83 Regal into Turbo

Smoking the Buick

Methanol...is that the stuff made from corn?? What are the porportions?? I guess you just spray the water in as its runing right.. I had water injection on an old Pontiac with 13.5 to one compression..

Your choice. 50/50, 75/25, 66/33
Methanol also is fairly cheap use blue windhield washer cleaner 35% meth
Alcohol is what ever kind you want to run, EVERCLEAR

Aj's currently running E-85 I believe but I may be wrong. You can mix E-85 with super and get a good mix as well. Up to a 50% mix will make it about E-45 which doesn't have to worried about as much and will give you around 105 ish in octaine.

Smoking the Buick

Is the Alcohol in the E 85 ?? And this is the fuel made from corn right?? I think my truck can run on this stuff...never tried it though..don't even know where they sell it around here.. But I will check into it.. :smile:

Smoking the Buick

So let me see if I understand this.. 50% e85 50% super gas and spray in the alachol?? Or is that 50% e-85 and 50 % Alachol ?? :confused:

LOL E-85 and super unleaded in a 50/50 mix. Most gas is E-10 right now so with the additional alky you end up around 45-47% alky. To use straight alky you inject it through your carb.

Smoking the Buick

I have an idea here and it is probably crazy, but check this out....I have this 79 Regal plenum that a four barrel carb goes on...check back to the first page of this thread.. now there is a in water hose and an out water hose in it and it actually has a hollow chamber under the air chamber, that the water flows through...now...the colder the better right....I mean except in the winter...so what if I ran an air conditioner line in there ...got it down to about freezing... that would really compress the air wouldn't you say??
I remember opening my hood and seeing some of those metal hoses from the air conditioner with frost all over them... that would be a real kick to try.....
I now have a couple of turbo books I am reading...One suggests not using a manifold gasket between the turbo and intake...because gaskets always blow out.. Hayeeee...Im just the messanger here and don't know squat about turbos...i will just throw out ideas I have and feel free to shoot them down if they are all wet..
I guess I will have to get some 3.50 gears for my 83 Regal...and maybe a 3000rpm stall conveter..
Adam, do you use a wastegate or blow off valve to prevent your engine from blowing up??
Also do you use a anti knock sensor?
It seems like Summit is trying to nuzzle over MSD by making some of their own spark boxes...I will have to check that out more myself too..saw an ad in the latest Hot Rod for a summit hot box.

Vince I do not use a blowoff/diverter valve It's not needed for my application. I use an external wastegate, it's a much different animal from the stock swing valve wastegate. There is a knock sensor on my engine but I do not use it nor do I have any type of electronic ignition on my engine at this time

I'm gonna start by saying you need to do some more reading about the system first and foremost. If you get the plenum temp down to freezing you'll end up icing the carb and air/fuel mix.

The factory tubo to intake and plenum to turbo are metal re-enforced so they're kinda hard to blow out.

3.42 gears are the best if you have a 2004R tranny. If not and you plan to drive it on the street, don't expect to drive it very far because the RPM level will be very high anytime you get over 50 MPH.

You can't use a BOV on the factory system because it will blow live air/fuel mix into the atmosphere which is extremely flamible so you may have some issues.

As far as MSD parts, you need a 6AL box with a BTM modual or a 6BTM box which will make it more capable of controling the timing so you don't blow up the engine.

Smoking the Buick

Thanks for all that info... I will keep reading..//but I think the reading is getting me in more confusion:confused: From what I have been reading that after the air comes out of the turbo it is up to 300 degrees...thus that is why they introduced the intercooler in the first place right?? But then they also went into alcohol injection and how it could really lower the temp too.. so I guess its just 2 different ways to skin a cat.. So maybe I should hook up those water lines under the carb ?? I mean If I have a 160degree theromstat that would help cool that 300 degree air temp....right ?? I just keep remembering the cool boxes of the 60's and how they ran the gas line throught them ... yea...I know I am showing my age..

Smoking the Buick

Im hip on that... Looking for a rear bumper reinforcement and bumper too..for my 83...would love to find one in driving distance to the Poconos PA.. What happened to AJ..?? was suppose to get back to me on selling me that trubo manifold?/ :smile:

He's working in his shop just like I have in mine today. I haven't tried to get on because of side work until now. Have some pacients (sp) and he'll get to you. If you don't hear from him tomorow PM him.

