Cam recommendation

kwiktsi

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but for some reason, the search isn't working. I have a tta with ported heads, 50# injectors, rjc power plate, forged pistons (9:1 cr), holley hp efi and bigger turbo- unknown journal bearing with a 1 piece compressor cover- will probably post a thread asking for Id help in the am. I am looking at flat tappet cams, budget won't allow for roller at this time. I have been told everything from a 206/206 to 218. I am kind of leaning towards a 212/212 but figured I'd ask those with more experience with these motors than I. I spoke with Rick Harper and he said he has a 212/206 that may work well in it, though felt a 206/206 may be better. They're all tiny compared to what I'm used to with the ls stuff lol. Thanks in advance.
Joe

Edit- the car also has a 2800 stall and alky injection

Last edited:
To be honest there isn't one other than "as fast as this setup will take me". I'd like no less than mid 11s and, if possible, faster but I am honestly unfamiliar with what the potential of these are with what parts. I'm just good at pushing things as far as they'll go :).

it might already have a bigger cam in it with all the other mods done. Also the ported heads do more for power than the cam will.

it might already have a bigger cam in it with all the other mods done. Also the ported heads do more for power than the cam will.
It does- BUT it is an unknown cam and the lifters had worn to flat/slightly dished on the bottom. I didn't want to risk just putting new lifters on it and dealing with a wiped out cam later. I figured I'd rather just go new, not risk it and know what I have.

T
It does- BUT it is an unknown cam and the lifters had worn to flat/slightly dished on the bottom. I didn't want to risk just putting new lifters on it and dealing with a wiped out cam later. I figured I'd rather just go new, not risk it and know what I have.
Oh I see, that's a good reason.

Maybe find out what the turbo is before you go too "cam crazy".

Turbo is apparently an old precision te34.

To whoever moved this and told me to "read the damn sticky"- I may have missed it, but I did not see a cam selection sticky. If the search worked and didn't keep turning up an error every time I tried to search for something, I may not have had to post in the first place :). If there was a sticky that applied, you could have just said so.

Turbo is apparently an old precision te34.

To whoever moved this and told me to "read the damn sticky"- I may have missed it, but I did not see a cam selection sticky. If the search worked and didn't keep turning up an error every time I tried to search for something, I may not have had to post in the first place :). If there was a sticky that applied, you could have just said so.
I agree, please fix the dang search! I can search for the word "turbo" and it finds nothing. prob can search for the word Buick with the same result, aaarggg!

And the search doesn't pull up exactly what your looking for. The smartazz comments from some are not help either. Staying flat tappet or swapping to roller? The 206/206 works very well on a street car. 2 friends have 10 sec cars(23-24psi) with aluminum heads and one has a 210/210 and the other has a 212/212. Know another with a 206/206 roller and Champion ported iron heads and it went mid tens also.
Its all in the combo and tune. Bigger the cam the higher the powerband moves up.

The search wasn't working at all for me. Kept giving me errors. Wasn't sure if it was something one my end or not.

As for cam, staying flat. I think the 206 will be a good match for what I have now but wonder if a little bigger would get a little more up top and give me some room to grow. I still can't get used to how small the cams are that they use in these, part of the reason I'm having a hard time chosing.

Really no need to go bigger than a 206/206 109 lsa. If you can swing a roller there is some performance advantage with it as well as a potential better durability over the long run.
There are different lobe iterations that are more or less aggressive and the more aggressive lobes can be noisier if that is a concern.

I ran bottom 10's with one of the first 206/206 hydraulic rollers and this was with A 107 lsa as this cam was re ground from a 200/200 roller that I went 10.40's with.

The temptation to go with a big cam is there but there is far more power to be had with the right turbo, heads, inner cooler, injectors and so on for your performance goal.

