Fuel System upgrade for 9 sec (non E85) ?

Scott89TTA

When I 1st started my new engine build for my TTA this time last year my plans were a little different then then they are now and I'm now wondering if the Aeromotive Stealth 340 I was going to run will still be enough for my new build. Originally the goal was upper 500’s-low 600’s rwhp and low 10’s now I'm looking for 9's and somewhere around 650-700+ whp now with my new build. I'm not running yet and haven't touched my fuel system in the car yet either. I bumped my injectors up from 80# to 120# and am using Champion fuel rails now after some calculations and recommendations to give me some room if I decide to turn it up to 28-30 psi on race gas. Normally (Street tune) I'll be running 93 pump with a dual alky setup. So thoughts on a new fuel system…Aeromotive Stealth 340 enough or do I need to go with something else maybe the new Walbro 450, Dual Stealth 340 or comparable setup, external pump maybe? I also plan to bump my fuel lines up to -6 & -8 and switch to an Aeromotive filter vs the stock lines and filter. I currently have the Racetronix hotwire kit installed and also have the recommended Racetronix bulkhead wire upgrade recommended by Racetronix.

Specs on new build: Fully built Anderson Performance 109...0.040 over Ross forged pistons, K1 rods, Eagle crank, billet mains, custom grind Comp 220/220 roller cam, Morel roller lifters, internal balance, TA cover, RJC deep sump pan, Champion ported TTA heads, Harlan Sharp 1.64 roller rockers, Champion ported intake, Champion fuel rails, 120# injectors, Accufab billet regulator, GN1 plenum, 1" Champion spacer, Accufab 70mm TB, Alkycontrol dual nozzle, Precision billet 7168hpq, Precision PW46 external gate, AMS500 boost controller, Fast XFI, etc.

I am told the motor is capable of 700+ rwhp on C16 at 28-30 psi. Now I need to build the fuel system to support this motors potential with a little room to spare. I will have tunes for both 93 pump gas with Alky for the street and C16 for the track.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_20150321_123858_402.jpg
    IMG_20150321_123858_402.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 376
Why not just go ahead and run a Weldon pump and regulator to have piece of mind and room for growth? Or do you want to keep an in tank setup?

Why not just go ahead and run a Weldon pump and regulator to have piece of mind and room for growth? Or do you want to keep an in tank setup?
Something to consider...my buddy ended up adding a sump to his tank and going external after burning up several in tank pumps. His last motor/turbo combo was almost identical to mine now he is Stage II and definitely needed the fuel pump upgrade. Do I need to add a sump to the bottom of the tank to go external or can I come in the top like the stock in tank setup? I'm sure I'll change things as needed once it's in and running...the rear has to come out to swap in a 9" I have as well but doing some mild inner fender work (not quite mini tub) and narrowing 1st so that may not happen until next winter. If I'm going to mod the tank that would be a better time. I can do a in tank swap easily since I installed an access in the back several years ago.

Attachments

• DSC04581.JPG
    DSC04581.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 253
I run a Weldon 1100 external pump on my street car. -8/-6 aeroquip TFE lines, stock tank with a RobbsMc anodized half inch pickup and sender in the stock location.
I was reading about the A1000 may shorten it's life if run pulling from the stock location vs installing a rear bottom sump. Do you have a link for the RobbsMc unit?

I ave heard you could do that with some....how exactly do you mount the pump in the tank, on a modified stock hanger?

No, cut a hole in the tank with a plate and fab the inside with a custom pickup etc

I ran an a1000 pulling from stock location, 1/2" pickup, in my old mustang for 6 years with no controller. My daily driven car. I sold that pump and it's still going. My Cobra had a sump, Weldon 2035db, Weldon controller and Reg, loud as hell (literally three times louder than A1000) but totally streetable.
The formula for lph needs is easy. HP x .42 So if your motor makes 750hp it needs 315lph (that has a built in 20% extra for peace of mind) So a 340 pump will be plenty. Datalogs will show you if you need more (as will your head gaskets and pistons if you are not datalogging:))

Thoughts on the Aeromotive A1000 external pump?

Scott don't get caught up in bigger is better ... twin 255's are plenty to fuel that on gas .. if you want to really get carried away twin DW301's are WAY over kill and simple to install .

FYI 80's are WAY plenty injector on fuel for what your doing ... 72's have been pushed to 9.6's ...

Keep it simple