May 9th Dyno/Tune Session with Cal Hartline - Amsterdam, NY

fullahotair

Anyone interested in partaking in a Dyno Session with Cal Hartline on May 9th, 2014 in Amsterdam, NY please let me know. Our previous attempt was cancelled due to inclement weather.

We have four cars signed up so far (PDZZ, 434Nova, a stroked 408 camaro, and myself). We are looking to get up to 6 cars (those who indicate they will definitely partake will receive preference over those who are "maybe")

More than 6 may be possible, but will likely be stretching the available time on the dyno . If we get more than 6, we'll figure something out at that point...as there are some options available like possibly getting some dyno time in on Thursday (but that has not been confirmed). I'll worry about that when we get more than 6 cars signed up....

Also keep in mind Cal does other vehicle other than Turbo Buicks like LSX motors and even some Fords.

If you have ever thought about doing a Tuning Session with Cal, I will tell you it is worth every red cent as will many other folks on here.... I met up with Cal last year, and he undoubtedly saved me a the expense of a rebuild of my new engine as we not only uncovered a weak coil pack, but also an insufficient fuel system. If I was at the track tuning i would have have certainly burnt the motor by the time i was at the end of the track before realizing i was starving the motor. Thats not to mention how quickly we were able to address some tune issues that would have taken me months to find time to troubleshoot. Last time I put down 575 rwhp before running out of fuel pump. Shooting for over 600 hp this time...and also shooting for and perhaps more importantly - no issues.....

Thanks,

Nate

Looks like we will be pretty busy! Thanks Nate, for putting it all together

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Big thanks to Cal and everyone who participated yesterday for the dyno and tune session with Cal in Amsterdam. Although I am sure Cal still thought the weather was very much still winter, it was near tropical for us northerners. I know its just another day in the life for Cal, but for us (at least me) people who only dabble in the tuning department and/or seldom have time to get neck deep into all the tuning aspects and depth of the XFI system as we would like, its huge help to have someone experienced like Cal at the helm to get the tune setup exactly as it should be....

Also a thanks to Phil Bassage for being our personal "Stig" for the dyno. Between Phil's pedal mashing skills and Cal doing the tuning, we were all in good hands.

Finally a thanks to Northeast Performance ( http://www.northeastspeedshop.com/) for letting us occupy his shop for the entire day. Jimmy is a great guy and would absolutely use him again in the future.

I attached just a few pics from the day...if others have more, feel free to post up...

The take away for the day: Don't forget the plug the hole on the bottom side of the precision wastegate:rolleyes::rolleyes:...They work a lot better if you do!!...so i hear anyway...

Thanks!
Nate

IMAG0583.jpg IMAG0585.jpg IMAG0586.jpg IMAG0587.jpg ,

When installed the hole is often on the bottom and goes unnoticed and needs to be plugged if not use.....so i am told....

Attachments

• 46mm-wastegate.jpg
    46mm-wastegate.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 151
I made 470 rwhp @ 25# @ 4900 rpm. Time for new valve springs. This was on pump gas and methanol. Hey nate if you have any pictures of my car can you post them. Had a great time yesterday. Nice to meet Cal finally. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I think my friend took some videos....i'll see if he can post them.

With respect to the dyno #'s keep in mind this was a dyno dynamics dyno which is affectionately known as the Heartbreaker dyno as it known to give out low numbers, but is excellent for tuning. I think its roughly 12 to 15% off from a mustang dyno. Trap speed #'s is a better number to use for comparison

Nate

Sounds like it was a great time. I understand Cal helped Joe D find a corrupt file that was causing an tuning issue. No doubt, knowledge =hp.:notworthy:

It was a great time. We started off with Phil's car because, knowing Phil, I suspected it was going to be real close. He didn't disappoint me. We set the timing, adjusted a couple tables and had it dialed in very quickly.
Next up was Nate's car. We set the timing, then had a couple boost control problems that we sorted out, along with a blown fuse on the coil on plug. Once we worked our way through that, tuning went smoothly.
Next was Joe's car. He had been chasing a knock issue, so first thing we did was check the timing. As was posted before, there was an issue with his program that we had to sort out. After that we made a few dyno hits and he was ready to hit the track.
We then tuned on Greg's car from Canada. This xfi was purchased elsewhere, so I decided to start over with his tune. We had to fix a minor alcohol leak before we could tune. This car does the power tour, so drivability was our main focus before we put it on the dyno.
The last Buick belonged to Ricky. This car was a sleeper and he wasn't afraid to turn it up. We ended up being valve spring limited which I'm sure he'll fix.
After that we went to Andy's big cube LS1 Camaro. I was worried this car would take some time, and I was right. I played with the EFI Live for quite a while and never really got the tune sorted out. They are going to check some mechanical things and report back. I was disappointed I didn't get to finish this car.
It was a great day and everyone was a pleasure to work with. Thanks to Phil for doing the driving duties and to Northeast for allowing us to invade their facility.