Auto insurance- Grundy vs. Hagerty

ANDYS87

I did online quotes for a $25,000 agreed value 87 GN from both companies. Hagerty was close to $900 per year. Grundy was a little over $200 per year. What's the deal? Is Hagerty overpriced, or is Grundy a crappy company? What company have you guys had good luck with, with classic cars? Also, should I be registering my 87 as historic? Does this make any difference with insurance rates?

Grundy has my 87T. Right at $200/yr for 20K agreed value.
Hagerty had my 55 Chevy. $50K agreed, about $400/yr.
Not sure what you are seeing the big difference.
Historic vehicle may have serious mileage restrictions, where, when, you can drive it.

I have mine with Grundy for 21k for 325 a year but I have all my mods listed. That way if it's stolen and I get the car back and the motor and trans is missing they won't try to replace it with stock parts.

I represent both companies. Both companies are good. Hagerty charges more on our cars due to certain insurance internal rating factors. I run my car every year waiting for the rate to go down but it has not as of yet. Hagerty also claims that they sometime charge more but if there is a gray area when a claim arises they are more prone to simply paying it vs. their competition who may try and get off. Like I said if you use the car as agreed to the classic/collector terms and conditions both companies mentioned above are wonderful.

I have my 5 turbo Buicks insured for a total of $500 a year with average of $20K for each car, and this is with "A" rated insurance company.

Hagerty was charging me $500 for one car?

Common sense is I can only drive one car at a time!

Those are both very good/reputable companies in the car hobby.
It would seem that something must be different between the 2 policies quoted. Were they both for "collector car" type coverage? And you have a D.D.? Maybe talk to someone at each place on the phone?
From what I've been told over the years, the "collector car" insurance price for cars over 25 years old is basically $xx per thousand dollars of car value.
I have 4 "old" cars insured (including the GN and TTA) with total value of over $125K, my total premium is $800. (have been with Condon-Skelly for over 30 years)
Hope you get the difference figured out.

Last edited:
When I looked into mine, I thought I saw in the fine print Grundy had a provision that i had to insure my daily driver with them as a condition for the collector insurance. Not sure if that is still true anymore. I was gonna go with Hagerty, but after I filled out the online app, the rep called me to interview me about my car. He ran through a bunch of questions one of which was does my vehicle have nitrous or blown alcohol injection system. Since my car had a regular alky injection setup, I asked for details and wanted to be as truthful as I could to make sure I woudl be covered in the event of a loss. From the moment I said I had alcohol, he wouldn't insure me. I tried to explain that I don't have what he thinks I have, and lots of guys on this board have alky and are covered without issue from Hagerty. He said if I wanted to pursue the matter, I could arrange to have my vehicle inspected with them, but I would end up paying a premium for it. I tried calling back to get a different agent, but my info was already tagged.

I ended up going though a local insurance guy. he was able to get a quote from Hagerty (at a lower price than what was online) and assured me there woudn't be any issues with my Alky. He also got a quote from American Modern that was MUCH cheaper than Hagerty. He also told me if I join GSCA they would give me an additional 'car club' discount, so I went with American Modern. Hasn't been a year yet, and only put 130 miles on my car before i stored it. But so far no complaints LOL. I'll have to seen what happens if I ever have a claim, but I like having a local guy to call. He sent me a Dunkin Donut gift card for the holidays. I Love the personal touch. I don't think companies do enough of that anymore.

I also go through a local insurance agent that has been working with me for almost 35 years. Made sure I was satisfied with any claim I had to make. I pay $96 / 6 months for $35k agreed value. But I do have a mileage limit of 3500 per year. No problem for me as its not a daily driver. I also think I made a new TB fan out of him as he is a car guy too.

I am going to call both companies and talk to someone, then compare. Both online forms were pretty much the same. My GN will only be driven 1-2k miles per year. I do have a daily driver insured thru a local agent- who won't be my agent much longer! Long story, but Snake Farm isn't the company that I thought it was.

I have never looked into the historical plates/ registration. Is anyone doing this? I live in New York State.

Thanks for the replies!

I have Grundy. The cost for my GN is about $200/yr for $25K. I also have my '34 ford street rod covered through them.
What mattered most to me was how they treated me when I had a claim.
I damaged my front driver side fender on my GN, they sent someone out to inspect the damage, he filled out their report and sent it into the insurance company.
I got a call from them within 2 days instructing me to get a quote from whoever I want to perform the repairs. And that I could have the work done when ever I want to, no time frame.
They payed quickly and let me know that if there were any "hidden surprises" that come up during the repairs, to just call, supply them with receipts and they would send me another check. Which they did.
I am extremely happy with the service I got from them when I needed it the most.
Now we are looking into having our daily drivers covered as well.

When I purchased my GN last fall, I contacted Hagerty first, as my work buddy uses them. They wouldn't insure me, due to the fact that I have 4 drivers in my household and only 3 DD's. (My girls are in college and share a car) They said that it was possible that one of the girls would drive the Buick....yeah, Ok! My next call was to Grundy, and they had no issues with the fact that I have more drivers than cars. Plus their price was much cheaper! So far so good. (y)

I have Grundy $275 for $30,000 agreed value and I do not have my DD's insured through them , not required .
Where in NY are you located ? I'm near Rochester .

I’m in MA and have Grundy. They go thru Philadelphia insurance if I’m not mistaken.

$25.000 agreed upon value all done online and instant approval.
It’s around $265 per year. I just had to prove I had a daily driver with paperwork.

After approval made the call, paid and done.

No antique plates. There are stipulations though.

You can’t take it to work and such but car shows are ok and the occasional drive.

There is a site that shows every cars show everywhere everyday. so i’m told.

May come in handy in case of disaster.

And they WILL NOT PAY if it’s proven you were racing and such.

Cheap money to drive around though.

D

I tried to insure with them, but they turned me down because my car is kept in a carport. Has that changed?

I am with American Collectors 250 a year for 25,000 agreed value hasn't went up in 3 years.Grundy raised me every year till upwards of 350 for the same agreed value, Haggerty was way to high from the beginning.American collectors Gives you 5000 miles a year and the car has to be in the garage with the address you provided unless you tell them differently.Don't know if area matters I am in Rockland County New York.

I tried to insure with them, but they turned me down because my car is kept in a carport. Has that changed?

No it hasn't. One of the requirements of the policy is that the vehicle must be stored in an enclosed garage. I also had to sign a form stating that no one under the age of 25 will operate the vehicle.

I'm near Orchard Park. Go Bills- ha
wb's87 ( Bill Brooks ) is right near you & I'm about an hour +15 to the east . We meet up at Empire Dragway and other TB friends during the summer . We are both going to Turbobuick . Com Nationals in NC. this May . You should check it out , with or without your car , good times . Sam

When I looked into mine, I thought I saw in the fine print Grundy had a provision that i had to insure my daily driver with them as a condition for the collector insurance. Not sure if that is still true anymore. I was gonna go with Hagerty, but after I filled out the online app, the rep called me to interview me about my car. He ran through a bunch of questions one of which was does my vehicle have nitrous or blown alcohol injection system. Since my car had a regular alky injection setup, I asked for details and wanted to be as truthful as I could to make sure I woudl be covered in the event of a loss. From the moment I said I had alcohol, he wouldn't insure me. I tried to explain that I don't have what he thinks I have, and lots of guys on this board have alky and are covered without issue from Hagerty. He said if I wanted to pursue the matter, I could arrange to have my vehicle inspected with them, but I would end up paying a premium for it. I tried calling back to get a different agent, but my info was already tagged.

I ended up going though a local insurance guy. he was able to get a quote from Hagerty (at a lower price than what was online) and assured me there woudn't be any issues with my Alky. He also got a quote from American Modern that was MUCH cheaper than Hagerty. He also told me if I join GSCA they would give me an additional 'car club' discount, so I went with American Modern. Hasn't been a year yet, and only put 130 miles on my car before i stored it. But so far no complaints LOL. I'll have to seen what happens if I ever have a claim, but I like having a local guy to call. He sent me a Dunkin Donut gift card for the holidays. I Love the personal touch. I don't think companies do enough of that anymore.
I have American Modern also, through AAA. Back in 2014 I had to file a claim when my engine was vandalized. They were great to deal with and worked with my shop of choice to get everything right again. I have heard good things about Grundy and I believe they have something called MVP where they will insure your daily and collector car if they are both garaged. Heard mixed reviews about Hagerty.