1800 HP Twin Turbo Grand National!

Idk where you been ny but most of the car world outside of tr land things our motors are shit. How many times have i heard at car shows "oh atill have the v6? Theyre so unreliable,tempermental etc. Almost like someone that is solely a single turbo guy and says youre killing buick engines idea of making power bc youre using 2 not one like the factory and the rest of the 99.9% percent of the community. I bleed Buick always have always will but these swaps dont "kill" ppls preception of our motors,they have been thinking theyre ahit for years and always will.

This is completely false in my experience. I used to have a stock motor. I didn't have issues with reliability. Sure, things break. Alternators go bad. Brakes need changing, radiators corrode, water pumps fail. These are used cars. I have never "blown-up" a motor or blow a head gasket. My stock motor got tired. It was due. When you push things they break. I'm not much of a pusher. But it was easy for inexperienced tuners to blow things up 30 years ago. All they had to do was turn a knob. You couldn't do that with a Mustang, Iroc, or Monte Carlo.

And this is what I tell people when they say those things. Basically, I tell them the truth. That I'm not the sharpest tuner in the land. Yet, somehow I manage to drive this thing everywhere. So that must mean they were just fucking retarded. People will blame anything or anyone but themselves. Just like my Millennial daughter! Never her fault! Because everyone who knows anything about these engines, knows it's always the owners fault when we blow something up.

And then, just like my Millennial daughter, peoples feelings are hurt and they are offended.

You completely missed the whole point. And then just like a grouchy old man,he only reads what he wants to read lol

Hey I’m from Yonkers also, South broadway area .
Point is this , what makes a Turbobuick special is the turbo v6 anything else and you have a regal with a v8. One reason these cars are going up in value is the number of cars that still obtain the v6. It’s becoming more common and cost effective for people to swap to a ls. Me personally I love the look on people’s faces when they see it’s only a little v6 under the hood. Coyote swap is definitely not your common ls swap, it’s different for sure.

I can appreciate the effort for a different build but do like to see original engines used. I feel disappointed when I see a nice GTO or 442 an there is a LS in it or a sbc. I also believe a lot of this is the false notion that the LS is cheap hp. When built right for longevity and hp a LS is still costly. Too many stories of j$300 unkyard engines making 800 hp are floating around.

Reactions: TLI
Also I think a lot of the "car" shows are dumbing down the process. There is more fabrication and tuning involved, not to mention the rest of the parts needed for a high hp engine. Going to a cruise night or show it's easy to see who has skills and who is just slamming shit together with bubble gum welds. I don't know Joe but from the description of his accomplishments, I'm sure the build is sharp. I have met Joey and I know his build quality and passion is fanatical. I do agree with Joey on the point that the more people see an LS or some other engine in a GN that they assume the V6 is a joke. I would say that for the typical street car I see around here, the Turbo Buick v6 can easily wipe them out.

Also I think a lot of the "car" shows are dumbing down the process.

I do agree with Joey on the point that the more people see an LS or some other engine in a GN that they assume the V6 is a joke. I would say that for the typical street car I see around here, the Turbo Buick v6 can easily wipe them out.

What I meant to say was:

It's the internet that's dumbing down the average person. Car shows are a place to educate people.

The web makes everything seem easy and spreads a lot of false information. At the car show is where the owners can debunk the lies and misconceptions which is why I agree that it should be done with v-6 Buick based power. The heart of these cars is the engine. I've owned my car since they came out and every time some one said, "You ought to put a v-8 in it." and I would reply, "Why? So I could slow it down." I would then take their confusion as an opening to educate them on what a TR really is.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a firm supporter of "It's your car, you can do what ever you want with it" and I appreciate any well put together car from a simple sbc car to a top fuel or Riddler winner, but some cars are just meant to be certain ways. A
turbo Regal is not a turbo Regal without a v-6 turbo powering it, even if it's not the fastest car at the show. Anything else is just another car. Once the heart of a GN is swapped for a v-8 then it is no longer a GN. It is just a sheet metal shell that doesn't really matter.

