83 Regal into Turbo

The two pipe fittings are for coolant. The plenum is heated by engine coolant. Helps keep the fuel from puddling under the carb.

The plastic thing is a "Thermo Vacuum Cannister Purge Switch". It should have a couple of ports and is used for the charcoal cannister. Not too important. Look here for PURGE TVS:
http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/images/vac80abfed.JPG

Smoking the Buick

Lots of good info here.. Mat, that photo of that adaptor plate would actually work.. you don't have a link for that plate do you...is it still for sale on e-bay??
One problem that I have read about with the carb though...The power valve...if it senses no vacumn it wont work.. where can I pick up a low vacumn souce...if I could make some kind of a vacumn reducer and plug into that it would work...I should give the guys at Holley a call and see what they think since I will be using a holley carb.:rolleyes:

Smoking the Buick

It seems holley does make a carb for a supercharged engine with power valve that will work in a high boost climate... it has 2 50cc dumpers and retails for $622.00 is 750 CFM with a quadrajet base... Great...but $622.. just for a carb with a special power valve... I allready have a 750 carb for this motor...all I really need is the New power valve... will have to wait till tormorrow to call these people up and see if I can get a super power valve for my 750... will keep you up to date.... Want to get all my ducks in a row before milling down my 4 barrel Holley manifold. Heres a photo of that carb.. should make it easy...:smile:

Attachments

• holley carb.jpg
    holley carb.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 521
Super and turbo are a little different. You can build your own boost referenced carb if you want it it will much cheaper than buying one.

Smoking the Buick

I sent Holley a e-mail and will call them tormorrow and let you know what happened...
So...How would I vac referance this carb to make it work..??:confused:

Get hold of Adam or Aj. They've already done it and have the info and links so you can see how to do it.

Smoking the Buick

B4Black, your right it is a 1979, Yes I have been looking for a manifold but so far no luck, but what I have heard from this site that they really weren't too flow worthy.. Thats why I am leaning to my Holley Dominator quad manifold..I'm thinking of having the center of the 4 carb holes milled out then I will grind down all the corners and bolt on a tubro adaptor plate.. Was thinking of draining the oil from the turbo into the valve top of the valve cover....Hopefully over where a large drain back hole is in the head. This holley manifold has to flow much better than super flat turbo manifold.. Am a half way decent welder so I should be able to fab up some support braces for the setup. Hoping the whole setup will fit under the GN hood...I think I will have to forget about a standard air cleaner on it.. Maybe I could rig up a 90 degree silicone elbow will have to see where it takes me.. I would really hate to mill too much off the top of that carb mounting flat on the manifold..then I would be going back almost to a stock turbo maifold.. Still trying to line up my parts now...hate to hunt for parts in the middle of a project:smile:

..... and Holley files for bankruptcy for the second time.

Heads up: There is no "special" power valve. Holley just changes the location of the referencing for the powervalve to the intake manifold instead of the throttle base plate.

There is only one "real" special power valve and those are the ones that are designed to be boost refereneced from the pressure inside the float bowl itself. And Holley does not make any. CSU makes and sells them. I made my own with a standard 6.5 Holley PV.

....I have heard from this site that they really weren't too flow worthy.. Thats why I am leaning to my Holley Dominator quad manifold..I'm thinking of having the center of the 4 carb holes milled out then I will grind down all the corners and bolt on a tubro adaptor plate.. Was thinking of draining the oil from the turbo into the valve top of the valve cover....Hopefully over where a large drain back hole is in the head. This holley manifold has to flow much better than super flat turbo manifold..

