Car Insurance... Grundy, Hagerty, other??

National Newb

:confused: Dont know if this is the right forum to post this, so my appologies if it is the wrong spot...

I am endevoring to get myself some classic auto insurance.. tried to read through most of the posts, but could not find too many people who have made a total loss claim....The true test of an insurance company..

I have a garage, will put less than 3,000 miles a year, have a daily driver for both my wife and myself, dont drive the gn to work or destination driving...just pleasure now and then and car shows...understand the difference between agreed and stated value..(I want agreed).

:mad: BUT!!! I want to be covered if during that pleasure cruise with my wife and 3 year old daughter we stop at fridays to get a bite...and somneone steals my GN.

Hagerty quoted apx 550, grundy apx 350,......

Any assistance or experience would be appretiated

I just got mine through condon and skelly. They were 250 and grundy was 550.I valued my car at 35000.I chose them because of this : Flexible Usage - We understand you actually drive your car occasionally and don't just watch it age in the garage. As long as the primary use is for hobby purposes, our program allows for an occasional leisure drive, not just to car shows and events

Repair Shop of your choice - Take your Antique or Street Rod to the repair shop you trust...after all, who knows what is best for your car

Agreed Value Coverage - Our agreed value coverage ensures that you will receive the amount your vehicle is insured for in the event of a covered total loss

I'm using American Collectors out of Cherry Hill,NJ.Less than 300p.year and similar coverage as what miz in the above post states.

I am using American Modern-$350 a year agreed value of $19000, no deductible and no hassles either. I hit a deer and they replaced everything with original parts. Downside-6000 miles a year, garage kept, and never leave the car unattended unless you are at a car show. They allow kids under 18 to be in the home they just can't drive the GN. Good luck- Brad

With Hagety I think if you can prove you were going to or from a cruise and your car is snatched they'd reimburse you, but call to confirm. I just know you're only supposed to use the car to car shows and such.

I am with Grundy. 450 or so a year for 23,000 value and that is with Michigan's BS 125 dollar insurance "fee" added in.

They have the same "we know you have to stop for food" thought as the others so no worries there.

Just don't drive to work/school/track and you are good to go.

Im using Rally insurance which i pay $320 a year with a agreed value of $28,000 and only can put 3000 miles a year which to me is'nt a problem,this year alone i put 1600 miles on.My other car are insured by State Farm

I would recommend to have your gn appraised to make sure that your insurance does'nt try to low ball you on a agreed value.You never know it might just get appraise for a couple of thousands dallors more:D than what you think it worth

Hagerty will give you NOTHING, if ANYthing happens to it, but theft from a car show, or out of your locked garage. Pretty worthless to anyone on this site.

If I were you, I'd ask them alllll sorts of questions. Sit down, and ask yourself about every possible scenario that could happen to your car, and write it down. Then ask those scenarios to the company. They will NOT offer any information, unless you specifically ask for it. Like for example. If my car got stolen from the garage, what's the minimum time you have to have coverage on it, before you get paid. Grundy said the coverage is immediate, but if it happens within a month, you won't be allowed to renew your policy any more. You're done. Find another company.

This is what I'm talking about. Ask them everything. I found, between the collector insurance USAA uses, State farms uses, Grundy, and Hagerty, that grundy was the best. They cover you for theft and accident, pretty much everywhere, unless you were at work, or usin the car for something you werent supposed to.
Trust me. Ask them everything. Like en route to a mechanic, fire, flood, what type of storage facility is required, etc etc....

Hagerty SUCKS - Absolutely DO NOT USE THEM. Their limited use policy basically rules out any reimbursement they would have to make if your car is damaged or stolen. Trust me, I found out the hard way on this one.

FWIW I currently use AAA's classic car insurance. All my cars are set on an agreed value and limited to 2500 miles a year or less. Prices are very reasonable and they understand that your car does not just get driven to shows (ie; you can drive it without worrying if you're covered for the specific use). The only drawback is that for values over $40k they make you get an appraisal. Not a big deal, but each appraisal will set you back $250 to $500.

Insurance

I have allstate insurance with full coverage. I'm sure that if it gets stolen that I'll get nothing from them. I don't know what company I can go with because my house does not have a garage and that one of the terms of alot of collector car insurance companys. I just kill the ECM power apply e-brake and use a car cover for it.

WOW... I was shocked at the negative comments toward Haggerty and worried... I have it on both my cars... I did have a claim when a Dog ran out in front of me and trashed the spolier on my TA... Haggerty was a pleasure... sent them the pictures... sent them the qoute from the shop of my choice and they cut me a check all in about a week no questions about why I was driving the car etc... I was just out pleasure riding ... That was about 5 years back so maybe they went to crap or something...I was feeling pretty good about them till I read this thread.

I was about to sign up with Haggerty but will definitely ask my agent more questions before I sign up. The agent never once mentioned anything about not being able to drive the car to work or school.

What are my options if I have a daily driver type GN, just go with State Farm or Allstate?

Yeah you also got this guy worrying too.

Never thought of Hagerty as a "don't use" insurance co.

Maybe I should have just kept the basic GEICO insurance on it and then gotten it appraised? Can an insurance co. argue if I have an appraisal that says my 87 Buick Regal is worth $8000?

Turbo6 what if the garage caught fire while the Regal was in it? Hagerty would not cover it? What if a tornado hit our house with the Regal inside?

Bodybag, please tell me more about your experience with Hagerty.

I was about to sign up with Haggerty but will definitely ask my agent more questions before I sign up. The agent never once mentioned anything about not being able to drive the car to work or school.

What are my options if I have a daily driver type GN, just go with State Farm or Allstate?

Reeaallly.
See there? Had you driven that to work, and it came up missing, you'd have gotten nothing. Had you driven it to school, and it came up missing, you'd have gotten nothing as well.

Don't use standard issue auto insurance companies either. They do NOT recognize the grand national package on an 87 buick regal. You'll get a whole 800 dollars for your GN/T-type if it comes up missing or wrecked. Get a good collectible car insurance and stick with that.

About fire or flood? I can't actually remember now lol, because I went thru soo many, and got soo many answers, that they all blend together now (my PTSD) Though, I carry the storers insurance at the place i store my buick now, which covers anything that costs 5000 or under, in addition. So that's cool. My containers all metal and concrete as well, with a locked gate and cameras on the perimeter.
Again, ASK ALLLLL QUESTIONS with your insurer.

Whats the storage stipulations.
Do I have to have my own garage on my own premesis?
whats the garage have to be made out of.
Do you need an alternate car to drive.
if so, how old can it be? (my daily drivers a 1993. that disqualified me for several different insurances)
what sort of insurance must i have on that daily driver?
if i dont use insurance on that daily driver, will you penalize me for that. (yet another disqualification for me on that one)
whats the 'how many other drivers in the household' stipulation.
What's their age requirements.
How many accidents have they been in.
How many accidents have you been in?
how long before i can collect on my policy.
do you guys have a penalty for collecting a claim really soon. (grundy and hagerty does)
if so, how long do i have to be with you, before im not penalized for a claim?
do you cover natural disasters?
if so, what kind.
what kind are NOT covered.
What if i store it somewhere else, what happens then. do you still cover it?
give me a list of instances where im NOT covered.
what about theft at a restaurant?
no?
well then what about theft at a restaurant, on my way BACK from a car event?
Do you have mileage limitations
if i collect, will it be no questions asked, or do i have to fight you for the money?
Do you use nada/kelley blue book for guidance?
Are you sure?
Because they told me, on their website, that my car's worth 24 grand. you sure you want to use them? (this was like 18 months ago)
My car's not on kbb/nada. What are you going to use, besides my agreed value?
do you need an appraisal?
do you check my mileage at the beginning of each year?
if not, how are you going to go about enforcing my mileage limit.
can someone else drive it? (mine doesnt allow it. that's fine, noones allowed within 5' of my car anyhow)
if while driving, and i get into an accident, and the ticket says it's my fault, do you still pay? (you better ask, cuz again, they're NOT going to just offer up this information)

Trust me, I spent HOURS UPON HOURS, interrogating poor customer service represenatives, and their supervisors on these matters. Ive even called grundy 3 different times, and got 3 different answers on some of those questions. Which prompted me to ask their supervisors lol. I want the BEST suited to me, as I got shot at for a year for this car. I spent my combat pay on it. It better be covered. So trust me when I say I went out of my way to find out the info I wanted on this policy. I emphatically ask you to do the same. Remember, these guys aren't in the business of paying out money. Make sure you know what you're getting into guys. To come out, and see your prized buick, that you poured COUNTLESS hours over, and under, vanished, will leave a sinking feeling in your body, that will never fully go away.

It will be worse, when they find a loophole not to pay you with.

I use J.C. Taylor Ins. 15000 @ 245 per year. I think they only insure in NJ and Pa. though. Once I get the car painted I will up the value.

hagerty doesn't have a yearly limit eh? that's NOT what they told me. that's fine though, i rarely drive my car anyhow. about a 1000 miles a year.

Good link. Also, hagerty DOES NOT have any exclusions for driving your collector car to work, dinner or things of that nature. I spoke with a hagerty underwriter this morning to confirm. They do not want you using the car as a back-up daily driver if your daily driver breaks down, but that is an underwriting requirement. That does not mean you cannot drive it to work or take it out on nice days. I have refferred collector cars to several different markets over the past few years and I am by far happiest with Hagerty. There are lots of myths out there about collector car markets. My advise would be to call hagerty directly and speak with an underwriter.