Cadillac confirms 420-hp twin-turbo V6 for 2014 CTS

if the Caddy gets 420hp, then the Buick likely gets a detuned version that puts out 350hp.

886705_10200133776679480_864032810_o.jpg

Nice photo chop ^:D

I was given a similar link to the specs by a fellow GN owner and Cadillac employee today: http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...news/us/en/2013/Mar/nyas/0318-lf3-engine.html

I would hope that a de-tuned version would not be used in the GN rebirth. I am certainly impressed with the description of its strong foundation and the fact that it is only utilizing 12# of boost to achieve these numbers. I can imagine that the after market will be working hard to unlock more of its potential as soon as it is available.

Direct Injection = no aftermarket support. It'll fade soon after release as the Ford's Ecoboost.

Nuts ur nuts..There may not be any in the beginning but if they put this motor in the right cars and said cars kick names and take a$$ the the aftermarket will come...Julio is making alky kits for the ecoboost and it isnt even in anything cool yet....Look at the aftermarket for the gn when it first came out or for the ls cars slow at first then BOOOM !!!!!!!!

Why anyone would be excited about a CTS with 136 less hp than the current (and outgoing) CTSV is beyond me. It was developed to get better mpg.

Thats fine im glad its going in the Cadillac first there will be that many more engines produced,there will be that much more aftermarket support they can work the bugs out before it gets to the GN, It will prolly get overlooked(due to the cts-v) until its gets in a buick and starts making stupid power then everyone will want one....:cool:

Screw aftermarket support, let me start tweaking the ECM with EFI Live.

Sounds like fun.

I say bring it.

I am not sure how much is left on these turbos, but with 20psi and alky this should make over 550hp.

I Dont see an intercooler in that Cadi, doubt it will make much power without cooling the charge with a nice intercooler..

Direct Injection = no aftermarket support. It'll fade soon after release as the Ford's Ecoboost.

direct injection is the way of the future- just like sequential injection and distributorless ignition was the way of the future when Buick started installing that stuff on the turbocharged Regals and GN's in '84...
they figured out how to work with DI in the turbocharged Cobalts, i think there are go-fast goodies for V6 Camaros that have all been DI motors since they came out in 2010, and they will definitely be figuring things out on the new lineup of GM V8 engines that are coming out later this year..
it might take some time, but the aftermarket will figure out this direct injection thing and hack into the ecms once they get their grubby little fingers on them..

Fade? No aftermarket support? You sir are terribly mis-informed!

There are a number of high profile companies supporting the Ford and GM DI turbo'd motors!! Livornois Motorsports being at the top of the heap. There's already a large number of Ford Ecoboost Flex's and Tuarus SHO's run in the 12.7 and quicker range with nothing more than a LMS tune. The potential is tremendeous!
Keep in mind that average Flex tips the scales at over 4,800# with driver. Do the math yourself, how much horsepower does it take to get 4,800# down the track to the tune of a 12.7 @ 109+

Geez, even my MKT (bone stock) runs 14.7's. It, weighs 5,000# even before I get in!! That's new, bone stock GN kind of numbers.

Nope, DI is here to stay, and the aftermarket is already on board and hitting big numbers.

Oh, and BTW, Ecoboost has hardly faded away. The sales numbers are staggering! And I suspect that GM (even though they're 4 years behind) will enjoy the same success with their DI turbo'd motors.

I do worry a bit about why GM decided to put two small intercoolers up in the intake manifold on the V6 though. Heat soak is going to be massive there.

Ford has managed to package a massive front mount intercooler on their V6 Ecoboost setups which seems to be working out quite well.

I do worry a bit about why GM decided to put two small intercoolers up in the intake manifold on the V6 though. Heat soak is going to be massive there.

packaging and weight.. is heat soak a problem with the ZR1 Vettes and ZL1 Camaros with their supercharged engines that have the charge cooler in the intake manifold? all the heat gets carried via coolant to a a radiator in front of the main radiator and dispersed that way..

The main limitation to the Ecoboost motors is fueling. There are bigger DI's out there, however the mechanical high pressure pump cannot handle the flow. So now we need someone to come up with an aftermarket high pressure pump and the sky is the limit with these cars. I have a friend with a Flex who runs mid 12's with a tune, intake, exhaust cutout, and small shot of nitrous. There are plenty of EB owners running mid 12's on pump gas and alky with nothing else but a tune. Get some more fuel and bigger turbos and you're looking at 11's no problem. My friend is working on that too.

Why anyone would be excited about a CTS with 136 less hp than the current (and outgoing) CTSV is beyond me. It was developed to get better mpg.

Because this engine isn't going in the CTS-V. It's going in the regular CTS as a uplift option to the current base 305HP NA 3.6L V6. The new CTS-V will come out one or two years after this with a V8 and gobs more power, just like the last two generations.

The main limitation to the Ecoboost motors is fueling. There are bigger DI's out there, however the mechanical high pressure pump cannot handle the flow. So now we need someone to come up with an aftermarket high pressure pump and the sky is the limit with these cars. I have a friend with a Flex who runs mid 12's with a tune, intake, exhaust cutout, and small shot of nitrous. There are plenty of EB owners running mid 12's on pump gas and alky with nothing else but a tune. Get some more fuel and bigger turbos and you're looking at 11's no problem. My friend is working on that too.

Mike, I know who you're talking about. He's quite the innovator. But has he acually found and tried bigger DI's, and found the HPFP flow to be not up to snuff?? I'm wondering what tests have been done.
the lines look pretty well sized, and even my stocker shows over 2500 psi during data logging. I know psi isn't everything, but the inlet and outlet lines look nicely sized.

I'll have to follow up with him and ask how he came to the conclusion about the high pressure pump.