Yep, I heard that too. That's a good idea you're working on, (turbo intake flows poorly). Charlie's working on a bigger bad ass turbo. If you guys succeed and combine heads you're threading on kick-ass territory. That's what these carbed-turbo cars need, radical ideas based on firm knowledge since we get no support from the after-market. (Chevy and Ford own that). :mad:

Smoking the Buick

Well I talked to a Holley tec today, I think he was kind of faking it though...He told me that I shouldn't worry about the carb and that it will work fine...without any modification. He said since it was a DT there would be no problem..also found out that the carb I am going to put on is a 650 cfm ...off an old Oldsmobile 350 or something....thats good I think...because I was drowning this motor with my 750 cfm while it worked for about an half an hour/ But the story continues...I also sent Holley an e-mail and they guy that answered it said the same thing as Dr.F.. I think...
That the carburetor will have to be modified to boost referance the power valve. Power valve will be opened under boost with referance... Now that sounds good...but how do you do that?? Thats what I e-mailed him back.. Will keep everybody updated as to what the holley folks say.:wink:

Smoking the Buick

OK War Wagon..I give up...how did you make it and what is a Holley PV?? Don't forget here... I am mostly an upholsterer and sort of a shade tree mechanic..also was a quality control inspector for Lockheed /Mechanical . :wink:

Mr. Upholsterer , You can call me Adam on here if you want some people know me as both.
I was getting a little exhausted repeatedly typing the word "power valve" so I condensed it into PV so there you have it holley power, valve holley PV.
You will never ever need the particular kind of "PV" that I made. It's for a blown thru carb setup only.

I would agree that the stock intake manifold 'looks' like it won't flow well. And maybe it doesn't, but it might not be the thing that keep these engines from running faster than an SFI. It's flat becuase that what a team of engineers needed to get everything to fit under the hood. They also likely put a lot of effort into making it work well with the given constraints.

I'm not saying don't do what you think is right. I'm just suggesting that the stock manifold would be much easier and that the effort might be better spent elsewhere. The stock manifold would let you run the stock support brackets and stock exhaust piping and everything else. Look for the best bang for buck (money and time) mods and tackle them first.

If I were going to re-engineeer the whole set up, I'd go blow thru and use as much 86/87 stuff as I could. But then I wouldn't be re-engineering anything, would I? :wink:

I would agree that the stock intake manifold 'looks' like it won't flow well. And maybe it doesn't, but it might not be the thing that keep these engines from running faster than an SFI. It's flat becuase that what a team of engineers needed to get everything to fit under the hood. They also likely put a lot of effort into making it work well with the given constraints.

I'm not saying don't do what you think is right. I'm just suggesting that the stock manifold would be much easier and that the effort might be better spent elsewhere. The stock manifold would let you run the stock support brackets and stock exhaust piping and everything else. Look for the best bang for buck (money and time) mods and tackle them first.

If I were going to re-engineeer the whole set up, I'd go blow thru and use as much 86/87 stuff as I could. But then I wouldn't be re-engineering anything, would I? :wink:

LOL Glad to see you on here a little more Rich.:smile: We've made some progress but I'll leave it till later.:biggrin:

The issues with the stock intake are the way it was made. It traps heat to some degree and flows like crap. After I get the turbo assembled I'll start a thread about opening the intake up some so you can see where it need to be cleaned up. I'm just not ready to do it right now. It can be made to flow better and allow for more power. What I'm seriously thinking about is getting everything working and then modifying a 4.1 intake later as an alternative. I know it will flow better but whether it can be used the way I want is the question.

Smoking the Buick

Adam, thanks for clearing that up.. I think I will put this thing together and see how iit runs...and If I don't think its right I will play with some of those vacumn delays that plug into the hose to try to get the carb to think it is on a regular aspired motor. I will keep my eye out for a standard turbo manifold too..because I want to test them both and see which one will put out more power.. I also plan on getting one of those new MSD boxes just for turbo charged engines that also retards the spark acording to the boost and it is adjustable...It should be fun....Not like when I was a kid and use to play with my only car and If it didn't work I couldn't get to work on Monday.. At least now I have a second car(truck) to drive...if the engine blows at least I will learn something. I have antique plates on this car so I can add any option that was available durning that year and still keep it an antique...83 Buick Regal.. They are pretty leanent when it come to that.. I mean if it looks stock from 20 feet they are happy.. this way I don't have to go to state inspection. Well guys I guess its time to rebuild this 650 Spread bore holley carb off that old Olds 350 and throw that 750 in the trash...I soaked it too long in the acid bath...I think one of the walls or channels opened up to the other almost causing the engine to blow..had to turn the key off just in the nick of time...real lucky the thing didn't burst into flames.. Usually that is the case.. Thats what you get for trying to resurrect a basket case carb.:wink: