6265 Turbo timeslips

Only had my 6265 dbl bb turbo to the track once. Ran a 10.55 @123 mph, on only 23 lbs of boost, with a 1.39 sixty ft. Next run, I got the boost up to 25 psi and went 126 mph, but couldn't hook at the line and went high tens. This was with 91 oct and Razor's dbl nozzle alky. Old Art Carr 9" (3000 stall) non lock up. My car also has a 3.73 gear and a 28" tall tire. This a very streetable combo and gets 21 mpg. See full combo below.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard
Forgot to ask, what rpms were you trapping at?

About 6200 rpms. With my 3.73 gear and a 28" tall tire, my over all gear ratio is about 10% lower than stock. My heads and cam don't seem to mind the higher rpm. It would most likely be a tenth quicker with the stock gear. However, I feel that the lower gear makes it more streetable with a tighter converter, on a 99% street driven car.

Mike Barnard

Have you ever figured out the percent of slip the converter has?

SPOOLFOOL2's 123MPH pass: Converter Slip % =12.615
This is based on the 6200 rpm, going through the traps.

On second pass on new motor car ran 10.78 @ 127 MPH on soft launch with me "fuel boarding" it. My CS per PL was 5.3 with PTC NL convertor and 28" slicks, RPM 5553 and boost at 21.8 after creeping up from 20.

Turbo is 6265 JB and spools like a MOFO with DLS 218/218 roller cam and Dusty's convertor and will pull over 6200 with no float.

On second pass on new motor car ran 10.78 @ 127 MPH on soft launch with me "fuel boarding" it. My CS per PL was 5.3 with PTC NL convertor and 28" slicks, RPM 5553 and boost at 21.8 after creeping up from 20.

Turbo is 6265 JB and spools like a MOFO with DLS 218/218 roller cam and Dusty's convertor and will pull over 6200 with no float.

Thanks for the data Phil!

Working on getting the fuel right and eliminating any knock.

Having a Volkswagon Beetle is big advantage in this situation; you can hammer the snot out of it and nobody notices. A 10 second car gets noticed when you hammer it.:biggrin:

Do you have any plans to run 116 octane and really crank this up? Looks like you have everything needed to crack the 9 sec barrier. I'd be interested to see some 116 octane passes@ 32-33psi. It will be right there based on what you did already.

Do you have any plans to run 116 octane and really crank this up? Looks like you have everything needed to crack the 9 sec barrier. I'd be interested to see some 116 octane passes@ 32-33psi. It will be right there based on what you did already.

We talked about this about a year ago and I had planned to do it this fall but I knew I couldn't do it with the 212/212, used up flat tappet cam in the car. I had ordered a 210/210 roller from Dan Strezo and drove the car to my buddy's house that does most of my mechanical work to get it installed. A gasket decided it didn't want to work anymore and some coolant went into the crankcase and I was fortunate that it didn't seize up on me. Said screw it and got a stroker kit and reordered a different cam from Dan, a 218/218. The engine went together pretty smoothly and I raced it at Noble with 500 miles on it. I have been playing with it and trying to get the engine tuned properly. I think I'm getting close but the local track will close down at the end of the month so I'll have to wait until next spring to make the run you described.

Steve Wood, Dusty Bradford, John Wilde and you will be the first people outside of the OK Buick club to hear how it turns out.

As I've said before, I sincerely appreciate all the advice on parts and problem solving that you guys have given me.

Phil Engle

That's the plan for this spring. Car has been much harder to figure out than previous combos. Think a bad WB O2 sensor has caused most of my headaches.

That's the plan for this spring. Car has been much harder to figure out than previous combos. Think a bad WB O2 sensor has caused most of my headaches.
That turbo will run 9's with less than 30psi on the right engine

That turbo will run 9's with less than 30psi on the right engine

Totally agree with you. These turbos put out more than I thought they would when I bought one. Really amazed how fast a JB spools with DLS 218/218 cam and 2900 stall PTC.

Going to get some repairs done next week so the quest for the 9's will begin then.

Keep you posted.

What's the point of bragging about boost? If you're not using stock compression ratios it really doesn't matter. You will still need a certain amount of octane. Telling someone you ran 9.99 at 28psi and then when they try it its not even close. This is what leads some to go with bigger and "better" parts. After they do that people make light of it.

What's the point of bragging about boost? If you're not using stock compression ratios it really doesn't matter. You will still need a certain amount of octane. Telling someone you ran 9.99 at 28psi and then when they try it its not even close. This is what leads some to go with bigger and "better" parts. After they do that people make light of it.
The CR is just as much a part of a combo as the turbo and cam is imo. 8.95:1/29psi is nothing anyway. The turbo wasnt done at the mass flow/pressure ratio i ran. Yeah you need octane. The potential is there. Not much will be seen at sub 25psi levels.

Too you it isn't. Others are not as advanced or have been taught differently. How many times have you seen cars put together with stock ratios or less when using TRW spec pistons? Then they follow the rest of the build and can't make the same power and can't figure out why. They thought they were doing it right. The engine use used in your blue car for the dyno testing at Otto's is more comparable to the rebuilds around here. The 6265 on there wouldn't make 600 rwhp even at 38psi. We need to make it clear to people how to make power before laughing at their lack of results.

Too you it isn't. Others are not as advanced or have been taught differently. How many times have you seen cars put together with stock ratios or less when using TRW spec pistons? Then they follow the rest of the build and can't make the same power and can't figure out why. They thought they were doing it right. The engine use used in your blue car for the dyno testing at Otto's is more comparable to the rebuilds around here. The 6265 on there wouldn't make 600 rwhp even at 38psi. We need to make it clear to people how to make power before laughing at their lack of results.
Im not going to test that engine at 38psi but it probably would hit the 600whp mark by then if it didnt explode. A stock shortblock with good heads, off the shelf cam and .040 head gasket will make 600whp@25-26psi with a 6265 without much pain. For alky/93 cars im in no way against dropping the CR. Unfortunately when you do that you need to run a larger compressor to deal with the higher pressure ratio needed to hit a target hp which requires more converter and believe it or not usually a smaller duration cam with a faster ramp to make the same usable power since all the crap trapped in the clearance volume will choke off any power added duration could make if the cylinder was left cleaner like it would be if you ran 9.5:1 CR with nothing else changed. You also need a fuel system that will produce volume at 75psi since you will be running over 30psi of boost which is no easy chore if you run stock fuel lines with in tank pumps. Its all relative in some way.