1/8th mile TSM Point Series Race

Should the '10 TSM Point Series include the 1/8th mile Turbobuick.com Nationals race?

• Yes, with full points

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Yes, with scaled-back points (TBD later)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • No, the TSM Point Series should only include 1/4 mile races

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • What is TSM?

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Does anybody know how many people are participating in the points race this year?

We are having the event either way. It will be handled under TSM series rules. If it becomes a point series race that will only make it better. We figured that paying out more at one race than most of the others combined would excite the racers. Not trying to have a dispute... It is not worth it IMO... We just want to put on a good show for everyone to have a good time. An event where the racers get what they deserve...

The MAIN POINT of this event is to get away from all of the political BS involved...

As far as the rules are concerned, I would tell you that whatever rules are in place come the day of qualifying of this event would be honored, new and old. Totally up to the way the rules are structured.

Now that T6P.com is back up, I tried to upload the current rules with revisions as voted in by the TSM point series racers, but failed. I'll try again tonight.

Basically the rules are the same as is presently listed at Turbo Street Modified with the addition of manual steering being allowed (but not rack & pinion) and aftermarket cast aluminum intakes being allowed. The next time these rules will be considered for change is in late 2010 for the 2011 season.

I voted no also but like Phil, will try to make the race. How about a moderator on this board change that poll to public so we can see how the actual TSM racers voted.

I looked into that and do not see anyway for me to change that poll property now that it has been posted...

I think you just proved my point.

I'll lay it out for ya. If there were only 3 races....and there were 10 people serious about the points, those racers would have to attend all 3 races. Each race would theoretically have at least 10 cars. Now, if there were 8 races, then those racers may not ever even race against each other and you could have only one car show up (that happened last year). Get what I'm saying? Like I said, I have 4 races all within 3-4 hours from where I live. Why would I need to go south for a race that doesn't pay a lot (Reynolds and Oklahoma). I don't need the points. The nice thing about the north is this can be pulled off. Now, if 2 races up here were pulled from the points series, I would have to go south. I don't see that happening with at least 3 of the races (Nats, Norwalk and BPG). Having to attend 4 races would stretch a lot of budgets (especially for a series that has $0 of payout this year.)

Adding this event makes one more event that potentially will take cars away from another event. With only 6-8 cars showing up for each race this year...that would suck.

Ok,
NEW NAME no longer call it the points series lets call it the TSM NORTH POINT SERIES. :confused:

I voted yes. Racing is racing and it is all fun. I realize some cars may run better in the 1/8th. But some cars run better on hot days. In the end, you have to race through the field to win and it makes no diff. if it is 1/8 or 1/4. Plus it adds a little variety. Kinda like the Sprint Cup boys racing on the road course. In the end 1 event should not make that big a difference and it gives the guys from the southeast a 2nd race that isn't 10 hours away. You guys in the midwest have 3 plus BG is a lot closer too I think. It is 9 hours for me to BG but way longer for the Fla. crew.

Sully

Kevin you seem the most vocal about this so are YOU going to come down and run this event?? Im just wondering.. The point is to NOT take cars away from one event or another, it simply adds another venue for the racers to choose from that might be close to them as well. I would love for this thing to become a points race but if it doesn't turn out this way then it is what it is.. BTW the talley up to this point is 8 for and 6 against. Is the majority going to decide the outcome?? Do YOU not like it because of the 1/8th mile??? I don't see anyone complaining that live in the south having to come up and race in the north for a TSM event. Is your car competitive enough through the 1/8th mile?? Seems that Phil's car would definately have been based on his post. 1/8th mile racing causes you to be a better driver. You can't just be 3 10ths behind on the tree and run someone
down in 660 ft.

You got me wrong. I'm not against this race at all. I'd love to make it. It all depends on what my money situation looks like at that time. My racing budget all depends on side work on other TR's. If I get a decent job around that time, I'm there. Like Phil, I would have also won the Norwalk race this year b/c I was winning at the 1/8th.

