Your First car you bought out of High School

'85 Ford E-150 w/ a 300. Bought it for $2,500 and it supposedly had 75k on it (the frame and underbody said differently), with a 5-digit odometer.... The title and carfax report were a little fishy but I went with it anyways, because well, it was my first car and didn't know any better:p Raised roof, back windows, interior, everything was done by the previous owner... Ford Chrome Yellow and the rest only looks purple in pictures, supposed to be brown. Sold it a couple years later after I realized how bad the gas mileage was..

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

I guess you had no trouble finding that in the mall parking lot!

Those vans turned to rust in my area rather quickly.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

First car was a 68 chevy belair wagon. 75 Bucks. this was in 80, i had just dropped out of college to grade to tech school and needed wheels. 307 Powerglide, it was actually a great running car. After it bit the dust a year or so later and I actually had an income, I found a 73 pontiac grand am 4 speed car. I didn't know anything about them, but it was a 4 speed and it was 800 bucks and it ran. After i had it for about five minutes, I found out how rare they were. I really loved that car,it was fun to drive and was comfy. After it was wrecked, I parked it and then lost my storage. ended up scrapped. Much later I bought another GA 4 speed which I still have. There were very few of these made but stillaren't high dollar cars. I remember when I was looking at cars in 83 and the buick dealer had a 2 tone regal that he was trying to sell me. It was a grand national. I liked it, but thought it was too expensive at 2800 bucks. I bought my 84 gn in 1989 for 2500, it is bone stock and has not moved since 1993.
I sure rmember the days of cheap muscle. I had a 67 GTX 440 offered to me for 500, I also passed on a pair of 70 chargers for 1000 one was an RT. There were many, many more, but I had no place to store them, and couldn't afford the gas to run them, so someone else got them.

On Mopars....back in the "heyday" following that mid 1970 gas crisis I bought several nice Mopars. The 1967 GTX was my favorite...I had a total of 4 of them....3 where 440 powered one was the Hemi...greaty styling last year for small body and of course was like the upscale Limited is to the regal.

Too bad most of us could not see the future ahead.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I graduated H.S. in 1981 and had a 1977 Regal as my first car. I wanted something small and sporty like an MGB or Triumph Spitfire but my parents thought a young driver should have lots of metal surrounding them.

I got this car from a local repair shop for $1200. It had been hit in the front and fixed. I added the 15 x 7 Buick Rallys and dual exhaust along with a rear swaybar out of a junkyard Grand Prix.

The picture was taken at Seaside Heights during the Summer of 1982.

Your parents were rite! In the 1970s and 1980s I towed for a British car dealership....Jaguars were the high dollar loser, and the tr3s and spitfires where close behind....I remember in particular hand pushing a spitfire out of a parking space to get the truck in front of it. I was pulling on the steering wheel which had three spokes to the round portion of the wheel....guess what I broke the one spoke off the one end of the steering wheel! I was stunned....not to mention I had to pay for it....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

84 chrysler laser turbo..I was 16 got it for $50 bucks and drove it home..cause the guy who owned it lived in my grannys basement and died of pneumonia...His brother wanted the car but couldnt get it to run...He was out in the snow for 3 hours and finally decided to let me have the car he just wanted the $50 he spent on the new battery back..I was trying not to laugh when he handed me the title..After he left i removed the battery cables took the plastic covers off of the battery posts reinstalled the cables started it up and drove it home!!!! :biggrin:

This story reminds me of a similar bit of luck I had with a car. Back when we ran a towing business we towed for various apartment complex owners. If a car was not licensed or inspected we would post a notice 30 days it had to be off the property..

This one car was a 1964 Volvo sedan nice car 4 speed. Th owner wanted to sell it to me. He thought the trans was bad because it would not go into gear. I thought so to, as I was not familar with Volvos other than the fact in an accident they are one of the safest cars on the road.

I bought the car for $35 turns out the clutch worked on a slave cylinder principle similar to Corvettes today and other manual shift cars....it was simply empty....

Had it filled and the trans worked perfectly...had my buddy paint it and my wife drove the car for several years when we were first married.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I know I answered this before in one of your other threads Dennis but what the heck.:smile:

My first car was one of those very underpowered Vegas. I paid $1000 for it in 81 as a junior in high school. A 76 model that was painted orange from the factory. Talk about a date killer. We used to joke about it because "dad" could see it a mile away. I wanted more power so I bought a "parts" car. A 76 Skyhawk with a 231 in it. Needless to say the Skyhawk was the one that I kept and turned it into a monster of sorts. Used to take titles off kids that had just gotten their graduation present of a new Camaro or Mustang.:biggrin:

I still have her but she's gonna need a tube chasis to make it drivable now.:frown: I bent the chasis doing auto cross and street racing.:mad:

I got out in 1986. I wanted an '86 T-Type so bad, but that was out of the question at the time.

scan0004.jpg

This was the first car after High School when I had procured gainful employment. 1984 T-Type. burgundy with a burgundy gut. nice for what it was.

Enginerebuild1986crop.jpg

I was driving a 1970 GS455 but thought I needed something newer and that got better mileage. I am here putting an engine together and back into it in '86.

I didn't even have the '84 paid for and traded it in for my WE4(didn't know what a WE4 was at the time) as I had gotten a raise at the job. First new car. When I would go to the track and compare cars, the other t cars had hood ornaments, chrome bumpers and REGAL on the back quarters and mine didn't.

SCAN0168.jpg

Snow12post.jpg

It has sat out,

PICT000162post.jpg

It has been in the garage, and

IMAG0565.jpg

we picked it up from a friend of mine's pasture and put it back in the garage

and I have it running again and am hoping to drive it in the very near future.

As has been said, the older you get the faster it goes and the more everything seems to cost. Crazy.
And I carry two spares for a reason. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
DSCN2102.jpg

1978 Pontiac Firebird, that i cloned into a trans am with all the 4.9 liter decals but was packing a built SBC and hustling street races with it. Mines the one with black primer

Attachments

• 31813_1133530556611_1777732726_247735_4780596_n.jpg
    31813_1133530556611_1777732726_247735_4780596_n.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 277
  • 31813_1133530596612_1777732726_247736_816937_n.jpg
    31813_1133530596612_1777732726_247736_816937_n.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 271
The buildings in the background look really familiar Rich. Is that in Fort Worth?

The first pic is at my first apartment. It is at cooper and pioneer in Arlington just north of the shopping center there on the northwest corner.

Lookin' good PaCemkr86. I imagine that car would shag knowing what you can do.

lol, thanks..
that pic was taken in 1992 , i was 17 and my girlfriend "now wife" was 19.
It held its own and was known for smokin down lots of 5.0 mustangs..

Got my license in '71 on Mom's 1969 Dodge Super Bee. Bought a '62 Pontiac Bonneville for 100 bucks for my first summer of driving.When I graduated high school my next car was my first real car, a 1969 Camaro with 30k miles for 1600 bucks.

On Mopars....back in the "heyday" following that mid 1970 gas crisis I bought several nice Mopars. The 1967 GTX was my favorite...I had a total of 4 of them....3 where 440 powered one was the Hemi...greaty styling last year for small body and of course was like the upscale Limited is to the regal.

Too bad most of us could not see the future ahead.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

you sure got that right. I saw it and either didn't have the money or didn't have the storage. Then I got married! lol The GTX was actually my brothers car and had run low-mid 11's at norwalk back in the day. Nothing to sneeze at back then. That was the first car that i ever ripped into (with his help) and rebuilt. He ended up trading it in on a Volare wagon. There were 10 guys bidding for the GTX when he was leaving. that was when he realized that he should have kept it. He had pulled the engine and put a 413 in it by then. He had that engine up until about ten yrs ago, when his son sold the car it was in. It wasn't funny back then, but it kinda is now that he is no longer with us.(brother)

Thanks for these fun threads Dennis. Bringing back lots of memories.
Brian

1971 Chevelle, bought it for $2500 at a classic car lot back in 2004. I'd been out of high school for several years at the time.

The story goes...the car belonged to the lot owner's friend....said freind I guess needed the cash bad...so the lot owner said he gave him $3500 for the car....the car had a new cranberry red paint job on it, but the interior was trashed, the engine was tired, the suspension was shot.

Lot owner decided to liquidate his inventory...he was trying to get $3k for the car, but I got him down to $2500. He towed it to my house. Then I built a new big block Chevy engine for it, redid the interior and suspension, put the car back together. Drove it for a little while, then sold it when I got orders to PCS (military move) from NC to MO as Uncle Sam wasn't paying to have it moved + we sorta needed the cash at the time. Lost 1/4 of what I had total invested in the car but did learn alot from it. I've got pics of it posted here on TB somewhere.

first car was 1980 regal turbo. bought for $1000. had it less than a year before they stole it.
20years later I finally have a replacement

Attachments

• 80turbo2.JPG
    80turbo2.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 272
  • regal1.jpg
    regal1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 274
first car was 1980 regal turbo. bought for $1000. had it less than a year before they stole it.
20years later I finally have a replacement

Man, I gotta say, that is SHARP!. I still wonder what gm was thinking with the fillers. Looking good.

1st car bought after high school was a 1969 GTO hardtop (Was my 4th car by then lol) in Cameo White with blue vinyl top.
I didn't want to drive the GTO in a Chicago winter so I bought a 79 Cutlass to drive as my "winter beater". I didn't want to drive the GTO in the winter so bad that one day when it snowed and my Cutlass didn't start, I rode my motorcycle :eek: to work with snow on the ground....lol. I ended up making it to work and back in one piece but I fixed the cutlass that day so I wouldn't have to do that ever again.

Grad in '92, first car I bought out of there was a 84 Olds Cutlass supreme... swapped the v6 for an olds 350.

Man did I ever think it was fast:rolleyes::p:p LOL.

The 80's Cutlass will always be my favorite car.... I'll just have to put Buick engines in them like I've done the last two.. LOL.

first car

my first car was a 67 GS 340 platnum mist blk top red stripes,rims and scoops.second was a GS 400 gold blk top.third was a 70 stage 1 that im still kicking myself in the ass for selling. now have 87 GN tt with 18,000 miles on it and love it just have to learn more about it. could big blocks with my eyes close. had stage running 12.80's @ 104

I guess technically the first car was my Turbo Regal which I bought in 1992 and still have today.
Before that had a couple of S-10 / S-15 trucks, a 1984 and a new 1989. In high school I had a 77 Chevy Malibu, class of 81.