83 Regal into Turbo

Smoking the Buick

Yes, this will be fun, always love a challange..Remember that trick Smoky used in one of his cars to get high power and great gas mileage too...neat trick...he would heat the gas in a valley of the intake manifold and he had a spinning bursh in there powered by a motor...brush was spinning very fast almost vaporizing the gas then it was blown down into the manifold..I think this was all done under the carb...I am surprised nobody ever picked up on that idea...I guess heating gas with exhaust gases was just pushing the envelope too much.. I would still like to prove a carb is better than an EFI for making power...If one tenth of the time for R&D was was spent on a carb as compared to an EFI no telling where it would be now..
My 83 Buick had a computer controlled carb on it...what a joke...although when the car was new it wasnt half bad..It actually got some pretty good gas mileage...but all those hoses, wires, emission crap, just like an accident waiting to happen.. I don't know what happened to it but it was getting 10 mpg when I pulled the plug on it..If I'm going to get 10 mpg from a motor it better have 500 HP if you know what I mean...

Yes, this will be fun, always love a challange..Remember that trick Smoky used in one of his cars to get high power and great gas mileage too...neat trick...he would heat the gas in a valley of the intake manifold and he had a spinning bursh in there powered by a motor...brush was spinning very fast almost vaporizing the gas then it was blown down into the manifold..I think this was all done under the carb...I am surprised nobody ever picked up on that idea...I guess heating gas with exhaust gases was just pushing the envelope too much.. I would still like to prove a carb is better than an EFI for making power...If one tenth of the time for R&D was was spent on a carb as compared to an EFI no telling where it would be now..
My 83 Buick had a computer controlled carb on it...what a joke...although when the car was new it wasnt half bad..It actually got some pretty good gas mileage...but all those hoses, wires, emission crap, just like an accident waiting to happen.. I don't know what happened to it but it was getting 10 mpg when I pulled the plug on it..If I'm going to get 10 mpg from a motor it better have 500 HP if you know what I mean...

GM bought the info from Smokey and since fuel injection offered better mileage and power it was put in the archives. Sorry to say it but it's very old technology.:frown:

lol It does help atomization though . YES I know the turbo chews the sh!t out of the mixture haha but it also gets slammed into that foot and the floor of the intake manifold to break the droplets down even further. Yes Charlie I'm familiar with the "Olds jetfire" they debuted in the spotlight with Corvair for the first american turbocharged cars even from gm .
Rant rant Rant lol

either way... the 90* foot is retarded.

I hate it. but im too far away in the build to get rid of it yet.

Im only using the stock 301 housing with that 90* foot because Charlie talked me into it.

elimination of the 90* foot is the easiest HP the draw thru turbo can pick up.

A.j.

If the 301 inducer works for you Aj, then just do some mods to the housing so it mounts straight up. You can make it a turbo woody. LOL

Smoking the Buick

Guys I just dug out some of my stuff...I see that the turbo I have is an A/R
.82 AOD and that it was rebuilt by GM This seems a lot bigger that the standard one ...am I right on this or what.. also this turbin blade...how tight should it be?? it will turn lightly if I push it with my finger...but I thought it was suppose to spin freely when pushed? Also I see the small 3 hole flange for the oil ..and all three holes are threaded. I could see the ones on the ends threaded for the bolts but the center?? Is this the in and the one on the other side is the drain.. I know stupid questions but you have to start somewhere.. Where did they pick the oil up from and was the drain attached somewhere back to the valve cover or something.. I am using a regular 4 barrel holley manifold so it is going to require some mods to work.. I tried to attach a photo of the setup I am working with...lets see if works

Attachments

• turbo setup.jpg
    turbo setup.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 302
Smoking the Buick

If anybody has a diagram of the orginal hoses connections and wires please post it I believe that this is a setup off an 82 Buick GN but not sure.. I have a breakdown of the parts diagram from a chiltions book but it does not show where all the wires/ hoses go to.. I see a water inlet and outlet hose..and a small fitting below the carb probably for a vacumn gage or something... there is also some kind of a one wire sensor in there too.. I am guessing its a boost sensor but just guessing..

the feed line hooks up to where the oil sending unit is also called "dummy light" on the side of the block near pass side. the oil drains back to the intake manifold near the back.

That's a stock turbo and adaptor for the V6. The reason for all three holes being threaded is the center section is used in many different set ups. The stock one used a 90 degree fitting so you can hook up the feed line to the turbo.

As far as how they spin, a rebuilt turbo will be much tighter before it's installed. I should have slight resistance because it hasn't been pressurized with oil yet. Once it's run it will spin easier.

That's a stock turbo and adaptor for the V6. The reason for all three holes being threaded is the center section is used in many different set ups. The stock one used a 90 degree fitting so you can hook up the feed line to the turbo.

As far as how they spin, a rebuilt turbo will be much tighter before it's installed. I should have slight resistance because it hasn't been pressurized with oil yet. Once it's run it will spin easier.

+1

A.j.

Smoking the Buick

Great Info guys..thanks, Am going to the Chevy Dealer tormorrow with part in hand trying to locate some real photos or diagrams...a lot of those vac lines will hook up to the carb..If I get my hands on what I am looking for I will post it..
After looking at this thing a little closer and seeing that water actually flowed under the chamber where the air first hits...was just thinking..could find out a whole new use for that big old cold can...I don't know if you guys remember that.. but some racers use to have these copper pipes in a big can coiled all in the inside...and they use to put ice in the can to really cool the water down then they would pump it to a part of the motor that could really use it the most, like under the carb...Im taxing my memory on that one.
One thing I have to watch is the height of this thing..want it to fit under a stock GN hood...I see that the stock GN manifold is pretty low in that valley...and mine does stick up a bit since its a Holley Dominator..Oh well...I have a stock Regal hood that I can always cut up at will...but hate to loose that stock look if you know what I mean..

Was that the second link I was suppose to click on?? That didn't help..

LOL The before black website is what you need to click on. Rich has all the info on his site.:smile: The second link in my sig is about the turbo mod if you want a bigger turbo for the C/T system.:smile:

Guys I just dug out some of my stuff...I see that the turbo I have is an A/R
.82 AOD and that it was rebuilt by GM

It looks like a 1978-80 Buick Turbo for a RWD (non-riviera) to me.

Compare the casting number on the plenum (carb adapter) tot he numbers here:
BEFORE BLACK - Evolution of the Buick Turbo V6

Make life easier on your self and get a inatek from a 1979-80 Turbo V6. It will have the mounting points and the oil return line hole, etc.
BEFORE BLACK - Turbo V6 Intakes

Smoking the Buick

Ykes, a couple of more unidentified holes here...( sounds like an out take from an Adult Movie) Maybe somebody could tell me what these holes are for?? For the life of me I don't see why anybody would install a pipe into the pressure chamber under the carb....unless they were someway using it as a wastegate or something.. then there is that other hole that is threaed and has what looks like a pressure fitting inside of it....almost as if something was being injected into it.. Again in the dark here....Dealer was of no help. Neither was my parts guy..When I said 84 buick to the dealer he kind of looked at me like I was crazy just for asking.... So guys any help would be greatly appreciated:confused:

Attachments

• turbo 1.jpg
    turbo 1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 482
  • turbo 2.jpg
    turbo 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 497
The opening on the back of the carb adapter with the two threaded holes and the squarish orifice is the location for the EGR.
And the other port on the front that looks like it's an inverted flare "should" be the location for the brake booster plumbing .

Smoking the Buick

Great Info...one more question...right under that brake booster line.. that plastic sensor or something... do you have any idea of what that is ??:confused: