Cam spec recommendations

Mrussell

I’m currently building a Stage motor and wanting some cam spec recommendations.

Here is the build combo so far.
153 stage 2 with 270+ci
10:1 compression
GN1 ported aluminum heads

Car will be street driven and will hit the track 1/2 dozen times a year.

what are the goals?
from what you stated
Track is not objective
So what are you looking for?

If that is the only info you have, you need to talk to your engine builder and get much more. If he is not versed in turbo buick engines, you need to find a builder that is.
We also need the rest of the trans and chassis combo after getting the rest of the engine build info.
A well thought out and matched combo of "smaller" parts, engine and drive train, will yield better results than mismatched "larger" parts.
How fast has this combo run so far?
How fast have you been?
Realistically, are you trying to run before you have learned to walk?
TIMINATOR

If that is the only info you have, you need to talk to your engine builder and get much more. If he is not versed in turbo buick engines, you need to find a builder that is.
We also need the rest of the trans and chassis combo after getting the rest of the engine build info.
A well thought out and matched combo of "smaller" parts, engine and drive train, will yield better results than mismatched "larger" parts.
How fast have you been?
TIMINATOR
How fast have you been?
TIMINATOR
I’m not sure what other information you are missing, it’s. 3500lb Buick grand national. Going to be in front of a 4l80. Haven’t purchased turbo yet because cam and turbo are have yet to be decided (hints why I’ve asked for recommendations). PS 275/60/15 for tire size. Which cam (or cam spec) can you recommend or are unable to make recommendations?

Thanks
Mrussell

Last edited:
800+hp and low 9’s
Street low 9s or track?
800hp at 3500lbs does not need an 88mm turbo and does not need an 8000rpm shift point.
At that power point it can be done with a much smaller cam hydraulic and a much smaller turbo.
pm me if your interested in me specing the turbo.
Go easy on tim he is an engine builder😉

Street low 9s or track?
800hp at 3500lbs does not need an 88mm turbo and does not need an 8000rpm shift point.
At that power point it can be done with a much smaller cam hydraulic and a much smaller turbo.
pm me if your interested in me specing the turbo.
Go easy on tim he is an engine builder😉
Wanting to run into the low 9’s or better at the track.

I’m really liking the new HPT turbos (currently running a 6466hpt on a 109).
Definitely don’t need to spin the motor too high (GN’1 are only mildly ported and would not support 8k rpm.

Once I get a cam figured out for this combo I’ll get a turbo that works with my setup/goals. Please share with me your shop/ business info.

I’m sure Tim’s a nice guy, however you dish it out you gotta be willing to receive it back lol.

Thanks

I wasn't dishing. Asking.
Garbage in = Garbage out
Head flow?
Gears?
L/U?
Headers/ exhaust
Intake, TB, and mods?
I/C?
How fast is the car/ combo now?
Mods to the car? Chassis? Suspension?
Trans brake?
The more we know, the better the info.
If u don't want this info public, PM Mr. Spool.
Greg, over to you.....
TIMINATOR

Wanting to run into the low 9’s or better at the track.

I’m really liking the new HPT turbos (currently running a 6466hpt on a 109).
Definitely don’t need to spin the motor too high (GN’1 are only mildly ported and would not support 8k rpm.

Once I get a cam figured out for this combo I’ll get a turbo that works with my setup/goals. Please share with me your shop/ business info.

I’m sure Tim’s a nice guy, however you dish it out you gotta be willing to receive it back lol.

Thanks
you should be making 800hp on your 109 with a 64😉

I’m currently building a Stage motor and wanting some cam spec recommendations.

Here is the build combo so far.
153 stage 2 with 270+ci
10:1 compression
GN1 ported aluminum heads

Car will be street driven and will hit the track 1/2 dozen times a year.
Ps: Traffic Jam 3D has hundreds of levels with increasing difficulty, from simple roads to complex traffic areas. You need to use your driving skills and sharp observation ability to overcome all challenges.

I'm also working on a similar build, so your combo definitely caught my eye: 153 with 270+ cubes, 10:1 compression, and those tasty GN1 heads...

I'm also working on a similar build, so your combo definitely caught my eye: 153 with 270+ cubes, 10:1 compression, and those tasty GN1 heads...
I cant wait, our combos are going to be stout. Wanting to keep the RPM's under 7,000 so im thinking something like 230/230 with mild lobe.

There’s a 230-230 Comp cam on eBay right now.

I have a 4.1 016 block with ported TA heads that TA Performance built. Their cam guy made a 226-226 billet for my motor. It’s a 9 to one compression street/strip car.

There’s a 230-230 Comp cam on eBay right now.

I have a 4.1 016 block with ported TA heads that TA Performance built. Their cam guy made a 226-226 billet for my motor. It’s a 9 to one compression street/strip car.
Man only if it were billet I’d up all over it.

Sounds like a solid setup! What kind of numbers does your combo make (ET HP)?
What valve spring are installed and what’s your shift points?

Thanks
Mike