This is going to be an awesome showcase of a car no matter what body it is going to be wearing, but what it really will not be is a Grand National. Truthfully, it might as well be a Mustang. :)

I read through THREE pages and no pix? All "talk" no action. For a fabricator, I want some pix. This is on par with the reality shows like gmg, and that new Aaron shows with the arclight thing, and the rest. Too much jawing and not enough wrenching.

I can respect what anyone wants and does to their car. I wont agree with much but I keep it to myself.

So, We want PIX!

Hey I’m from Yonkers also, South broadway area . Point is this , what makes a Turbobuick special is the turbo v6 anything else and you have a regal with a v8. One reason these cars are going up in value is the number of cars that still obtain the v6. It’s becoming more common and cost effective for people to swap to a ls. Me personally I love the look on people’s faces when they see it’s only a little v6 under the hood. Coyote swap is definitely not your common ls swap, it’s different for sure.

Brooklyn/Queens here, and I agree.

And in my opinion, the turbo V6 had the advantage back in the 80's and 90's, so there really wasn't much needed to take out whatever was out there lurking on the street. But once guys started fabricating turbo systems on V8's and larger a la 2000 and beyond, it was more difficult for a two valve per cylinder V6 to keep up without grenading itself a tad more frequently, so you see more and more members jumping on the swap bandwagon. The LC2 is far from "shit", it was very innovative when it came out, but the lack of further development through GM choosing to keep the plug pulled on the Grand National kept it from getting better and better. As far as the GN with the Coyote swap, I think it's cool, but would have rather seen it dropped into a 81-87 Regal if it was meant as an experiment and something different. Pulling the V6 out of a GN for another make doesn't feel right to me, its like pulling an LT5 from a C4 Corvette and putting in something that just doesn't belong, regardless if it makes more power, as both original engines are unique and legendary. But a basic C4 Corvette, hell drop in whatever you want because the L98/LT1 was common garbage. Not the greatest analogy, but you pretty much get the gist of what I am saying. Carry on... :)

The way I look at it there are 3 choices; put a Buick turbo 6 engine in there, put another engine in there or just junk it. The best choice would be to put the Buick V6 in there and the worst one would be to junk it. The way I look at it, it's better to have it alive with a non traditional engine than dead with no engine. Yea I would probably be :( when I saw the engine but then :) when I heard it makes 1800 HP!

I must be a weirdo or something because it was the body style, the lines of the GN that always got me. It is so sinister and mysterious all at the same time. Then when you feel the G's and learn it is a V6, well shit, there is no other car anymore...

A $5k Coyote Motor that handles 1800 hp? The billet crank may be $5k but certainly not the entire motor. Im not hating on it I love Coyote motors.....:) They love boost! Mine I'm sure isn't half of what his is and I paid $17k for mine so $5k sounds a little off.

You may be the one on spiked koolaid! :)

Joe is a very talented fabricator and has done much of the work. His ambition is always pushing the "envelope" for better parts and solutions.

He is also a very smart guy as the complete Coyote engine was $5K, and has also was able to work with a few suppliers that donated some parts!

A few turbo Buick items like a billet fuel sender, lots of custom headers, other items, and his wiring knowledge and skills is another major talent as has done many GN builds with me from basic street cars to 7 sec. GN's!

He also has done some parts like a billet PS reservoir for the GN, and many items for other makes of cars.

Here's the bottom line.

IT'S HIS CAR!

HE CAN DO WHAT EVER THE HELL HE WANT'S TO DO WITH IT.

Get over it. It's HIS car!

I'm certain many of the naysayers in here have done something to their junk that I might disagree with, too. Do what you will. It's YOUR car. Joe can do what he want's with HIS car. That's how it works.

Rant over.

Last edited:
This is completely false in my experience. I used to have a stock motor. I didn't have issues with reliability. Sure, things break. Alternators go bad. Brakes need changing, radiators corrode, water pumps fail. These are used cars. I have never "blown-up" a motor or blow a head gasket. My stock motor got tired. It was due. When you push things they break. I'm not much of a pusher. But it was easy for inexperienced tuners to blow things up 30 years ago. All they had to do was turn a knob. You couldn't do that with a Mustang, Iroc, or Monte Carlo.

And this is what I tell people when they say those things. Basically, I tell them the truth. That I'm not the sharpest tuner in the land. Yet, somehow I manage to drive this thing everywhere. So that must mean they were just fucking retarded. People will blame anything or anyone but themselves. Just like my Millennial daughter! Never her fault! Because everyone who knows anything about these engines, knows it's always the owners fault when we blow something up.

And then, just like my Millennial daughter, peoples feelings are hurt and they are offended.
Keep your chin up Joe, there comes a time when our millennial daughters cut out the bullshit and start resorting to the values we've "attempted" to teach them, you'll know it when it happens and the greatest feeling of gratitude you'll ever know. Mine is 23 and life has been good for a couple years now.

If you post in lounge you get responses, and the horsepower was estimated according to the link I read.

$50K into the chassis too. :rolleyes:

I'll get over it when this thread goes poof, I mean to the proper V8 motor swap folder somewhere in a dark corner. :p

It's the lounge here, I'm sure comments are always appreciated, that's how it works lol... :eek:

If you post in lounge you get responses, and the horsepower was estimated according to the link I read.

$50K into the chassis too. :rolleyes:

I'll get over it when this thread goes poof, I mean to the proper V8 motor swap folder somewhere in a dark corner. :p

It's the lounge here, I'm sure comments are always appreciated, that's how it works lol... :eek:

That "poof" might not ever happen, much to you're chagrin. Prepare to deal with it.

Keep your chin up Joe, there comes a time when our millennial daughters cut out the bullshit and start resorting to the values we've "attempted" to teach them, you'll know it when it happens and the greatest feeling of gratitude you'll ever know. Mine is 23 and life has been good for a couple years now.
Thank you for giving me something to look forward to. I here from many that this will soon happen.

Sometimes it seems her mother and I get constant barrage of instructional lecture about etiquette, political correctness, and peoples feelings. One night a few weeks back, when out for dinner , she was embarrassed by how her mother held a wine glass!

I explained how much more embarrassed she was about to become when I nearly jumped over the table to strangle her.

If she only new what her mother and I have done to earn the right to feel and say whatever we wanted. If she only new why it doesn't even remotely bother a real man when someone calls him an asshole (as I was earlier in this thread) or a guinea-whop-zip-greaseball.

Even when young, I always new what my father had done to earn that right. All I had to do was look into his tiered eyes and those over-sized scarred and swollen hands and I knew. Now I have those eyes and hands and they are even worse than his were. But unlike me, she has been influenced by the "entitled mentality".

She has achieved more at her age than I had done at the same age. She may quickly catch-up with the life experiences of most people much older than herself. I'm very proud of her, she's as perfect as any daughter could be. But she's not there yet and this is one thing that she needs to grow out of.

That "poof" might not ever happen, much to you're chagrin. Prepare to deal with it.

I'm afraid you are correct my friend. This thread and others like it will continue to plague us from now on and become more frequent.

And in a few years time we may be using our V6's for planters. I can get 6 tomato plants to grow nicely out of my motor.

When I go to car shows, I see all the g-bodies parked together. I'm not invited to park with them and no one calls me the night before to scheduled our arrival together (and some actually have my phone number). I park alone and the crowd stands in front of my car taking cell phone pics and calling their friends over to take a look.

I guess this will change soon. I'll have to beg to be with the cool crowd. I hope I can make friends with the common folk. I hope they even let me into the show with my V6 junk. Maybe I'll park outside on the street and put a sign on the car......."For sale or trade for 1998 Toyota Corolla"

Can I trade my TA block setup for a 1500 rwhp coyote motor installed. Come on Joe. You can build 2 of them lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Can I trade my TA block setup for a 1500 rwhp coyote motor installed. Come on Joe. You can build 2 of them lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Sooner or later you may not be able to trade it for lawnmower.