Your First car you bought out of High School

Graduated HS in 84, still driving a 1980 Regal which replaced a 77 T-Top Regal that was totalled by a drunk driver crossing the center line (another story). 1986 I bought a 1986 Olds 442, shortly followed by a 72 Plymouth "cuda which received a 383 transplant. Miss both of those cars...

Back in 1979 , I bought a 1979 Chevy C10 brand new for $4700.00 from the dealer , sold it 4 years later for $4900.00 for the down payment on my house.

250 CID inline six , two barrel carb and dual headers (factory) , Three speed on the tree.
8" fleet side , Hawaiian blue. 2WD.

I still miss that truck!

1977 Pontiac LeMans Sports Coupe 1986, Junior summer of HS. 305...blew the trans withing the first year down shifting while dragging...thing used to jump when going about 30mph if I would drop it down, one to many times. Great car, lots of compliments.

my first car in 10th grade was a 1987 Buick Grand National.. thats right you heard correct..

Attachments

• FairlaneGT.jpg
    FairlaneGT.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 278
My first car is my 1986 Buick Regal Limited I bought in 1994. It was a 307 car. I really wanted a 87/88 Monte Carlo SS but couldn't afford one in high school. I ended up buying my Regal for $2600. Not being happy with the 307, I bought a 454 BBC/TH400/12bolt for it and swapped my SR year of high school in 1995. It was pretty cool driving that every day! With a big solid lifter cam and stock short block, the car ran 11.20's on motor and 10.6's on 125 shot of nitrous. Pulled the 454 and rebuilt it to a 496 and ran the car like that for a few years. Moved to NC in 2000 and the car sat for a while, a long while. Ended up selling it in 2005 as a roller. Really regretted it!

Ended up running in the the guy I sold it to in 2007 at a race and mentioned that I would be interested in buying it back if he ever decided to sell it. Two weeks later he called and said come get her! So she is back with me and in the process of getting an 86 LC2 swap and will be my daily driver. Cutting the roll bar out and going to have it painted this winter, hope to have it finished for next spring!

Attachments

• buick regal.jpg
    buick regal.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 267
My first car was a 1934 Chevrolet Master sedan. Paid $50 for it, and it was in great shape! My Dad never let me bring it home, so I had to store it down at my Grandparent's farm. (Preston, Maryland) Never got to drive it, wasn't allowed to. Sat in it for hours on end. (back then, we OBEYED our fathers when they said no....just lived with it, not go out and shoot them just because we can't have our way or hate authority like today)

The car I DROVE from 11th to 12th grade was a fully restored 1926 Model T doctor's coupe. (Cost: $250) (I graduated in 1966) My Mom was always getting exasperated when she woke up on cold mornings to find four Model T coils warming in the oven. This was a trick to start the car in cold weather. Worked like a charm. Then I got a '49 Desoto four door, perfect shape. (Cost: $75)

My first car out of high school was a 1955 Lincoln Capri coupe. In perfect condition. White with black and white interior, leather, full power. Comfortable as hell. 352 engine, if I remember correctly. (Cost:$500)

Then it was in January 8, 1968 that I picked up my ordered 1968 Ram Air Firebird 400. Yellow, black interior, black vinyl roof. (Cost new: $3686, $3000 for the car, $686 to finance it) Of course, I HAD to hot rod it.....jacked it up all around like the pro stockers of the day (I attended York, PA's Super Stock Nationals every year, so that's where I got the idea from...ie, Sox & Martin, Ronnie Lyles, General Lee, Bill Jenkins, Don Carlton, Don Nickolson. All those guys were there with their Pro Stock cars. Very, very nice guys to talk with). Put 14x7 Ansen Sprints on the front, 15x10 Ansen Sprints on the back with big, bad Mickey Thompson L60s on them. Bad ass looking.

I modified the engine so much that I got the gas milelage down to 5 mpg:rolleyes::frown: Nice work there, huh? I sold the Firebird in 1972 to buy my '66 one owner Corvette coupe. The guy who bought the Firebird lost control of it on a rain slicked road about two months later behind our high school and hit a man walking his dog. Both man and dog were killed, and the driver got 6 months suspended license, that's all. Real justice there. I went and took pictures of my wrecked Firebird, which I still look at to this day. I was so in love with that car. Really. Loved it so much I even slept in at times. :D I've got a picture my buddy took of me waxing the Firebird in a snowstorm. Cold, but nice coat of wax. I was THAT infatuated with it. I've always loved old cars, though. My dream car, though, is a 1934 Chevrolet Street Rod sedan. Somehow, we never forget our "first" car we had. Never.

PS: Note to Dennis: I'm your age, so you're not alone here, sport!:D Isn't getting old fun? You should see me squirm into my Vette....cracks, noise, creaks, and I'm not sure whether it's coming from me or the car.:rolleyes::p

Bruce '87 Grand National

My first car was a 1934 Chevrolet Master sedan. Paid $50 for it, and it was in great shape! My Dad never let me bring it home, so I had to store it down at my Grandparent's farm. (Preston, Maryland) Never got to drive it, wasn't allowed to. Sat in it for hours on end. (back then, we OBEYED our fathers when they said no....just lived with it, not go out and shoot them just because we can't have our way or hate authority like today)

The car I DROVE from 11th to 12th grade was a fully restored 1926 Model T doctor's coupe. (Cost: $250) (I graduated in 1966) My Mom was always getting exasperated when she woke up on cold mornings to find four Model T coils warming in the oven. This was a trick to start the car in cold weather. Worked like a charm. Then I got a '49 Desoto four door, perfect shape. (Cost: $75)

My first car out of high school was a 1955 Lincoln Capri coupe. In perfect condition. White with black and white interior, leather, full power. Comfortable as hell. 352 engine, if I remember correctly. (Cost:$500)

Then it was in January 8, 1968 that I picked up my ordered 1968 Ram Air Firebird 400. Yellow, black interior, black vinyl roof. (Cost new: $3686, $3000 for the car, $686 to finance it) Of course, I HAD to hot rod it.....jacked it up all around like the pro stockers of the day (I attended York, PA's Super Stock Nationals every year, so that's where I got the idea from...ie, Sox & Martin, Ronnie Lyles, General Lee, Bill Jenkins, Don Carlton, Don Nickolson. All those guys were there with their Pro Stock cars. Very, very nice guys to talk with). Put 14x7 Ansen Sprints on the front, 15x10 Ansen Sprints on the back with big, bad Mickey Thompson L60s on them. Bad ass looking.

Hey that's a good car story...sounds like my dad's long and interesting journey with cars...he always tells me (and I'm sure you'll agree) that he doesn't envy my generation one bit, because with all the so-called progress and technology we have now, things have gotten more impersonal and detached than ever before. He had a blast with all his cars, back when street racing would get the town police to come out and tell you "thats about enough fellas, now get on home" lol...now its a serious felony, esp here in CA. I love car stories from back in the day, makes me imagine that there really were once "good old days" (long before I was around) :)

My HS days I had a 1984 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup with a reg cab, long bed, two-tone brown/yellow paint and a hood I had to keep shut with zip-ties...this was in 1998 mind you, so it was pretty embarrassing! My hometown was a rich mostly asian neighborhood, so junior year you'd see all these new BMW 3s, MB C-classes, even AMG/M models, etc. all over the school parking lot and I'd come rumbling up in that old thing...I parked a couple streets away and walked to school until I got over it :redface:

Things got a lot better after graduation though. First car I actually paid for was a 1999 30th Anniv. WS6 Trans Am. That car was just sick. Got it a couple months before I graduated, so it made up for the years in the landscaper truck pretty nicely. :cool:

My first car was when I was 16,it was a 1991 z28 with 4 rod bearing knocks.If the idle didn't stay about 1500 rpm it would stall from all the drag on the crank.I broke the spider gear in the rear 2 days after I got the car from all the burn outs and donuts.Swapped in a borg warner tta rear and haven't had a problem since.Pulled the motor out and somebody took out the 5.7 TPI and put a 5.0.I remember how upset I was.

Glad this topic is still up. It took some time to figure out the exact order of the early cars again!

My first purchase out of High School was my 10th car. A 77 Road Runner "Sun Runner". It was an Orange SuperPak car with 318/console auto, the T-Bar roof that made it a SR, and the typical rusty floors. I 'glassed the pans and repainted them orange. I made my own strips from black grip tape that said "road runner" and used em like bathtub flowers in it! We used that car as a dune buggy! It rarely got the tops put back in again. It'd get fulla sand, dirt, mud, stones or whatever and I'd just run down to the car wash and spray it out, wipe down the vinyl and start the process over again! It was a fun car! I even had marine speakers in it for the radio. By fall I traded it for a 76 Aspen RT. Blue w blk/wht stripes. 318, 4spd, posi, moonroof, decor pkg1, radio delete. The RR ended up hitting the back of a dumptruck with no working tail lights that same fall. The driver was OK, but the car was totalled. The trans got shoved into the backseat. Thank God there wasn't a passenger! I took off what little was salvagable when I found it in a tractor junkyard. It was ugly.

Nuther funny story. A car I bought in HS, #8, stayed with me even longer than #5(my first buick and a whole other story of a stalker car). It was one of the first black SuperPak 76 Aspen RT's made. I now have one made earlier, in the first week of production. Many years later, when talking of mine and my sister's exploits in customer cars that were at our bodyshop, crazy stuff;), I finally told my parents about how I had as many as four of those black SuperPak RT's at any given time in the two years after HS I'd lived at 'home'!:D My mom exclaimed that she'd thought I just had a bunch of different sets of mags that I'd change around all the time!:D:D:D
Some of those couldn't get outa their own way, the Best one I built got 3-5mpg and could and did roast the factory fresh 87 GN's around!

My Dad never let me bring it home, so I had to store it down at...

I can relate to that! Among others later, cars #6- a 67 Dart GT that was coded as having a 383 but came with a 318, and #9- an orange 70 Super Bee, 383/auto-col, bench, HT. and #9- a 71 Road Runner (roach) were stored at one of two other garges I rented in town, rather than deal with the possibility of another issue like I went through with #3. That one was a 65 Galaxie LTD. A very nice car that I kept in the neighbor's corn crib at the beginning of my senior year. I was only 17 at that point and dad got so angry about my having something he wasn't aware of that he had it hauled off to the scrap yard. It was toast by the time I realized it was gone the following day. I was angry too, but I let him have the victory just as he'd had his little joy in selling #2, the 68 Torino GT sedan my grampa had mistakenly put into dad's name for me. Grampa had taken the day off of making them himself to walk down the line with that car. Can't say respect was such a consideration in my time as was yours. More to the point of picking the battles and the grounds to have them on. I won out in the end. As though there's an end. It's funny how things change over the years. Now I'm loaning him tools, equipment and labor for his pre-retirement project, a 60 Starliner. The labor part is taxing though. He still has trouble accepting that I know more and can save money and time and effort along the way of a top-notch job, but he's finding out along his way. Finally. Funny how I made the bodyshop we ran when I was younger so profitable and now I'm having to teach him all over again!

My first car was a 84 2dr Mercury Topaz given to me buy my Mom. I graduated in 95 and first car I bought myself was 1981 Buick Regal :D

first vehicle i bought out of high school was a 91 Nissan Pathfinder SE. What an awesome vehicle that was. First car I bought was an 06 Charger SRT-8

Graduated in May, immediately got a job selling casing for oil wells on commission. Bought a brand new, vacuum cleaner kit thing and all, 1987 Buick Grand National with my Christmas bonus check. I had arrived!!!! Kept that car 7 years, put 100,000 miles on it and sold it for what I paid for it. Finally, after lost everything in Katrina, my wife gave her blessings for me to buy another one. Man, I have a great wife, she loves the car as much as I do:)

Great stories

In retrospect, my first car I bought and dragged home I was just 13 at the time....never got the car to run but pulled the motor for a science project at school and got a 3rd place with it. It sure looked pretty!

Car was a 1952 Austin A40 model believe....

the Corvette I mention originally was my first car upon graduation....I went thru 5 others prior to this. Life was sure simplier back then.......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

who can beat this one? lol! i sold my blue t i had in high school to help pay for college. got this through a trade for some work on a local funeral homes fleet. this thing had been sitting in the back of their garage for about 15 years. i got it running and drove it 9 years before i sold it to a collector:( i've heard every story, every joke possible, so don't even bother:rolleyes:. made it all through college, several party's, band gigs, raves, 4 times to daytona beach and several other college road trips. several times back and forth to chicago. put about 140,000 miles on it. i did pull the 500 bb out to freshen it up at 100,000. but it didn't need much. kept it all original except for the dual exhaust and the sound system i installed. remember the clear "UE" subs? i built a mild box and installed behind the seat. also spent countless nights sleeping in it. and i do have some great story's with that! the carpet in the rear was pretty cut up when i got it. so i installed some of the carpet that was removed from my room in the house i grew up in and thats the carpet in the pic. these pics where right before i sold it. other than removing the subs, amps, and the nin sticker and the "fear this" sticker from the rear door, thats how it looked when the guy came and picked it up

Man, I've been DYING to ride in one of those!!!!!:biggrin:

Seriously, now, that's a really cool car! I just love it. It would make a great "band" wagon. I tried to get one while I was still high school to transport my rock band I was in around the area,only the guys in the group were "afraid" of one. Doesn't that beat all?

A local band called the "Crypt Kickers" from around here in the 60'S had two silver hearses as their band wagon. Man, I thought that was the neatest thing.

Nice car!! I really like it.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Graduated in '97. Bought a '85 TType. I didn't know there were hot airs and ic TR's. Had fun with it. Drove it through college. Put in a '87 engine in '99 on a shoe string budget. I put over 700 quarter mile passes on that poor car lol. Started out running 17's...got it down to 11.1 eventually.