Help me select a turbo for my new motor please

10SECV6

I'm in the process of working with Richrd Clark to build a new motor for my '87 T-type. The car currently has the stock motor in it including the stock heads and cam and has a Precision 5931 turbo on it. The list of current mods are below and it has gone a best of 11.65 @ 113mph on this setup. The current 5931 turbo seems to be well matched to the stock motor, but there is not much left in it. Current mods are :

• Precision 5931 turbo
  • Alky Control Methanol injection
  • Turbo Tweak Alcohol chip
  • 60# Injectors
  • CAS V4 stretch stock location intercooler
  • Pypes 2.5” exhaust (no catalytic converter)
  • 3” TH down pipe
  • RJC racing boost controller
  • RJC power plate
  • K&N open filter
  • LT1 MAF
  • Walbro fuel pump
  • Trans built by Richard
  • PTC 2,800-3,000 stall converter (stalls closer to 4,000 at the track on the brake and a set of slicks)
  • Powerlogger, ScanMaster, and a Wideband
The new motor being built by Richard is a 109 block bored .020 over and will have Champion GN1 aluminum heads, a Comp Cams 212/212 roller cam, Scorpion 1.55 roller rockers, Champion ported intake, steel crank, forged Pistons,etc. I need to select a turbo that will feed it. I'd prefer to stay with a Precision turbo as the 5931 on the car now has been great so far. It is a street stip car and while it is hard to say what my ET goal is, I want it to be as quick as possible at the track and will likely run ~30 pounds of boost once it is properly broken in and the tuning and bugs are all sorted out. I called Precision and they recommended a 6266 or 6466 and possibly a 6766 on the big side.

Any recommendations? I just don't want to pick the wrong turbo and have it not be enough ultimately or go too big and end up with a dog on the street. Thanks.

Any of the three turbos you mentioned. Will work good in the street or track. Just make sure you have get a 9.5 nl with a 3000/32000 stall for the 62/66 or 64/66. You will be happy.

For the new motor and if your gonna run the boost you stated 30# and keeping it mostly street id go with a 6262/6266 no bigger.. and x2 on the 9.5" converter

I recently got a .30 over 9.1 compression forged short block with champion iron heads and a ptc 9.5 nl my te63 took a dump contacted bison for a turbo he recommended the 6766 for my combo and the best decision I could have made car made over 600whp at 25psi on a very safe tune and spool excellent on the street and pulls hard contact bison he will get you the right turbo

Everybody is suggesting a non-lockup converter. Why?

I already have a nice PTC converter with lockup. It stalls to about 3,000rpm at zero boost and about 4,400rpm on the foot take and slicks at the track. I personally like the lockup for easy highway cruising. Will this work ok for the new setup?

I already have a nice PTC converter with lockup. It stalls to about 3,000rpm at zero boost and about 4,400rpm on the foot take and slicks at the track. I personally like the lockup for easy highway cruising. Will this work ok for the new setup?
Because your 10 in lockup is good until you run 10.80 and up.. If you go with the 6266 6466 6766 that you mention the lockup you will blow through the converter. The 9.5 PTC nl is good for 10.80 and faster. Will spool good down low and couple good on top. You won't notice it they came a long way from the old days on nl converters. Maybe 100 rpm difference at cruise. Hope that helps you.. And answered your question. Bottom line combination is the key with these cars. Ask questions it will save you a lot if $$$ and good luck with your build like to hear how it turns out for you when it is done:)

That same 10" 3000 would never be below 5800rpm on 83 intercooleds combo at full hit on its current tune. If he had more fuel and turned it up to 30+psi it would drive even further into the converter. Probably 6200-6300 flash at full hit. Way beyond the usable rpm of the engine. So no a converter that works ok on a 400hp engine won't come close to working properly with double the power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a easy one. Bison's 60-1 w/.85 3 bolt..PTC N/L. Bison... Talk about customer service! There is guy who stands behind his product. Everyone likes him and never heard one bad thing about him.

Joe

Last edited:
Bison is one of the guys that give real world tests on our cars to help all of us to get faster. Glad we have him on this board.