Can someone recommend a stall number for me

Not to become argumentative but I want to say this.
You have a TA-60 in your sig. Put a p-trim 66 or 67 on that car and there will be a very noticeable difference using the same converter. I just did a swap of a 60-1 that died to a 6766 on a car with a 9.5 inch ptc from Dusty. Champion ported irons and 206/206 cam. Boy did it take the fun out of that car in the 0-18 psi range. Now the upside to it is that he is a racer that will see 25-28 psi most of the time. However the street fun went out the window. Food for thought. Tight converter...big Turbo...dull street car

That makes sense, I knew his turbo was bigger than mine but this is my first season in the TR scene so I don't have much first hand experience with how different turbo sizes effect the efficiency of converter stall on the street. I'm sure whoever builds him a converter will take his combo in to consideration. There is some good converter choices on this forum.

Not to become argumentative but I want to say this.
You have a TA-60 in your sig. Put a p-trim 66 or 67 on that car and there will be a very noticeable difference using the same converter. I just did a swap of a 60-1 that died to a 6766 on a car with a 9.5 inch ptc from Dusty. Champion ported irons and 206/206 cam. Boy did it take the fun out of that car in the 0-18 psi range. Now the upside to it is that he is a racer that will see 25-28 psi most of the time. However the street fun went out the window. Food for thought. Tight converter...big Turbo...dull street car

This is why if starting a new combo I never recommend anything over a 6262 for a driving combo. Those turbos will easily run deep into the 10's and aren't hard to spool. With a 66-70mm on a street car there will be lag without what I would consider a high stall. Often times guys will actually run faster at the track as well with a smaller turbo because they come in much quicker. A 66 can work on the street but there's no doubt a smaller turbo can increase the spool up without sacrificing top end pull.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

There is a misconception that all lock-up converters are all basically the same. They are not all created equal anymore. My new converter designs after investing in R&D are being made available to fill the gaps to what is available now. With the many different pump and stator combinations offered not previously available, my new converters are very customizable and efficiency is on par with the most efficient non-lockups.

My lockup is the only full ball bearing lockup in the industry for the 200-4R, which makes for much quicker response time and no drag being ball bearing. The clearances can be made much tighter which allows for greater efficiency never available in a lock-up. Who would have perceived a lock-up that can perform almost as well as the most efficient non-lockups out there, not being locked up!!

I will be releasing more info in the near future about my new products. Any questions, please feel free to contact me regarding this new technology.

There is a misconception that all lock-up converters are all basically the same. They are not all created equal anymore. My new converter designs after investing in R&D are being made available to fill the gaps to what is available now. With the many different pump and stator combinations offered not previously available, my new converters are very customizable and efficiency is on par with the most efficient non-lockups.

My lockup is the only full ball bearing lockup in the industry for the 200-4R, which makes for much quicker response time and no drag being ball bearing. The clearances can be made much tighter which allows for greater efficiency never available in a lock-up. Who would have perceived a lock-up that can perform almost as well as the most efficient non-lockups out there, not being locked up!!

I will be releasing more info in the near future about my new products. Any questions, please feel free to contact me regarding this new technology.

This statement would be so much better if it included numbers. I know you have these in some cars that have been track tested. Please start a thread to post some data. I like lockup converters, but I have been spend the time to figure out the PTC with Dusty and my customers. I have four perfect converter, turbo matches thus far. This last one is just like dusty said. 6262 would have been perfect...but the wallet provided a 6776 so I will make the best of that.
Rich or poor....$1000 decision.

There is no magic in converters, it's in the combo as a whole. I can pick any certain combo with a lock up and make it appear as if it spools and couples as well as a non lock but it doesn't fit every scenario. I have a $500 single disc lock up 3000 stall converter in an LS car now that just went 9.20 and drives a couple hours to the track but the rpm range is higher than a Buick so it's a different animal. All lock ups aren't built the same but when evaluating the data they all will in fact perform identically come track day behind the same combo.

Example. Any lock up may have 3000 stall and 4% slip when running at the 11.80 range and shifting at 5800 rpm. Now if this was shifted at 5300 slip will be higher or if still shifted at 5800 but running 11.00, slip will also be higher. More power applied to a converter will loosen it up. With the Buicks it will always be a balancing act due to the power output and low rpm they operate at. That's why getting a feel for what a customer needs is the only way to put them in something that suits their needs.

Thanks again dusty. Some real good info there. It definitely makes more sense now.

Thanks,
Jerry

. Food for thought. Tight converter...big Turbo...dull street car

What stall ?? You said you went from a 60-1 to 6766 but didn't say if the converter was changed or just the turbo.

If it's a 2,800 or lower you should expect the results you posted.

The O/P was told by Dave the right specs for what he said he had or would be running.