Smoking the Buick

Thanks for getting back to me on that... Check out this video from Gale Banks and Jay Leno as they talk about E-85 E85 Demystified - Video - Jay Leno's Garage Seems like it is 105 octane as it comes out of the hose...you guys are right..its the poor mans racing gas.. Seems like some special hoses are required or they will dissolve with this stuff..;)

Smoking the Buick

I found an gas station that has E-85 about 35 miles from here.. Closest one too.. Its located in Allentown PA by the Turnpike and Rt 22...Good thing my truck runs on that stuff...I could just fill my tank in the truck then empty it in the buick.. I found a guy that has a 87 GN engine for sale.. but I would need the whole kit and cabootle...wiring harness and computer..probably need that trans too. I don't know if its worth the worth all the work...maybe I will just call the guy for the fun of it..
I'm going to have to get outside and really check out that Buick Engine I have....It never smoked but it is loosing oil... Looks like the real seal.. I have a cylinder leak down tester I could use on it.. What's the use of putting a huffer on a worn out engine right..?? The last 2 carbs on it ran like crap.. That big 750 CFM sounded real nasty though..too bad it fell apart on the inside though..too much acid soaking to clean it out ate up the metal..That trans was loosing it too though..There was something wrong with the shift points...It didn't slip though..it seemed it went in 2nd too fast then she bogged...Then in 3 gear when it would down shift to second to pass the car would hardly move almost wanted to slow down..almost like second was too low..I am pretty sure its the 200 r4 in it..:smile:

I found an gas station that has E-85 about 35 miles from here.. Closest one too.. Its located in Allentown PA by the Turnpike and Rt 22...Good thing my truck runs on that stuff...I could just fill my tank in the truck then empty it in the buick.. I found a guy that has a 87 GN engine for sale.. but I would need the whole kit and cabootle...wiring harness and computer..probably need that trans too. I don't know if its worth the worth all the work...maybe I will just call the guy for the fun of it..
I'm going to have to get outside and really check out that Buick Engine I have....It never smoked but it is loosing oil... Looks like the real seal.. I have a cylinder leak down tester I could use on it.. What's the use of putting a huffer on a worn out engine right..?? The last 2 carbs on it ran like crap.. That big 750 CFM sounded real nasty though..too bad it fell apart on the inside though..too much acid soaking to clean it out ate up the metal..That trans was loosing it too though..There was something wrong with the shift points...It didn't slip though..it seemed it went in 2nd too fast then she bogged...Then in 3 gear when it would down shift to second to pass the car would hardly move almost wanted to slow down..almost like second was too low..I am pretty sure its the 200 r4 in it..:smile:

I really like the carbed stuff, you guys are making it so interesting but if you can get your hands on an 87 drivetrain that is in good condition you would be insane not to get it...all of it. If I were you I would buy the drivetrain and set it aside for later and learn about what you have. I think you may have mis-understood what these guys said about E85? You cannot i repeat CANNOT run straight E85 in that vehicle of yours. It will spit and sputter like you have never seen. I'm glad to see that you are so interested in these Buicks, that's awesome! The thing is, your questions are everywhere....You really need to sit down with paper and pencil and ask yourself what you want out of this ride. Do I want to go fast for cheap? If so, buy the 87 motor trans and wiring and do it. Do I want to be fast with what I have? Be ready to re-build that motor so you aren't wasting time and money on all of the custom metal work you are dipping your mind into right now. Things like this are what you really need to know. Good luck and I have been following this thread, good reading! Justin:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Smoking the Buick

If I can get an 87 engine for a decent price I will get it...but I want to get my car on the road as soon as I can , Spring is comming... and I just hate sitting around waiting if you know what I mean.. Are you sure that I just can't run my buick on that E-85 ?? My Chevy truck can run on it..it is one of those alt fuel trucks..
I am waiting for an answer to find out how much that guy wants for the used 87 engine ....You would think he would of told me how much he wanted for it in the e-mail instead of just saying...yea I have one..
Anyway I really don't want to drag race this car... But I want something fast that is dependable to cruise on the weekends and go to shows with.. Use to have a lot of friends that use to race, Every week they were out buying new parts / rebuilding the motor / Replacing everything a few times.. really don't want to do that.. :smile: