83 Regal into Turbo

Smokin the Buick

The 3.42 does sound a lot better, I had a 4.56 in my old chevy and I felt as if I was always in second gear. Great off the line though.. I think I will try to find a posi for it.. Do you have a posi unit for a ford 9 inch 31 Spine ?? Am looking for one for my Chevy..
I read somewhere that Ford 9 inch rears were used in the Grand National ...Is that right ??

LOL You can put a 9" in it but it didn't come from the factory that way.

As far as the 342's I got the rear because I got stiffed on the rebuld of it. It's the 7 & 5/8" gear and pinion and if you don't need the carrier. I can take it out and strip it down for you if you'd like. It's the same to put it in the smaller rear so it shouldn't be a problem.

LOL There are 4 different 10 bolt rears. 6.5", 7.5/7.625, 8.2", and 8.5". The 12 bolt never came in a metric chasis and is larger. There's even a truck 10 bolt but it's a weird one to say the least.

Monte Carlo SS's used the 7.5 inch rear. 3.73:1 gears in those!
The later 84(?)-up turbo Buicks and Olds 442 used the stronger 8.5 inch rear. They go for some good money these days.

I put a stock 83 T-type dual exhaust on my '79. It splits into duals behind the (missing) cat converter. I bet any cat-back GN exhaust would fit.

Smokin the Buick

Allright...I will be putting that Ford rear in my 65 Chev Impala Project...Ahhhh...there's a 10 bolt rear in that it came with a 283 engine and a powerglide trans...I will have to figure out what that gearing is in it..Maybe the Chevy ring and pinion will fit in the Buick?? hope....hope..??:rolleyes:

The 65 has the 8.2" in it if it's a 10 bolt. I'd see about selling it to someone doing a restoration. It would be worth more to someone else.

to Mr. Upholsterer: i know this is really unrelated to the post but when you do interior work what do you use to put like flames in a door panel. see this vid YouTube - How to Upholstery what material did he use to make the flames. Is it like packing foam? sorry but your the only person who does interior i know of.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyQZFuUMFMw[/YOUTUBE]

Smokin the Buick

Thats easy, its Closed Cell Foam, its dense and it does not absorb water...thats why it is called closed cell foam.

Smokin the Buick

Your right about selling the whole rear on that chevy, I have seen them go for over $200. dollars. Thanks for all the info.. I will concentrate on getting the motor to run right before attempting anything else on the car...
What do you initially set up the timing on a hot air turbo to get it in the ball park.. The Chiltons book is saying 15 degrees BTC for a NA car but they don't give any numbers for the turbo.

I'll have to look at the sticker on my 83 to make sure but it's about the same. The diff is if it has the turbo and ESC to retard timing. I'm sure Rich will jump in here at some point and tell me if I'm wrong.

Thats easy, its Closed Cell Foam, its dense and it does not absorb water...thats why it is called closed cell foam.

thank you. just by chance where do you get that stuff?

Smokin the Buick

A lot of the places I use to deal with have long since gone out of business. However there is a place called the FOAM FACTORY located in Michigan their Phone number is 586 627-3626 They do have a web site also Foam Factory - Wholesale polyurethane foam sheets, acoustical foam, eggcrate convoluted foam, memory foam, . They have about 6 different types of Closed Cell Foam. I have sent away for samples, they would be glad to send you samples too I am sure. They will sell to the general public too.. Most places I deal with are for the trade only. I think what you want is called Volarie..but I can't find any samples here ( in my shop) I have a roll of 3/4 inch but that is way too thick, what you need is 1/4 inch. One you don't want is neopreme...thats the stuff that they make wet suits out of.
Don't forget when you gule this stuff together to use High Temp glue...because it gets real hot in a car with the windows down and a headliner will just peel off and fall on your head with normal glue.:cool:

Smokin the Buick

NOW IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THIS OVER THE TOP ??? make some small foam animals....monsters...anything... glue it to the 1/4 inch foam spray the whole thing with some Flocking adhesieve glue...Then get a spray flocking on it with a spray gun that looks something like a small sandblaster...make sure you spray from 4 different directions...it will look like a scene from some claymation movie... what is flock ?? A lot of glove boxes are flocked...Pool tables look like flocking but they are not... But they use flocking for lettering on a lot of sweatshirts..they stencil on the glue then sprinkle on the flocking... The flocking only sticks to the glue.. Don't touch it before it sets because you will flatten it out.. You want the small fibers to stand up or on end when they stick in the wet glue... You will be the first person on your block to have a headliner that looks like an Frozen animation.
Try to surround the whole area with plastic sheeting so you can reclaim the flocking that does not stick.. the lower the pressure on the gun the better..:cool:

LOL How on earth did we go from tech questions to making a celling sculpture? You must have kids Vince.