My point is that adding a points race may take away from another race. That's all!!!

Ok,
NEW NAME no longer call it the points series lets call it the TSM NORTH POINT SERIES. :confused:

Just like NASCAR does in their amateur leagues.

The south needs it's on TSM races that way they don't have to travel to ohio all the time. ? Are the fast cars in the south are out west somewhere.

I don't think it should be apart of the series. We have never had a 1/8mi race before. There are some of us that 1/8 mi better than others. If Columbus was an 1/8mi race I would have beat Scott by almost a car length. I think that would have been unfair to him.
With that being said I'm seeing if I can work this race into my schedule.
While I may not be a participant in the TSM points series, I do believe this thinking to be incorrect. As you say " There are some of us that 1/8 mi better than others" WELL that could be said of the 1/4 mi also!!!

" There are some of them that 1/4 mi better than others TOO "!!! :) I personally don't see the thinking of this other than for ones set up.. I'm not here to bust balls but whether it is a 1/8 or 1/4 is still the same outcome in the end, Like (sgrim) has mentioned before " You must go through the 1/8th before you get to the 1/4"!!! whats the big deal ???? Don't like something different? Well sometimes things need to change in order to bring new crowds! Without crowds NOTHING happens (No event, No pay out!) !!! HAVE AN OPEN MIND .....

Just my .02 --- Done...

SW.

I think you just proved my point.

I'll lay it out for ya. If there were only 3 races....and there were 10 people serious about the points, those racers would have to attend all 3 races. Each race would theoretically have at least 10 cars. Now, if there were 8 races, then those racers may not ever even race against each other and you could have only one car show up (that happened last year). Get what I'm saying? Like I said, I have 4 races all within 3-4 hours from where I live. Why would I need to go south for a race that doesn't pay a lot (Reynolds and Oklahoma). I don't need the points. The nice thing about the north is this can be pulled off. Now, if 2 races up here were pulled from the points series, I would have to go south. I don't see that happening with at least 3 of the races (Nats, Norwalk and BPG). Having to attend 4 races would stretch a lot of budgets (especially for a series that has $0 of payout this year.)

Adding this event makes one more event that potentially will take cars away from another event. With only 6-8 cars showing up for each race this year...that would suck.
Kevin The south has still traveled up north MORE than the North has traveled south!!! what SUCKS is the fact that you can attend 3 races to compete in the TSM points series without having to travel south at all !!!! and the south has to spend Thousands $$$ to travel up north to get these races in !!!! I think the MINIMUM should be upped to 4or 5 races to compete in the series if you ask me! What you just pointed out was a little hidden plus for you guy's in the north and that should really be addressed!!! ;) GOOD POINT!!

Just trying to make thing fair!!!! :biggrin:

SW.

I see something here that gives the smaller budget guy better chance to win HOLESHOT . Racers can't buy that you have to have it plus 1/8 racin , not so hard on the car and gives the budget guys better chance at a win . Myself I love racin period plan on being there see how the winter goes .

Hey kevin good points understand what your sayin .

I would like to say to SGRIM thanxs for the new event seem like you and clint have one hell of event comin together .

An Finally ,if anyone got some childish ,immature ,BS to type don't ,because your not helpin anything.

Randy

oh ya I voted yes

First of all Thanks to Shane and Clint for putting effort in this event.
I didn't want to get in this but I see some people don't remeber their History.

The reason for so many events in the North is the people putting on these events either for there club chapters or clubs have been doing it for over many years. They want to put on an event for their members.

The South had an event that the North loved to go to at Bristol, unfortunetly it seem that 911 caused a draught in attendance ,Jim Haas banked rolled it out of his pocket.

Face the facts it is tough economically, travelling is expensive.
There are not enough participants to have a full program at any event but GSCA Nats in TSM.

If you all don't realize it the Buick community gets smaller every year.

