WRECKED GNX

The damage is crazy similar. Is it confirmed the same VIN? You think someone converted a wrecked car into a wrecked GNX clone????

If someone did do that they went through ALOT of trouble getting very costly GNX items. It would be nice for someone to be able to physically inspect the car.

In going to try and make it up to see it
No matter what if it's a real Gnx with a salvage title what's it worth
And if is a Gnx with a Gn vin again what's it worth
Either way it's a dirty car
Good for someone who want. A Gnx at a discount

That car looks like a wrecked show car. It has everything GNX on it that I can see, turbo cover, both relocation relay brackets, flares, vents, correct wheels and look at how new those Gatorback VR50 tires are. Its definitely worth fixing. That paint is like a mirror. If it was that car from 2010, then someone spent a lot of time and money in it. Looks like they drove it a couple thousand miles. Crazy how it can get wrecked in the same spot twice. Possibly someone did a VIN swap and it's a real GNX why would they they go through all that trouble to cut the wheel well on a clone?? no need to.??? the damage though similar is totally different.

The gatorbacks are the key. NO ONE puts gatorbacks on a clone. I actually bought the kit to cut the inner fender for my vents to function. I don't have a clone, just a GN with the vents as I like them and now I want them to function.

The gatorbacks are the key. NO ONE puts gatorbacks on a clone. I actually bought the kit to cut the inner fender for my vents to function. I don't have a clone, just a GN with the vents as I like them and now I want them to function.

I meant cut on the fender wells as they do under the flares on a GNX for tire clearance.!!! as you can see in the two different rear quarter pic's.

I had Gatorbacks on my clone until someone made me an offer on them I couldn't refuse. Then I decloned it some.

Car fax

Detailed History

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
06/26/1991 97,500 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Putnam Valley, NY Title issued or updated
Loan or lien reported
03/19/2003 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Montgomery, NY Title issued or updated
New owner reported
05/19/2003 113,095 Colandrea Buick-Pontiac-GMC, Inc
Newburgh, NY
845-565-5800
colandreapontiacbuic
k.com Brakes checked
04/15/2005 13,465 New York
Inspection Station Emissions inspection performed
Passed safety inspection
POTENTIAL ODOMETER ROLLOVER
View what was inspected

FYI, this vehicle has a 5-digit odometer so it probably reset to zero when mileage exceeded 99,999. Any reported mileage since then is potentially unreliable.
06/13/2006 14,897 New York
Passed safety inspection
View what was inspected
02/20/2007 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Newburgh, NY Title issued or updated
03/31/2009 15,573 New York
Passed safety inspection
View what was inspected
04/02/2010 15,672 New York
Passed safety inspection
View what was inspected
07/01/2010 New York
Damage Report Accident reported
Involving right front impact
Involving left rear impact
With another motor vehicle
Vehicle towed
08/17/2010 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept. SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

Oh my how I hate carfax!! I see the same thing happened to this car that happened to mine. the dreaded potential odometer tampering issue. one inspection with 113K+ then the next with 13K+. All because of the inspector mis reading the odometer and not inquiring from the owner. I missed it during my smog inspections way back in CA, and now the carfax shows possible tampering. WTF. And of course they wont change it without complete documentation to the contrary. Ya right, who saves all their smog inspection receipts?

I meant cut on the fender wells as they do under the flares on a GNX for tire clearance.!!! as you can see in the two different rear quarter pic's.
The fender wells are cut on a GNX? I thought the flares were just screw on for looks. I have a set I haven't installed.

Yep. The fan relays are relocated, holes are cut and an interior trim piece is put in place.

Oh my how I hate carfax!! I see the same thing happened to this car that happened to mine. the dreaded potential odometer tampering issue. one inspection with 113K+ then the next with 13K+. All because of the inspector mis reading the odometer and not inquiring from the owner. I missed it during my smog inspections way back in CA, and now the carfax shows possible tampering. WTF. And of course they wont change it without complete documentation to the contrary. Ya right, who saves all their smog inspection receipts?

Same exact thing with my car. When it went in one year for emissions, they didn't copy the mileage correctly and now it says possible odometer tampering...such idiots

You're right. I had vents on the brain. :confused:

The wheel wells were cut and clearanced. I believe there are photos showing this process in one of the Steven Dove TR books.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I'd much rather do that then notch my frame. I'll have to research that.

Fella's, I have been following the turbo website for awhile now and came across this thread days ago. I was coming up north stopping in Manheim auto auction to pick up a load going back home and figured I can take some time to look at this car in Newburgh since its only 1 minutes from my stop. After over an hour to get in, and I had to pay 20.00 visitor pass. They walked me to the car, it was in a fenced in area. this yard has what appears to be 1,000's of insurance cars for auction. The car had a dead battery, so the worker jumped it with a booster box and she started right up. Ran good, had it running for a couple of minutes. I am no expert in GNX but know some stuff from these forums. The car had deep black paint, drivrs side quarter needs to be replaced, rear filler panel is good. door has a big dent but fixable. the front nose is excellent except for a very small dent on the right side fender very low. the wheels and tires look new. the car was taken care of. someone swapped out the factory radio and threw in a horrible looking one that is not hooked up. the guy in the yard said jokingly that it was probabley the tow guy or bodyshop. I took offense, since I am a transporter that would never steal anything from a car. Now for the gnx stuff that I saw, a asc sticker in the door, asc sticker on the emmissions lablel. gnx turbo cover, gnx sticker on the lower radiator or cooler, emblems front and back, under the car looks ok, but dirty since the yard is like a junk yard with mud, gnx on the rear end cover. exhaust looks nice and silver. it has 6 gauges in the dash with a 8000 tach. it looks like someone pulled off the number plate above the glove box because you can not read the number, just gnx. The car looks like an easy fix for a bodyshop not a joe home mechanic. they said no title, it has insurane company salvage papers that you turn into dmv for a title. I don't know the value as it sits, so don't ask. just looks like it was a nice looking car before the accident.
I wanted to take some pictures of the car to share here but the yard worker said cameras are not allowed in the yard.

Last edited:
As stated by GNX 120.....VIN swap and it's a real GNX....that someone lost.:cautious:

So someone stole a GNX and then put a GN vin on it to make it legal. I guess that would explain why the number was removed. How many GNX have been stolen and never recovered?

Earlier in this thread the vin is shown to belong to a wrecked GN..... This would be a pretty easy investigation for the police.... The auction from that past vin would keep buyer records. Someone bought a salvage GN, then "acquired" a gnx .... Then presented it at an inspection as the repaired car.... Voila, new rebuilt title on a stolen car...... At least that's my theory