cooking. This means leaving it out for up to two full hours right before roasting.

* Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

* Use a paper towel to pat the roast dry.

* Rub butter on the cut ends of the roast.

* Create a seasoning rub or paste with ingredients such as pepper, coarse salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Make a series of ½ inch deep slits all over the top of the roast as well as the sides. Rub your seasonings all over the roast, covering all exposed meat.

* Place the roast in a heavy metal roasting pan, bone-side down.

No matter what size roast you have, you will start it in a pre-heated 450 degree oven for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees for the balance of cooking time. Cooking times will vary depending on size of the roast and desired level of doneness. The following chart gives approximate times for to reach "rare" at various sizes.

Cooking Time for Rare (120°)

(3) Ribs, 7 to 8 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours at 325°
(4) Ribs, 9 to 10 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 1 ½ to 2 hours at 325°
(5) Ribs, 11 to 13 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 2 to 2 ½ hours at 325°
(6) Ribs, 14 to 16 lbs. 15 minutes at 450° Then, 2 ¾ to 3 hours at 325°
(7) Ribs, 16 to 18 lbs. 15 minutes at 450° Then, 3 to 3 ¾ hours at 325°

Every half hour or so, baste the ends of the roast with the drippings. Use your meat thermometer about a half hour before the expected end of the roasting time. Make sure to insert it in the thickest part of the meat, not touching the fat or bone. When the internal temperature reaches 120°, pull it out of the oven and cover with foil. Let the roast sit for twenty to thirty minutes. It will continue to cook during this time, reaching a temperature of about 125° to 130°. This resting period allows the juices and flavors to permeate the roast.

Rare meats measure in at 120° to 125° with a bright red center that grows slightly pinkish towards the exterior. Medium rare meats measure between 130° to 135° and are characterized by their extremely pink center portion that grows brown towards the exterior. Medium meats have a light pink center, brown outer portions and readings of about 140° to 145°. Medium well is not pink at all and is achieved at 150° to 155°. Well done is reached at 160° and above and is characterized by a uniform brown color.

Use a long, sharp knife to carve your roast. Serve with Yorkshire Pudding, Au Jus and Horseradish Sauce. Au Jus is French for “with juice”. Place the drippings in small containers for dipping.

That's a good start. Do not let it go over 120 deg. in the center. Man that sounds good......:)

Lots of salt in the marinade/rub 450 to 500 till the fat cap starts to peel than put it on the smoker or grill low and slow until 118/120 in the center.......yummy

What time are we eating..........

Did you get a fat cap with the rib? THis would be the thick layer of fat that lays on top of the roast - VERY IMPORTANT. I have cooked at least....well, 4 a day for 7 days a week X 8 years..???!!! LOTS

Let it come to room temp like above.....keep rib on bone rack, separate fat cap from roast.

A good dusting of kosher salt, black pepper and GRANULATED garlic BETWEEN THE CAP AND ROAST...that's it.

I ususally roast mine at home in a 275 degree oven for several hours. Internal temp not to get above 120 like above. LEt the rib rest for a half hour or so.

Cut from the middle for rarest. If you have any of the roast left over, place it cut side down on the cutting board so it doesn't bleed out.

I have messed with countless recipes for rib. The best one I have ever dealt with is salt, pepper, garlic.

Then save the fat for yorkshire puddings!!!

If you didn't get a fat cap, send someone to the butcher and they should have some saved.

One more thing....the best true rare I get is at a center temperature of 110 degrees.

I hear ya notacarlo, 115 to 118 is what I like. If we have company. That way there is something for everybody.

Med on the end rare in the mid.

But if it is just for us, 110 and let it set for a little while then slice thick. Take a slice and dunk it in marinade and sear on a hot grill or pan.

If you are ever in St. Louis. There is a place about 15 miles
outside in O'Fallon,IL called Andria's. Get the Lg. Prime Rib
you will not regret it......:biggrin:

The scond a grill comes into contact with a cooked piece of rib it becomes a Delmonico....a whole other bad-a$$ steak dinner!

If Ty hasn't replied yet, he is face deep in prime rib!

Hope it went well buddy!

The scond a grill comes into contact with a cooked piece of rib it becomes a Delmonico....a whole other bad-a$$ steak dinner!

If Ty hasn't replied yet, he is face deep in prime rib!

Hope it went well buddy!

Well I just did the Kosher Salt, Papper, and Garlic powder.... It smells WONDERFUL:wink: Will post pics.

I bought another for my sons birthday next weekend:D I am going to get good at this yet:biggrin:

DAMN YOU MUST BE GREAT COOK'S GUYS!

PS- The Gravy receipe was the bomb!

THANKS!

It is smelling absolutly awesome,, off to make homemade mashed taters.... supose you have a recipie for those:D

Hurry:D

I am about

to knock on your door with overlay and reducer-are the beverages cold yet??

I ate a Porterhouse steak tonight at a local joint and it was terrible!:mad: I should have you cook it:cool:

Dont be a hater, it was my first try. Shoulda pulled it 30 minutes earlier. It had GREAT flavor though:D :D :D :D :D

My pics are to big damn it, can I email em to anybody to resize:mad:

Looks good.

What was the temp when you pulled it out?
A prime rib has a small window on temp and it keeps cooking while it is resting.

Looks good.

What was the temp when you pulled it out?
A prime rib has a small window on temp and it keeps cooking while it is resting.

450 for 15 mins, 325 for 2 hrs, pulled it and the inside temp was mid 140's on 8 lbs .....

Lt it set for 30 mins and you see the result.

Maybe 275 for 2 hrs would have been better:wink:

But how did it taste?

I should have told you....

If you take a slice and it is too coooked:

Put it in a HOT pan and pour the au jus around it. That will bring the blood to the top and trick you into a more rare peice of meat.

Looks real damn good though....good job. It takes a comitment to go at a prime rib.

Wow...I have cooked over 11,000 ribs.....I hope it was good.

You will get there. You have to use a meat thermometer
before it gets to that stage.

A couple more and you will have it......:biggrin:

And what kind of German Shepherd was that pic of...:confused: