Classic Auto Insurance. Suggestions?

Antbankstwo3

I am making a switch from my current carrier (State Farm). I've been having nothing but billing issues with them over the past couple years or so on all my policies. So I'm pulling all my cars out to another carrier after 17 years. I have my TTYPE under their Classic/Antique Policy and only pay $17/month and it gives me full coverage & limited use. They say they'll cover up to the full value of car. I think I have it at like $20k. I've always been skeptical though if they would actually cover the full value though, so it might be good I'm switching. I called Hagerty and they seem to offer very good service with lots of benefits. They quoted me $548 for the year. I thought that quote was a bit high from what I've heard before from others and what they pay, but I could be wrong. Anyone have any experience or advice here?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Anthony, Grundy here as well. Think I pay around $300 yr for 18k coverage. It should be cheaper where you're at. Main thing is you get an "Agreed Value" policy where you set the coverage amount. It's the only way to guarantee what your payout will be in the event of a total loss.

American Modern here. I have my Limited valued at $20K and my T at $24K agreed value for both of them. I only get 2000 miles a year, which I can change. Appx $600 a year for both.

That's funny. I'm trying to ditch state farm too for the same reasons. They use to be a great company but they constantly hassle me like I'm a high risk. I been with them over 20 years and I'm not happy at all with their bs. Last week I got a call out of the blue from my state farm office. They informed me they are raising the rate on my pick up truck due to health insurance increases. I'm like what? What the hell does health insurance have to do with my truck?? Well because health insurance is rising so is liability. But it's only effecting my truck premium?? "Red flag". I have 4 autos insured through them. :rolleyes: The kicker is my truck is the least used out of all my vehicles besides the GN.

Getting quotes from Grundy and Hagerty now.

Last edited:
Do any of the collectors insurance allow unlimited driving? I like to drive mine as much as possible during the nice months.... I was leaning towards grundy as I'm tired of State Farm screwing me on my Homeowners insurance...... wanted to know if people drive more than 2000 miles a year.... hell thats just covers the PowerTour... [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do any of the collectors insurance allow unlimited driving? I like to drive mine as much as possible during the nice months.... I was leaning towards grundy as I'm tired of State Farm screwing me on my Homeowners insurance...... wanted to know if people drive more than 2000 miles a year.... hell thats just covers the PowerTour... [emoji51]

I get 2,500 per year but I bet you could pay for more?

Grundy does not have mileage restrictions.

American collectors 25k agreed value,New York area has to be garage kept $255 a year.

And checking their site they are twice as high as what i pay. I never go over 2,500 anyway... even with doing the PT.
Rates may depend on what site you're getting quotes from. Philadelphia Insurance acquired Grundy some years ago. When I went to the Grundy website little over a year ago to take out a new policy on my Limited (after cancelling my existing policy with them on my GN) I was told I did not qualify and the rates were noticeably higher. When I questioned why I was being denied as a returning customer in good standing (no previous claims and always paid my premiums on time) and had a clean driving record, I was directed to the Philadelphia Insurance website. In the end I got approved and rates were lower than on the Grundy site, yet, all my paperwork is on Grundy letterhead. Go figure..

Last edited:
I use JC Taylor. 17k agreed. $191/year. I've never had to make a claim though so I can not attest to how hard/easy it it.

I got American Modern. 20k Agreed upon coverage, 6k mileage per year (can be bought up higher), offsite storage, flatbed roadside, plus a rider that allows me to drive it occasionally to my work place. $550 per 12 months. I have not yet made any claims so I don't know what they will be like if i need to use it. I do recommend going to an agent rather than just trusting the website quotes.

As a side note I originally was going to take Haggerty off the web, but part of the finalization process was a question was whether or not my car was equipped with nitrous, or a blown alcohol system. My car had a alky kit, but I wasn't sure how i should answer that question so I called in to make sure I would be covered. I didn't want to say no, and then have something happen with the car and end up not being covered. The guy on the phone in the call center said they wouldn't insure the car. I explained that lots of people had this system and were insured, but he would have none of it. He thought I was trying to slip one by him. Called in at a different time, but my info had been flagged so I got the same answer.

At the end of the day I found a local agent who sold both Haggerty and American Modern, and was a fan of GN's. He was familiar with the alky kit and assured me that in both policies the alky kit would be covered (I saved that email). He provided a quote form both companies and beat the haggerty online quote by like $70. The American Modern quote was significantly lower that Haggerty, over $200 cheaper.

I'm sure seeing a agent is the better way to go. I had a friend that was/is a Farmers agent that does American Collectors as well. They did come out and inspect the car and take pictures has anyone else had this done?

That's funny. I'm trying to ditch state farm too for the same reasons. They use to be a great company but they constantly hassle me like I'm a high risk. I been with them over 20 years and I'm not happy at all with their bs. Last week I got a call out of the blue from my state farm office. They informed me they are raising the rate on my pick up truck due to health insurance increases. I'm like what? What the hell does health insurance have to do with my truck?? Well because health insurance is rising so is liability. But it's only effecting my truck premium?? "Red flag". I have 4 autos insured through them. :rolleyes: The kicker is my truck is the least used out of all my vehicles besides the GN.

Getting quotes from Grundy and Hagerty now.

A smart insurance lawyer once told me to stay away from ins companies that have to pay big money for nascar, little green amphibians, and green bay packer athletes, oh and retired quarter backs. Sooner or later ad dollars need to be factored into premiums and other cost cutting factors!