6265 Turbo timeslips

Still alot of heat from the non lock up?

There is less heat than the LU unit unless its locked. The LU converters slip a lot more unlocked than the NL does. I drive up a 1500' highland to get to the closest drag strip. Ive driven there many times with my black car and a 9.5" PTC. The trans has not been apart in that car in 3 years.

Wow. I really thought there would be more times on these turbos. I see one so far. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't go with a 70mm to make sure I can make the numbers I am hoping for, the problem is I don't want to have to stall the car up to 3400-3500 to spool the turbo.

Not sure if I maxed out the ta49. I would say I was close.

It takes a lot of engine to max out one of the turbos with a 65 ex wheel. The TA 49 has been 10.80 on an unopened engine.

It's one of those things beat in our heads from the old days...things have changed since then:biggrin:

Took about 5 convertors to get through mine.:biggrin::biggrin:

People ask me if I have any bad things to say about my PTC convertor and I simply say "Yeah , its not at least 5 years old".

What convertors are guys running on the Precision 6776 bb? Just curious because I know they make good power.

There is less heat than the LU unit unless its locked. The LU converters slip a lot more unlocked than the NL does. I drive up a 1500' highland to get to the closest drag strip. Ive driven there many times with my black car and a 9.5" PTC. The trans has not been apart in that car in 3 years.

Do you have a trans cooler?(besides the one in the radiator) any problems with long trips? Sorry for the highjack

the ptc inmo is just such a unique piece.it is actually the best driving converter that i've tried along with the best 60ft and mph.

Wow. I really thought there would be more times on these turbos. I see one so far. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't go with a 70mm to make sure I can make the numbers I am hoping for, the problem is I don't want to have to stall the car up to 3400-3500 to spool the turbo.

Not sure if I maxed out the ta49. I would say I was close.

I dont think you'll have to rev 34-3500rpm to spool the 65 wheel. Like I said, I'm running the 6262 .63 jb and can spool it at 2800rpm.

mzunino,a 70mm is going to require alot more stall.if you look at otto's post his customers car put down 600 to the tire low boost,but the car has a very good motor in it,it just depends on what kind of motor you plan on building,and what kind of ex housing for the turbo.either way your 9.5 2800 will have to be loosened up a bit.

What convertors are guys running on the Precision 6776 bb? Just curious because I know they make good power.

With a stock stroke engine it needs a minimum 3200 stall to feel like it's responsive. If the car is pushed into the 10's you then run into excessive slip from a converter with that much stall unless it's a lock-up that can take WOT locks or a well designed non lock.

IMO for a mid-high 10 second car the 62mm is a better choice. It will support that hp level without needing more stall to get it going. The 67 would be for low 10's-high 9's.

Well I throw out there what my car did with a 6262 jb it was set to 24 psi on the street, however by the end of the 1/4 mile I was close to 30 psi with no knock, (see signature) . Just got back from BPG Nat's and got over 22 mpg on this set-up. I don't ever remember getting over 20mpg before. My next upgrade will be a converter from Dusty, when I decide to spend more money for performance.

Chuck

So do you mean a non-lock up? Your sig says a PTC 3200lu.

Maybe the roller bearing version. The journal needs more though.

Agreed Tuning my buds car after he switched from a 5857 to a 6262 journal with a 3000 stall there is a big difference in spool

Thanks for all the help guys this discussion is benefical. If I go with the 6265 what cam is best suited? I was thinking 212/218...I put up a new thread but it sounds like that might be a bit much if I don't go alot bigger on injectors. ANy thoughts?

Agreed Tuning my buds car after he switched from a 5857 to a 6262 journal with a 3000 stall there is a big difference in spool
The 62 trim ex wheel spools a tiny bit faster than an old garrett 76 p trim with a similar sized compressor. The wheels are nearly the same size. The old T04S 60-1 and the journal 6262 are very close in spoolup. Both made the same power up to the tested 500whp on my blue car also. The 62 compressor had a lot more in it but at the same boost there was nothing vs the 60-1. 27-28psi

Why the 62 ex needs more than a 2600 stall

Old 76 P trim on the left and Garrett GT on the right in 1st pic on the left in the other two. The 62 F1 wheel that Precision and T-netics use is a direct copy of this GT wheel with a slightly different blade length. The pitch of the blade and the blade count is the same on the GT and the F1. The p trim has 1 more blade. They are not to far apart in weight. The old P trim is taller and thinner and the GT is shorter and fatter. They need similar converters to work. These two turbines with ball bearing cartridges spool very well with a PTC 9.5" that goes to 2800 if they have the smaller compressor wheels attached to them.

Attachments

• turbines.JPG
    turbines.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 555
  • turbines2.JPG
    turbines2.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 557
  • turbines3.JPG
    turbines3.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 551
Only had my 6265 dbl bb turbo to the track once. Ran a 10.55 @123 mph, on only 23 lbs of boost, with a 1.39 sixty ft. Next run, I got the boost up to 25 psi and went 126 mph, but couldn't hook at the line and went high tens. This was with 91 oct and Razor's dbl nozzle alky. Old Art Carr 9" (3000 stall) non lock up. My car also has a 3.73 gear and a 28" tall tire. This a very streetable combo and gets 21 mpg. See full combo below.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Brian,

Thanks for the pictures and information.
My cell phone died...

Only had my 6265 dbl bb turbo to the track once. Ran a 10.55 @123 mph, on only 23 lbs of boost, with a 1.39 sixty ft. Next run, I got the boost up to 25 psi and went 126 mph, but couldn't hook at the line and went high tens. This was with 91 oct and Razor's dbl nozzle alky. Old Art Carr 9" (3000 stall) non lock up. My car also has a 3.73 gear and a 28" tall tire. This a very streetable combo and gets 21 mpg. See full combo below.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard
Nice times for 91 octane.