928 HP on the chasis dyno today - Thanks Otto

turbobitt

Made another trip to Otto's today to finish up on some tunning. Our initial dyno runs two weeks ago limited us to only 838 RWHP @ 26# boost due to fuel pump issue. After replacing the pump and fixing some minor wiring issues I made the trip back down to Otto's to hopefully get some big numbers. The day didn't start very well with some elusive missfiring issues we had from the week before. I was considering putting it back on the trailer but Otto pressed on to fix the issue. I have to say that Otto took the upmost care and detail in my car but at the same time knew how far to push it. So, after Otto fixed up my crank sensor issue, we were up and running with some clean runs. We made 917 HP at about 30#. We turned up the boost slowly and made a few more runs until we hit a maximum boost of about 35#. The car didn't pick up much power @ 928 RWHP. With only picking up 10 HP with a 10# boost increase is telling me that I am hitting some mechanical limitations. My best guess is that we may be into valve float and could use more spring.

I just want to say thanks to Otto for doing a great job on the tunning, troubleshooting, and just plain helping out on resolving the issues we were having. I can't forget about Bison(Brian) for the help he has given me. I think he is sneeking in my garage as I'm writing this with his own plans on changing the valve springs.

If I can figure out how to post the video than I will try and get it up here.

Edit: We were using XFI closed loop boost control with no CO2 to get these boost numbers !!

Allan G.

That sounds like an animal.
You have two good guys helping.

more details please on your combo...on/off center.stock style head,intake? turbo?what type of wastegate? nice #s btw.... how hard is the xfi boost control to use?...thanks,joel

more details please on your combo...on/off center.stock style head,intake? turbo?what type of wastegate? nice #s btw.... how hard is the xfi boost control to use?...thanks,joel
Basic build is,
Stage 2 on center iron 4.1 block
Stage 2 heads
Solid roller cam spec by Dutweiler 11+ years ago
Sheet metel intake
Turbonetics new gen wastegate
Turbonetics Y2K88
Aeromotive fuel pump
The XFI boost control is easy to set up and use. The only drawback is that the numbers set in XFI don't translate into a direct boost reading. It would different on every car because of differences in wastegates, turbos, backpressure, wategate springs, wategate diaphram area. For example, we were using closed loop analog 8 control stratagy. With this control stratagy, you set a boost percentage that translates into a pressure that XFI tries to maintain on top of the wastegate. This will result in some boost pressure of X amout that is determined by the variables listed above. The extra eqipment required is a solenoid valve and pressure transducer. We were comanding about 50% on XFI to give us 100% duty cycle at the solenoid. If we used CO2 with higher supply pressure than manifold pressure, things would change.

Otto did wonders with my car a few weeks ago.
Took a 1 1/2 seconds off my et.
I am going back when he has time to install a new turbo.
Going with a BB 6262.
Can't wait to see those results.

Otto did wonders with my car a few weeks ago.
Took a 1 1/2 seconds off my et.
I am going back when he has time to install a new turbo.
Going with a BB 6262.
Can't wait to see those results.

I discovered how really valuable it is to have the car on the Dyno. I had a lot of small issues that needed to be addresses that would have been impossible to fix at the track or on the street. t one point I was really down but Otto refused to let me take the car off the dyno until things we fixed. I really needed that motivation.

Allan G.

Congrats, those are some big numbers. It always amazes me when guys build awesome setups and cheap out at the most vital part (tunning). Then hurt it and cry later, because they think they are saving money when they hear the cost to tune it properly (which is not only WOT). But end up spending more fixing a broken motor and STILL not have a good tune at the end of it. This is a true testimate why NOT to cut corners. Do it right the first time and enjoy the fruits of your labour. Congrats once again. Good work Otto!!!
If your file isn't enourmous, send it to my email, and I will host it for you. mricketts@novellusgraphics.com

Congrats, you have officially doubled my hp number. :frown: Time for me to start over.

wow:eek:

Is this a street car or purpose built? Maybe a little bit of both, haha
It was purpose built for the street. It has a low lift cam with soft lobes. Not a quarter mile car.

It was purpose built for the street. It has a low lift cam with soft lobes. Not a quarter mile car.

I could just imagine the HP if the lobes were hard lobes instead of soft? This is a daily driver?

I could just imagine the HP if the lobes were hard lobes instead of soft? This is a daily driver?

Not a daily driver. To give you an idea of what he means, the cam is not aggressive at all and 10 years on the old springs. Been thinking of stepping it up but don't want to sacrifice durabiity. Given the latest dyno information, I may need to rethink my combo

Allan G.

There is definitely some power in the cam but these Buick engines have a lot of limitations and need a tremendous amount of spring to run a high lift cam with the low duration that they need to have any decent cylinder pressure down low and still make power when they are cranked up. Id be willing to bet the cam in Allans engine has more duration @.050 than a TSO grind but about .6-.7 less lift. There is a lot more power in it at higher boost when we get a few things sorted out.