Precision 6466 pump gas only testing

HighPSI

Staff member
Long story:
A few weeks ago I was asked to test some octane boost to see how effective it was for a television show on Velocity. I needed a street car with a solid foundation to test it on so I gave "Grey Racer" a call. His car is a daily driver with AC, 200R4, etc.. and an RPE engine, XFI, 6466 turbo, etc.. Well yesterday we put it on the dyno, lowered the boost as low as it would go, turned the alky off, and I retuned for pump gas only. With his actuator and moderate porting of the wastegate hole, we could only get the boost down to 18psi. Since I didn't want to take any chances hurting Grey Racers engine (on national television!), I initially set the timing real low then slowly snuck up on it until we had maximum timing without knock.
Now this is what I found interesting, the car made 504rwhp on straight 93 pump gas! No knock. No alky. No octane boost, etc.. We repeated this test 4 more times and all pulls were between 498 & 510 hp depending on how cool the IAT's from the PTE stock location intercooler were.
I know we shouldn't be that surprised since we are using a turbo capable of 900hp. I definitely do NOT recommend pushing it on straight pump gas. This was just a test. I have several customers who bought this turbo just so they could run fast at lower boost levels and lower IAT's.

Very interesting. Reminds me of the time my alky was shut off by mistake. I was still running 21-22psi without a hitch. When I realized the alky was off I was surprised there was no knock.

What show is it going to be on?

Rick

Very interesting post.

I found with my setup the limit to be 490whp on straight 93 on a dyno jet before knock started to occur and didn't push it any further.

Brandon

SO what did it do with the octane boost?

That was the most surprising thing of all. I have never had much luck with octane boost. We dumped a can in and I started putting timing and boost in. Because I was being so cautious, I ended up running out of time and never found knock. At 23psi we ended up at 604rwhp. I'm going to find out the cost of this stuff and may start using it in my street vehicles. We might even start carrying it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That was the most surprising thing of all. I have never had much luck with octane boost. We dumped a can in and I started putting timing and boost in. Because I was being so cautious, I ended up running out of time and never found knock. At 23psi we ended up at 604rwhp. I'm going to find out the cost of this stuff and may start using it in my street vehicles. We might even start carrying it.

I was always under the impression that the octane boost products killed the wide band ?
AG.

What about Torco Accelerator? Have you ever tested that? Its been around for years and I heard nothing but good things about it.

Holy cow! That garbage in a bottle isn't really garbage!?! Interesting.

We just recently had a tread on additives. I saw a show that featured RACE GAS additive. Also mentioned in the thread was Dragon Fuel and Torco.

Is there no downside to the 6466? I think not.:p Interesting test I will be subscribed.

Is there no downside to the 6466? I think not.:p Interesting test I will be subscribed.

Only one is trying to run really low boost, but what's the point if you can make good power knock free this close to 20psi. Awesome little unit there. Still skeptical of the center section though. I wish they would make a JB version. It's a nice match of wheels it seems though; I suppose a JB may act differently, but I still wish they made one JB.

How are the air cooled center sections holding up?