Cam decisions

RED LS1

Looking for some advise on Cam selection. I'm looking to pick up one of the Comp Roller kits offered through Summit. The choices are 206/206, 212/212, 218/218.

Between myself, friends and family over the years we've ran the 212's and the 218's a few different times. Each times the cars were all built up pretty good with the usual go fast stuff. I can't say for sure though what part the cams played in the performance of each car.

This time, I'm building another car. It currently has stock short block with a Hydro F/T 212/212 cam. I'm going to have a shortblock built and I want go with the full roller set up. Something tells me to go strait to the 218/218 and be done. I just don't know what combo suits which cam or if there is any concrete data. I would like to keep the car at a 5600-5800 shift point I think.

It currently has Champion CNC irons and matching intake, CPT 66 Turbo , Fast XFI and a Billet 3200 stall converter along with 83 lbs injectors and Accufab 70mm TB and matching plenum.

I think the car should be a 10 second car with 22-25 psi.

Any of those cams will get you into the 10's.

The 218/218 cams I have installed were fast ramp cams and will give you power at 5800 and more.

My choice would be the 212/212 for a street/strip build and it also has good power at 5800. I like the mid-range torque of this cam, and it is not as radical or noisy as the 218/218.

We have not used a 218/218 for years as we go to a 224/224 instead which is more oriented for track use, but my street car has the 224/224 cam and it is an "animal" at RPM, and have yet to explore the upper limits on the street! above 18 psi and it starts and idles excellent!

Just be aware, the cam duration is only one factor is selecting a cam for your specific build. Most all of our performance cams are tailored for the engine build as well as the customer's use.

Look into the ones that Full Throttle Speed has. If I were building something like your building with iron heads & mostly street / light track duty I think I would choose this one:

REV XR5 Buick Turbo 214/214 Camshaft

This is a high intensity camshaft with very fast ramps and higher lift. It is for the guys who want to make the max power but still keep the RPM’s within reason. It is offered with fully ported heads, big turbos and high stall non-lock converters in mind. We used to run this cam in our old TSS setup with great success. It requires a stronger valve spring (PAC1219) that we will offer in the kit when this cam is selected. Roller rockers and at least iron heads are required-- 1.55 ratio is best for most applications; 1.65 ratio is not recommended.
Technical Information:
Intake Duration 214 @ .50
Exhaust Duration 214 @ .50
.547 lift with 1.55 rockers
.565 lift with 1.60 rockers
.583 lift with 1.65 rockers

Generally speaking the lower durations (210, 212, 214) will keep the powerband of the engine generally under 6K between 5500 - 5800 rpms as Nick stated.... (218, 224+) will move that powerband up to 6k and beyond..

That's some good info guys. Something always tells me that the 212/212 cam is more than enough for my needs. This car has the potential to be a very fast car but the fact is that I am an 80-90% street guy and rarely ever get to the track these days.

The Full throttle cam has .030 more lift than the Comp version. That could be pretty beneficial in itself with the CNC heads I have. I should get Champions take on that and look at my flow numbers. Who makes the cams for Full throttle and does the kit come complete with lifters and springs for the heads like the comp one does?

Looking for some advise on Cam selection. I'm looking to pick up one of the Comp Roller kits offered through Summit. The choices are 206/206, 212/212, 218/218.

Between myself, friends and family over the years we've ran the 212's and the 218's a few different times. Each times the cars were all built up pretty good with the usual go fast stuff. I can't say for sure though what part the cams played in the performance of each car.

This time, I'm building another car. It currently has stock short block with a Hydro F/T 212/212 cam. I'm going to have a shortblock built and I want go with the full roller set up. Something tells me to go strait to the 218/218 and be done. I just don't know what combo suits which cam or if there is any concrete data. I would like to keep the car at a 5600-5800 shift point I think.

It currently has Champion CNC irons and matching intake, CPT 66 Turbo , Fast XFI and a Billet 3200 stall converter along with 83 lbs injectors and Accufab 70mm TB and matching plenum.

I think the car should be a 10 second car with 22-25 psi.
If you plan on running the turbo out you won't be over 5600rpm. 5400rpm if you have the small cover on your turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This Turbo isn't efficient past 5400-5600? I'm assuming that's what you meant. I have considered a new turbo but there's so many choices I don't feel like diving in just yet.

So if you think this turbo is a 5400 RPM turbo do you have a suggestion to make on the cam regarding that? I'm leaning towards the 212/212

I ran a 215/220 from FTS speed years ago with a TE63 and ported irons. The car ran 125mph@21psi weighing 3550.
We swapped the entire combo over to my brother's Cutlass, except for a 210/215 FTS cam. The car is lighter, but has been 124mph@19psi weighing 3490.
The 210/215 feels better on the street. I wasn't shifting high enough to use the cam, and the car was always soft in the 1/8mile.
For your goals, I would go 206 or 212.

This Turbo isn't efficient past 5400-5600? I'm assuming that's what you meant. I have considered a new turbo but there's so many choices I don't feel like diving in just yet.

So if you think this turbo is a 5400 RPM turbo do you have a suggestion to make on the cam regarding that? I'm leaning towards the 212/212
The turbo being efficient at 5400-5600 directly depends on your engine. If the turbo can't keep up with the engines demand a cam that would raise rpm in another engine with more turbo and mass flow won't do anything if the cam is used and the turbo is a dud at 5500. If your turbo is all in id go small on the cam. Just any off the shelf cam. You can increase ramp and pick up vacuum and increase cylinder pressure. The duration @ .050 doesn't mean anything. The duration @.200" + is what matters. That's where the flow will be high. Flow at .050" lift isn't even worth mentioning especially the intake because of the high ex pressure that has to be equalized before any flow can occur. Look at the 6265 thread. If you duplicate that thread and run you're current turbo all in if bet you can squeak out some 10 teens or better in good air. That was a low CR stock piston engine. If you can keep ex pressure and intake pressure at close to 1:1 a cam will help for sure but you'll see ex pressure jump up quickly once the turbo is about to give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk