83 Regal into Turbo

If you keep an eye on evilbay you can find an 80/81 intake and it will work without any problems. It's aluminum so it weighs less as well as being easier to port if you have the right tools. Don't throw the carb away, sell it on evilbay for parts. Maybe you can make something out of the leftovers.

smokin the Buick

OK, I have the low down on how to vacumn index a holly carb..straight from holly incase you want to turbo it up...you will need this info... Just starting here...but makine quantum leaps allready. hope this file shows up..:wink:

smokin the Buick

I guess I can't download a pdf file...lets try this one..:wink:

Attachments

• holley carb indexing.jpg
    holley carb indexing.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 489
smokin the Buick

OK....I'm still trying to figure this out.. if you plug both holes...why make a channel?? they are both plugged so what differance does it make??

smokin the Buick

Ah...I got it... they are talking about taking the the vac feed from the metering block...and putting that at a low spot on the manifold...and not using a vacumn operated spark distributor.. Going through that metering block should greatly reduce the vac to the power valve.. sounds like a I could give that a try.. would be courious to see exactly what kind of a vac reading I would get that actually reached that power valve.. I never used that small pipe hangin out of the metering block...
There is a guy called Morris Engineering that is doing some real radical stuff with a engine driven turbo...I mean this is one HUGE turbo mounted right on front of the motor and drive off the crank...but he is getting 60,000 rpms out of it..I am sure he is using some gears like in an automatic trans.. ad multiplying the spin to approx 10 to one... Must be using some kind of a plantery gears in rotating sleeve... This stuff is being kept a big seceret... He is selling whole motors and kits....and hell yea I will contact him... He has a Caprice station wagon.....?? with a 572 in it with a big huffer on it carnking out over 1700 HP....And he says carbs are the way to go because, they cool the air with the adamisation...he really likes running alki and water injection...doesn't use an inter cooler... I wonder if he has anything for a v6 buick??:biggrin:

There is a guy called Morris Engineering that is doing some real radical stuff with a engine driven turbo...I mean this is one HUGE turbo mounted right on front of the motor and drive off the crank...but he is getting 60,000 rpms out of it..I am sure he is using some gears like in an automatic trans.. ad multiplying the spin to approx 10 to one... Must be using some kind of a plantery gears in rotating sleeve... This stuff is being kept a big seceret...

Sounds like a centrifugal supercharger. Basically its the compressor half of a turbo mated to a gear drive. There are several manufacturers out there including Paxton, Vortech, and Procharger:

Category Browser | Vortech Superchargers

NOVI Superchargers | Paxton Superchargers

ProCharger Superchargers

smokin the Buick

Yea, I think you are right..it looks to be at least a foot across...I don't know how he has it set up but must be some kind of a clutch in it so when he lets off the gass all those gears don't break...From what I have been reading they are no more powerful than a regular turbo..plus you will have to worry about that gear drive breaking all the time... Just for your info I found out his motors run about $46,000. I think he is trying to get rich quick...:rolleyes:

I don't believe that, in power adders There is nothing more efficient than a turbocharger save for nitrous VS any kind of supercharger: roots, centrifugal, twin screw even the newest Eaton TVS.

I don't believe that, in power adders There is nothing more efficient than a turbocharger save for nitrous VS any kind of supercharger: roots, centrifugal, twin screw even the newest Eaton TVS.

You are completely right Adam. A turbo will loose between 15 to 30 percent of the actual power it produces where the supercharger looses a minimum of 50 percent of the actual power produced.

In other words, if the supercharger is producing 300 ponies and the engine in NA form produces 150, the supercharger is actually producing 300 ponies over the NA engine and is loosing 150 to drive it. I did the research many years ago when I started looking looking at how to bump the power up on my old V6 car.:biggrin:

smokin the Buick

Just put on an 80s Grand National Hood. on my 83 regal... the paint on the side of the hood scoop was buckled...the owner said because the turbo ran too hot.. I was surprised to see the the back of the Scoop was not opened... You would think at least the back of the hood should be open with at least some kind of screen on it to keep out furry pets...I think that might be one of the improvements I will have to make to this car too..
Very shortly I will be posting some photos of my holly four barrel manifold so you can see the before and the after...Basically I will be just milling a hole in the center of the 4 holes so the air from the turbo will shoot straight down into the manifold... Its been a while since I even looked at it.. but I think it has the 4 holes and not one big square opening like some of them do... too bad that would of made it real easy... was thinking of puttin on a 1/4 inch aluminium plate drilling 4 holes at the corners and that big round one in the center with 3 steel threaded inserts for the turbo to bolt to.. Will have to give MSD a call to see if I can use my stock vacumn distributor...and cap off the vacumn...and have the magic box figure out the timming problems.. I know they have one just for tubros that adjusts the spark acording to boost.. Don't really want to buy a MSD distributor unless I have to.. I see that the box they have for a non MSD Distributor is at least $150. more than the box they have for a MSD distributor... I guess one way or the other they want to get their money.. :eek:

Please click on the second link in my sig. It will give you a better idea of what you're trying to do. Aj should be checking in soon I hope to help you some. He's the king of modding the stock system currently.

Don't cut the back of the hump out. It's only there for clearence of the turbo and that's all. If you cut into it you'll have more issues with rust and stregnth of the hood.

you will not get it to fit at all under the stock hood if you make the manifold adapter as stated.

been there tried that.

I do have several manifolds in stock if you need one.

does anybody listin to me about putting these things together?

A.j.

Smoking the Buick

Wanted the GN hood for mostly looks...I am interested in a turbo manifold maybe 80 or 81 the aluminium one...How much do you want for it?? I am pretty new to the site so where can I find out that info on how to make that braketry?? Don't forget I will be puttin on a 79 regal turbo manifold.
Just to pick your brain a little here... I have been reading an older turbro book and they are saying to gap your plugs at .o25 so they work better... Have you found out that works well?? Also what I read is they advise a double pumper for a turbo or an extra nozzle to supply gas at higher rpm speeds... Have you ran into problems with this... they are also suggesting an eletric fuel pump between the mechanical and the carb and that too much pressure will blow into the fuel bowl and drown the motor or blow it up......:confused:

smokin the Buick

I ment to say 79 Plenum assembly...I was just talking to a guy that has a 85 GN engine for sale... He was telling me that it is a hot air turbo..and you can't hook up an intercooler to it because it is a different setup than the 86 and 87.... So Can I hook up my intercooler with this setup I have?? The intercooler I have did come out of a GN...not sure of the year though..

I run my gaps at 30 or 32 on some Delco CR42TS.

As for fuel, I run an Oddfire snout cam, which allows me to use a High Volume 455 mechnical fuel pump. ive never had a fuel issue other than a destroyed cam bearing. but a set of the HD TA's solves that.

As for pump, the stock electric in tank or even the stock mechanical is plenty enough fuel for most of the carb turbos. as the stock Q-jet has a fairly large fuel resivour and large needle and seat for high volume. once you start pushing the 400 HP limit or are doing something other than straight line action, then i would suggest moving up to even a mild holley blue or red pump.

again here, unlike the SFI guys, were more concerned with volume than pressure here so we dont need a crazy insane pump system to keep up with them.

as for intake.... 55 bucks shipped.

no you cannot use an intercooler with the turbo you have.

A.j.

Smoking the Buick

That manifold you have is an aluminum 80 or 81?? Do you have an pay-pal account?? Do you want a M. O. ?? send me your e-mail address and I will send you my mailing address for that manifold.. concoursuph@enter.net What about hookin up that intercooler...I guess I would have to make some flanges to bolt up to the the carb and then to the turbo.. and hook together some 3 inch pipe to tie it to the intercooler.. vince

Ahh I see a name this time!! Vince, An intercooler cannot be used with a drawthru carb turbo setup, the air and fuel mixtures goes in and through the turbo wet. and the fuel vapor will puddle up inside the intercooler matrix as it cools and then you will have a sudden lean condition and then lastly a melted piston or a blown headgasket or something even worse.

So..... Forget Intercooling Vince and go straight to ALCOHOL/METHANOL/WATER INJECTION.