How about the altitude factor? I know this might be a bit off topic, but there are those who live at 5200'...

Thanks,

Jay J

The converter has to be made looser because the engine is down on power n/a which hurts spool-up.

What stall ?? You said you went from a 60-1 to 6766 but didn't say if the converter was changed or just the turbo.

If it's a 2,800 or lower you should expect the results you posted.

The O/P was told by Dave the right specs for what he said he had or would be running.

comes in at about 3100@0. I will make a vid in a few weeks after a few more things are done.

I was going to respond to many posts. Is it worth it? Not really. I find the misrepresentations quite amusing though.

Jerry I sent you a PM

I was going to respond to many posts. Is it worth it? Not really. I find the misrepresentations quite amusing though.

"Jerry" will see the indicator at the top of the page that he has a private message. He may even get an email alert. No need to let everyone else know you want to share information with him in private. Its actually kind of rude to do that in an open forum.

I'll bite, When did this come about and do you have any of these out their now being tested and logs that can show us how good they are.

Can you post numbers or logs??? Can you post pics of the internals to show what's in there or is that TOP SECRET.

Is there custom machining or parts involved??

I know when I asked Dusty to post pics he wouldn't. I already know what's inside a PTC 9.5 now, I saw one when it was cut open for a refresh. There is nothing special in a PTC except for a stator that they have made for them and the fact that they use a nissan core. All the other parts are off the shelf trans specialty parts.

What makes this one the latest and greatest. How many custom parts or machining is involved with this converter?

Waiting with baited breath for results and pics.

RZ.

I have one in my car now. I don't have any pics other than the outside but I do have a PL run you can look at.

I ran my car for the first time after I bought it this summer. It ran 13.5 at 100 mph 1.95 60. I know pathetic for what I have but I do know I was 5000 rpm through the traps and I had no legs on the big end.

Shortly after that I was tuning the car and lost lock up on my 3200 converter so I went looking for a new one. Came across Dave and the deal was done.

I went back to the track with the same tune and went 12.7 at 110. I did add 28" tire over a 25" because trapping at 5000 rpms with the old converter I figured I needed some gear.

Track prep was bad and I lost 1 tenth in the 60 so I really gained a little more ET with the converter than posted above.

I'm attaching 2 PL files. One with 3rd gear pull and the other from a roll. The biggest thing I noticed is how it couples in 3rd gear. It stalls great and has good street manners. I have been upping my tune since the track and won't have any real racing data till spring. I will be running 25 boost instead of 19/20 and I will be launching with slicks. I've been letting the car shift itself but will try a 2nd to 3rd shift at 5300 manually.

For some reason my PL MPH isn't accurate with my time slips?? Probably 28" tire height?

On log 2 I get 35 MPH gain in 3rd from 4500 rpm to 5000 ish rpm.
These street runs may not tell you what you want to know because I can't launch it hard but here it is anyway.

Attachments

• LogFile2.dat
    69.9 KB · Views: 65
  • LogFile3.dat
    73.4 KB · Views: 62
I know when I asked Dusty to post pics he wouldn't. There is nothing special in a PTC except for a stator that they have made for them and the fact that they use a nissan core. All the other parts are off the shelf trans specialty parts.

Don't mind me. I'm just getting a good laugh as I read RZ's posts and glance over all the Buick racing records.....nope, nothing special about those 9.5 non locks.......

Now your going to attack Husek's claims. Your not making any fans here man. It's clear you have no understanding of how a converter works so no one cares what you think.

Jerry, honestly, for what you're looking for, you can not go wrong with either vendor who has chimed in to help you here. there are probably a few others on the board that can also help... one thing you should do soon is PICK ONE, and STICK WITH ONE. all of these guys are very experienced in our cars - or should be - and ultimately probably won't steer you wrong. I can't say that of others that haven't chimed in here.

If the converter you get with one of them isn't want you clearer expected and was promised, they can make it right with a restall or replacement. you are asking the right questions and need to be realistic about your price point, driving habits and desires. Keep in mind that you might actually want to consider going down in turbo size to help driveability.

All of this is very subjective, but these guys have enough experience - i hope - to make the recommendation(s) that you would be happy with.

without actually trying one of these converters, it is very hard to tell you whether you think the car feels responsive enough or spools fast enough - or drives down the highway and a decent cruising rpm.. etc..etc..etc...

Yeah I agree with what dusty and Dave have said. I'm just waiting on the money train to catch up with my mouth. I'm kinda trying to pre spec this very key component before I even have the money to spend on it. I've told Dave and others that I don't want to tire kick them on the phone with getting a specific converter figured out and then say all right well ill get back with you when I hit the lotto.

Didn't know this topic would get this interesting.

Thanks

Jerry