Mid 8 second performance is very acheivable with a 224/224 cam as Forcefed3.8 and others have allready done.
These Buick turbo regals can run very well but it is really about the combination of parts that make it happen.
A good 206/206 roller really does a lot of things right. HTH

Really no need to go bigger than a 206/206 109 lsa. If you can swing a roller there is some performance advantage with it as well as a potential better durability over the long run.
There are different lobe iterations that are more or less aggressive and the more aggressive lobes can be noisier if that is a concern.

I ran bottom 10's with one of the first 206/206 hydraulic rollers and this was with A 107 lsa as this cam was re ground from a 200/200 roller that I went 10.40's with.

The temptation to go with a big cam is there but there is far more power to be had with the right turbo, heads, inner cooler, injectors and so on for your performance goal.

Mid 8 second performance is very acheivable with a 224/224 cam as Forcefed3.8 and others have allready done.
These Buick turbo regals can run very well but it is really about the combination of parts that make it happen.
A good 206/206 roller really does a lot of things right. HTH
Helped quite a bit, thank you. I'll probably just stick with the 206 then. I would prefer roller, but don't really want to put the extra $$$ into it. Trying to stick to a budget on the car and wasn't planning on a motor rebuild. Got kind of hosed by the seller when I bought it. I still need to paint it and get the interior done. Never ending...

Since you mentioned intercooler, is this one much of a restriction? I was debating on going front mount but figured with the alky, I wouldn't really need it unless the stocker was restrictive. Thanks again.
Joe

I just gave away a Comp 206 flat tappet. There have been several used rollers sold on here foe real good prices. If you have issues with that lifter you mentioned you need to cut open the oil filter and look for metal.

My cam still looked fine but I wasnt going to risk it, so it's sitting at the bottom of the trash can. Lifters were still smooth, just flat and slightly concave on the bottom, crown was gone. It wasn't a catastrophic failure or anything.

As for the filter, not even worth bothering, the whole motor is disassembled and at the machine shop for a rebuild, so it's irrelevant now lol. All the bearings and such were perfect but the guy before me overheated the hell out of it apparently and cooked the tension out of the rings. Reason for teardown was blowby and smoking, otherwise, there were no problems with it.

Helped quite a bit, thank you. I'll probably just stick with the 206 then. I would prefer roller, but don't really want to put the extra $$$ into it. Trying to stick to a budget on the car and wasn't planning on a motor rebuild. Got kind of hosed by the seller when I bought it. I still need to paint it and get the interior done. Never ending...

Since you mentioned intercooler, is this one much of a restriction? I was debating on going front mount but figured with the alky, I wouldn't really need it unless the stocker was restrictive. Thanks again.
Joe
What do you have for a cooler....I didnot see it listed...Stock?

What do you have for a cooler....I didnot see it listed...Stock?
Yes, bone stock intercooler. I figured if it didn't cool well, the alky would make up for it but if flow is an issue, I'll go front mount. Just need to fit it in there somehow with the radiator, ac condenser and I planned on putting a trans cooler in. That's why I was hoping stock with alky would suffice.

The stock intercooler is a concern for restriction and pressure drop. Many counter this on a budget by cutting the inlet tube off of the intercooler and welding on a larger neck with a smoother bend in it. Most call it a "dutt neck". There are a few supporting vendors that carry them. Sometimes you can find stock intercoolers with duttnecks already installed in the parts for sale section. I think they are pretty cheap - less than a couple hundy???

Otherwise, it's time to get out the check book and figure out if you want to let loose of a grand on a precision stock location IC, or any of the countless front mounts that are offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock intercooler is a concern for restriction and pressure drop. Many counter this on a budget by cutting the inlet tube off of the intercooler and welding on a larger neck with a smoother bend in it. Most call it a "dutt neck". There are a few supporting vendors that carry them. Sometimes you can find stock intercoolers with duttnecks already installed in the parts for sale section. I think they are pretty cheap - less than a couple hundy???

Otherwise, it's time to get out the check book and figure out if you want to let loose of a grand on a precision stock location IC, or any of the countless front mounts that are offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I did anything, I'd go front mount and make up the piping and such myself. I dont even know if anyone sells a front mount kit for the tta anyway?