83 Regal into Turbo

Smokin the Buick

Just a artist at heart I guess...no kids, but a kid at heart...why take babie steps when you can take a quantum leap.. back to reality..

Smokin the Buick

With this single quad carb on ...the turbo...will the stock fuel pump handle it?? Should I go with an eletric?? Does anybody have a photo of a 79 Turbo setup in working condition on a car? I would love to see how all the brackets look. Also as far as the air intake... should I use a regular low profile air cleaner or use a snorkle and run a big hose out to the front of the car to pick up some fresh air ??:smile:

If you look at Ttype83's thread you can get a better idea of what the top looks like. You can use the factory pump on it for sure. I posted a linke for Rich a while ago with an aftermarket pump you can upgrade to off evilbay. I'm still thinking about getting one for myself.

I run a mechanical pump........

72 GS 455 HV.

you wont need any more than that until your in the 10s in a full wieght car.

A.j.

Smokin the Buick

What about the air breathers on the GN cars?? Do you need that to let out the extra blow by or something?? Should I put in a few Vents in my valve covers too?? :smile:

Smokin the Buick

Why would you need a smog pump for ?? Doesn't that just pump extra air into the carb?? I have the orginal smog pump that did come with the car, however one of the reasons I took it off it was sounding like a old worn out compresser with no muffler on it. It was just puffing loudly.
What about running something like draft pipe on an old 55 Chevy..Basically they just ran a pipe down next to the motor from the lifter valley and had all the fumes sucked out that way... I know the EPA would frown on that solution.

Why would you need a smog pump for ?? Doesn't that just pump extra air into the carb?? I have the orginal smog pump that did come with the car, however one of the reasons I took it off it was sounding like a old worn out compresser with no muffler on it. It was just puffing loudly.
What about running something like draft pipe on an old 55 Chevy..Basically they just ran a pipe down next to the motor from the lifter valley and had all the fumes sucked out that way... I know the EPA would frown on that solution.

the LT1 smog pump is electric. what I do is use the smog pump to "suck" the vapors out of the engine and into a breather can.

at the performance level your at the factory PCV should be plenty for what your doing.

A.j.

Smokin the Buick

Just thinking out loud here... I have a old pressure guage from 0-30 PSI..is there any reason I can't run a copper oil pressure to the base of the turbo and find out my boost that way.. A good Boost guage seems to be over a 100 bucks.
Also I was thinking of mounting a temp probe there also so I know what temp the air is running at. and mounting an exhaust temp guage some where down the line from the turbo. Did I mention I wanted to put in a digital air fuel meter also.. Dudes.. have to know what is going on in there while it is happening... probably reading too much heh...:rolleyes::D:cool:
Still want to contact a plating shop to see how much they will charge to put a zinc chromeate finish on the aluminum parts... Zinc chromeate is like the finish on most carbs...it slows down the Aluminum form oxidizing ...Have to see if they have something better now..Really don't want to block the excaping heat though.. Am thinking about using a heat dispersing paint on it though...Dupi Color makes it and its cheap.. 5.99 per can...think ceramic tiles on the space shuttle the paint has ceramic in it and is good to 1200 degrees It comes in various colors..The black is flat though.. Just talking maybe exhaust and manifold.

Most likely Vinnie. your gauge would work. Some of the real boost gauges are spendy as you found out.
Some boost gauges are dual with a vacuum and boost. Those are great. I like a good Vac gauge it's very useful when tuning carbs and ignition.
Still your pressure gauge should work to check boost as long as the gauge isn't for a liquid.

Smokin the Buick

I just found an Auto Meter for 36 dollars Boost / Vac... I am guessing that they will just read a vacumn when the turbo is not on?? Isn't the turbo on all the time?? Or at very low RPM there is no boost at all.. At what RPM would I expect to see boost begin??

Yes close. It will always read Vac, until the boost threshold is overcome in the turbo then from that point on until the accelerator is released the gauge will read boost. The turbo is always spinning when the engine is running but inertia is low and there is not enough heat in the exhaust at low RPM's to spool the turbo too see boost. So although the compressor wheel is spinning it is not creating any boost and you will see Vac on the gauge.

Smokin the Buick

I am going to pick up that Boost/ vac guage for 36 dollars...It sounds too good to be true to me...I'm thinking there must be a catch or something.. Thanks for the info, good idea with the vac / boost combo guage..:smile:

Smokin the Buick

I was able to pick up a vac / Boost guage at amazon for $19.00 plus shipping.. it efen lights up..can't believe it..:D