Billet 62/62 vs 61 intercooler carnage

YouLikeThat

This isn't scientific but with the old setup I was running 28lbs with a PT61. I took it out tonight to test with the billet 62/62. When I got it up to 22lbs this is what happened.

I was hoping to get it to the track this weekend but I'm not sure if I'll be able too get it repaired in time.
interkidscrowncentermisc086.jpg

interkidscrowncentermisc085.jpg

interkidscrowncentermisc083.jpg

Looks like faulty welding on that intercooler. I hope you can get it fixed 'cause I'd like to see what it'll do at the track.

well, hopefully there was a bad spot on the welding because I'm going to get it welded back up and if it happens again I'm scrapping this thing.

I love the intercooler. My brother built it and he does excellent work (He builds 2000+ HP cars and knows his ****) and I don't want to spend a grand on a precision.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, the car is definitely going to fly once you're up and going again. Looking at your combo and results with the 61 turbo, I'd say you will definitely have more 10 second time slips in the near future with the 62 turbo. I agree with the re-weld, you should be fine, but if you need another intercooler I'm sure we could accommodate you.

Just for the record, we still sell our Buick Front Mount intercooler kit for $699.99. Comes complete with all pipes, hoses, clamps and mounting hardware.

Just throwing that out there.
Keep us posted.

Patrick

Just for the record, we still sell our Buick Front Mount intercooler kit for $699.99. Comes complete with all pipes, hoses, clamps and mounting hardware.

Just throwing that out there.
Keep us posted.

Patrick
What's the link on your intercooler?

I dropped it off at my brothers shop. He's trying to get his Pinto ready for this weekend so I don't think he will have it done:frown: I"m bummed out.

He said he built one identical to mine for an Evo that runs 45+ pounds of boost and they haven't had a problem, so I'll get it repaired and hopefully hit the track in the next few weeks.
Scott

Without welding straps overh the flat sections on the intercooler and keeping them from flexing this will happen over and over again.

Well, our website is slightly dated, but here are the links that show the basic intercooler itself.

If you'd like, I can email you the official instruction manual

Patrick

Patrick,
I thought I replied to this a while back. Sorry I didn't get back to you. my plans are to give it another try and if it blows up again I'm going to throw it in the f'in trash.

So, I just picked up my repaired intercooler. It's reinforced and I gave it a quick polish job and I'm going to reinstall it tonight and go make a couple hits at the track tomorrow...Hopefully.
SR
intcoolermisc586.jpg

intcoolermisc585.jpg

intcoolermisc584.jpg

This isn't scientific but with the old setup I was running 28lbs with a PT61. I took it out tonight to test with the billet 62/62. When I got it up to 22lbs this is what happened.

I was hoping to get it to the track this weekend but I'm not sure if I'll be able too get it repaired in time.

interkidscrowncentermisc085.jpg

Could be the picture, but I see decent fusion of the metal on the upper part of the cooler but it looks like there is none on the bottom section.

Hopefully it is all good now. Let us know how the new turbo runs.

Could be the picture, but I see decent fusion of the metal on the upper part of the cooler but it looks like there is none on the bottom section.

Hopefully it is all good now. Let us know how the new turbo runs.

Will do. this is a last minute deal so I'm not really hoping for any great times. at this point I'll be happy if I make it to the track.

I think I'll start me a what will it run thread:D

SR

If you were initially running higher pressure with a PT61, I'm confused about the failure at a lower psi. Do you attribute that to the 62/62 or was it just a coincidence?

If you were initially running higher pressure with a PT61, I'm confused about the failure at a lower psi. Do you attribute that to the 62/62 or was it just a coincidence?

The failure has nothing to do with the turbo used. Its the aluminum flexing back and forth on and off boost. Its like bending a non malleable wire back and forth over and over again until it breaks. There are actually guidelines for gauge of sheet aluminum used the the amount of surface area per axis which will minimize/eliminate the flexing and failure.

The failure has nothing to do with the turbo used. Its the aluminum flexing back and forth on and off boost. Its like bending a non malleable wire back and forth over and over again until it breaks. There are actually guidelines for gauge of sheet aluminum used the the amount of surface area per axis which will minimize/eliminate the flexing and failure.

That is why the higher doller units are 1 peice end tanks, I had this happen to me once also.

I didn't think it had anything to do with any specific turbo, it just seemed odd that the I/C survived higher pressures earlier and failed at a lower psi. Thanks for the explaination bison.