You all in the South have an event. Reynolds

The $100 entry fee funds the payout that is fairley high in these times.

In the south the correct terminology is Ya'll :p

First of all Thanks to Shane and Clint for putting effort in this event.
I didn't want to get in this but I see some people don't remeber their History.

The reason for so many events in the North is the people putting on these events either for there club chapters or clubs have been doing it for over many years. They want to put on an event for their members.

The South had an event that the North loved to go to at Bristol, unfortunetly it seem that 911 caused a draught in attendance ,Jim Haas banked rolled it out of his pocket.

Face the facts it is tough economically, travelling is expensive.
There are not enough participants to have a full program at any event but GSCA Nats in TSM.

Man you hit the nail on the head. I keep hearing we have to come up there to race well then have a good race in the South and "People will come". For the record I went to every Bristol event except one and went to Reynolds 3 years until it was clear to me that not many people were going to show.

For the record I would vote to let the NC race in the point series.

See ya, Kip

Im glad to see that this thread is getting lots of traffic. I can tell you that the entire racing portion of this whole thing is is only part of the entire event. I will tell you here in a few weeks I will make an announcement that MIGHT make a few of you hit the dyno in Burlington in the days before the actual race. It is nothing that has been done before that I am aware of on this scale in the Buick community. It might even give you the edge in TSM...

Im glad to see that this thread is getting lots of traffic. I can tell you that the entire racing portion of this whole thing is is only part of the entire event. I will tell you here in a few weeks I will make an announcement that MIGHT make a few of you hit the dyno in Burlington in the days before the actual race. It is nothing that has been done before that I am aware of on this scale in the Buick community. It might even give you the edge in TSM...

:cool: :biggrin:

While I may not be a participant in the TSM points series, I do believe this thinking to be incorrect. As you say " There are some of us that 1/8 mi better than others" WELL that could be said of the 1/4 mi also!!!

" There are some of them that 1/4 mi better than others TOO "!!! :) I personally don't see the thinking of this other than for ones set up.. I'm not here to bust balls but whether it is a 1/8 or 1/4 is still the same outcome in the end, Like (sgrim) has mentioned before " You must go through the 1/8th before you get to the 1/4"!!! whats the big deal ???? Don't like something different? Well sometimes things need to change in order to bring new crowds! Without crowds NOTHING happens (No event, No pay out!) !!! HAVE AN OPEN MIND .....

Just my .02 --- Done...
SW.

I'm not trying to pee on your parade.:rolleyes: I don't think it should be a part of the point series.
What I was trying to say is that some cars are SET UP 1/4mi tyracks and some for 1/8mi. For example the guys that run a tight convertor can make up alot of ground on the back half and they're at a disadvantage in the 1/8. There are other things that can make a differance also. I don't want to have to change my car everytime I race a 1/8mi. Not that I don't like something different, or that I don't have an open mind. Shoot, I said that I would attend this event. It'll be the first time I will have race a 1/8mi. That would be different.
The only thing I see in the rules that might need changed to allow 1/8 mile racing would be 11.99 or quicker to qualify.

I'm not trying to pee on your parade.:rolleyes: I don't think it should be a part of the point series.
What I was trying to say is that some cars are SET UP 1/4mi tyracks and some for 1/8mi. For example the guys that run a tight convertor can make up alot of ground on the back half and they're at a disadvantage in the 1/8. There are other things that can make a differance also. I don't want to have to change my car everytime I race a 1/8mi. Not that I don't like something different, or that I don't have an open mind. Shoot, I said that I would attend this event. It'll be the first time I will have race a 1/8mi. That would be different.
The only thing I see in the rules that might need changed to allow 1/8 mile racing would be 11.99 or quicker to qualify.

Phil so you think maybe a 6.69 or faster 1/8th mile to run TSM?? Just trying to follow you. I would have no issues with that however I feel that even a low 10 sec car is at minimum 6.60-6.50 in the 1/8th mile