Big letdown.....

Superrmario

Obviously I am new to the forum and received a ton of help from you guys in the past week. If you read my other thread, I had Alky injection issue and with your help as well as a phone call to Julio, I was able to get it resolved. I just got the car which makes this even more aggravating. The car was suppose to go to the body shop Tuesday to get sheet metal and paint.

Once I got the Alky kit operating right I started to bring in more boost a pound at a time starting at 10lbs. My O2's were on par floating from 750-850ish with 0KR as I brought up the boost to 15lbs. I turned it up to 16lbs and made another pass which again gave healthy Scan master readings.

I get out of the car to play with the boost controller again as I was trying to get her to 18lbs and be done....

I hear from car Knock, Knock, Knock, Knock and my heart sunk. I run back to the driver side and look at my oil pressure and I am floating at 40lbs which I know is plenty fine. Even now, If I start the car cold it idles with 60lbs of oil pressure. When I purchased the car, the car didn't hesitate on start up. Now it has a slight miss on startup and once it warms up its fine.

I started listening more and more with a stethoscope and I thought I pinpointed it to the rear of the engine. But today I really cant find a exact location on the motor. I pulled the VC off and checked the rockers and shaft while the car was off and running and everything is tight. The knock gets louder, faster and more pronounced as I add RPM. I thought maybe collapsed lifter so I pressed down on the pushrods on Cylinder 3 and 5 and they are solid and not spongy

I did read that the TQ converter bolts to the flex plate can sometimes come loose. I get under the car and they are all tight as nails.

I am already debating on doing a full rebuild, but if I don't have to, I don't want to. Being new to the motor, anyone have any thoughts?

Here is a video.. let me know what you may have in mind.

Are you sure it's not a loose bracket somewhere on the front of the engine?

Not sure... everything looks tight although I know that doesn't mean it is LOL..

I have to run some errands and then I will check it out. Hopefully that is before the snow gets here.

By the way.. After the knocking started, I was reading 11-18 degrees of KR at 35mph on the scan master. I would obviously say this is false knock.

By the way.. After the knocking started, I was reading 11-18 degrees of KR at 35mph on the scan master. I would obviously say this is false knock.
I would say that is a real knock , the SM was telling the truth , that my friend is rod knocking for sure , SAD FACE !!!!! plus you will still have oil pressure with a rod bearing out .

Last edited:
Time to cut open the oil filter. With the mods and clenliness of that engine there's a change you have a magnetic drain plug. Pop that out too.

If you're VERY LUCKY it's a loose intercooler bolt. The make a very similar sound, but it wouldn't be coming from the back of the engine.

Also, you can't put 100% faith in the oil pressure reading. If main bearing turns, or the whole gets smeared over, the gauge will read fine while at least 1 rod gets starved.

It was hard to tell with the wind noise on the video... but valvetrain issues are more of a 'tick', bottom end issues are more of a 'clunk'.

Pretty sure I made out a couple of good 'clunks'.

Could your belt tensioner be failing? Pull the belt off, and start her up and see if the noise continues.

I find it amazing that you even have to run alky at such low boost levels!! Or that the engine could be hurt at those levels!! What octane is your premium fuel where you're at???????

^^^^^Agreed. I had a similar noise that only was present cold and I never did find it. Whatever was hitting must have clearanced itself as the noise is gone now. Hope you are this lucky. Keep at it. And welcome to owning a TR. It's usually something simple but hard to find, and you'll be satisfied to no end when you find it and frustrated as hell in the meantime.

be aware when listed for sale it stated having melted down #6 piston and all pistons were replaced , how long ago this was i dont know but could have been other issues from the meltown beyond pistons or what condition that caused the meltdown went unfixed after the repair ...you say when you got it o2s were very low , could have been hurt boosting it lean either by you or prev owner
That does not sound good at all ,

Takes about 30 minutes to pull pan will know for sure that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Takes about 30 minutes to pull pan will know for sure that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes !! ?? I just got back up stairs from pulling mine. Took substantially more than an hour, probably closer to two. But then again, I pulled the crossover, AND the starter to make access easier.