212/212 vs. 204/214 FT cam??? thoughts?

buttonfly

The stable....
I figured someone in here has used both. I know they are both great cams. I had my 212/212 lose the #3 exhaust. I am debating between the two. I loved the way the 212 pulled. I am really leaning towards it, but I know how good the 204/214 is with a smallish turbo such as mine. never ran it at the track with the 212 but the 5800-6k shifts really helped the converter. I would say it was worth 4-6 mph and .3-.4 easy. I was kinda wanting to hear both sides of the fence on this one. Thanx in advance

I'll bump this. I've heard some say that the 204/214 cam was pretty decent but I'm sure that it's probably classified as "old school" now. JD in So. TX has ran them, I believe that his dad's car has one in it and it mph's really good, I guess that 126 is good:D. I've got a short block ready to be put together and I'm still researching cams for it.

If I where you I would go to a roller that would be the best thing

X2 !! I wouldn't waste my time with anything else .. I know I know..they cost $$$$.. BUT then your not worryin about wiping a lobe !! 212/212 roller here.. street car, pump gas/alky 9s @ 138+ :cool:

Is your 212 a roller, or are you shifting a flat tappet that high in the rpms? I'd stick with 212 roller. When you put a bigger turbo on you will be glad you did.

X2 !! I wouldn't waste my time with anything else .. I know I know..they cost $$$$.. BUT then your not worryin about wiping a lobe !! 212/212 roller here.. street car, pump gas/alky 9s @ 138+ :cool:

x3

Plus now that it wiped the cam, your turbo is shot. So now your doing cam, lifters, and turbo. Not to mention the metal grindings floating around the motor.

You wont have any turbo Buick engine builder do one with a flat tappet. Let alone know you'll be racing it.

Its not a problem of IF.. but a problem of when.

I would go roller as well given the choice, but if you have to go FT I don't think you can go wrong with the 204/214. As La8agn My dads full weight 86 has been 126 mph with one with a PT61 and Ive went 124 with one on a 61 as well. Both at 24-25 psi. I will say that my motor with about 40000 on it did start to drop off on the dyno at 5000 or so which surprised me a little. It worked well with a 5200 shift point.

Well..............roller it is. I just wanted to make the FT work. Just make the budget a bit bigger. that 210/215 roller looks damn good from full throttle! lol thanks guys. just gonna leave it parked until I get the roller stabbed in it.

Well..............roller it is. I just wanted to make the FT work. Just make the budget a bit bigger. that 210/215 roller looks damn good from full throttle! lol thanks guys. just gonna leave it parked until I get the roller stabbed in it.

220/224 from Full Throttle here ,best cam I ever used :smile: try smooth idle at 14.5 AFR 950 RPM :eek: ,car never drove better street or strip :cool:

220/224 from Full Throttle here ,best cam I ever used :smile: try smooth idle at 14.5 AFR 950 RPM :eek: ,car never drove better street or strip :cool:

Where do you shift that baby? And are the GN1's as-cast or ported?