where's the best place to get carpet?

Eric Stauch

Nasty87
looking in to getting new carpet for my 87 GN, anyplace got nice quality reproduction carpet? Thanks. Eric.

I just installed the Premium carpet in my Buick. There was a lot of cutting. After trimming is done it fits pretty nice. Once the seats and center console are in place. Carpet looks great I would recommend. Make sure you have a lot of blades for your utility knife.

I wouldn't do it like that. I would just set the carpet in the car and trim as little as possible at a time. The last thing that you would want to do is to find a home carpet layer and get him to put a patch in with his heat thingy because you cut the hole for the console rear mount in the wrong location. We will just say that my budddy put the old carpet on the bottom and new carpet on top and his beginning reference point was the area at the firewall. He slid his carpet forward to match it. If you look in his car now you wouldn't notice it but the little bit of carpet that sits under the back seat keeps getting pulled out if someone sits in the back seat. Trim as little as possible at a time.

Probably not the warmest time of the yr to do this, but laying it out in the sun will help get the fold wrinkles out, and make it easier to install.
1 place I've found that CAN cause a headache, is the sill plate area. I always do that last, and after I re-install the seats, etc. This pushes the carpet as far away from the sills as possible. Then trim. Like many other things in life, being an inch short doesn't "git'r done"!;)

In the FWIW dept: Last GN carpet I got from ACC turned green!:mad:
When I complained, I was told the govt controls the chemicals in the dyes...we can't help you.

Is there any quality carpet out there for a Limited T? For some reason, the carpet on a Limited seems 'plusher' than the replacement carpet and mats available. The ACC carpet doesnt look like it would match the lower door panels on a Limited T.

Ive got some NOS carpets but they are the early style and the wear pad in the drivers foot area is different. They are the correct fitting ones with the jute backing. The holes for the seats are already cut. You need to cut out the center for a GN. These will fit perfectly in metric g bodies

Probably not the warmest time of the yr to do this, but laying it out in the sun will help get the fold wrinkles out, and make it easier to install.
1 place I've found that CAN cause a headache, is the sill plate area. I always do that last, and after I re-install the seats, etc. This pushes the carpet as far away from the sills as possible. Then trim. Like many other things in life, being an inch short doesn't "git'r done"!;)

In the FWIW dept: Last GN carpet I got from ACC turned green!:mad:
When I complained, I was told the govt controls the chemicals in the dyes...we can't help you.
I bought ACC carpet for my WH1 ( grey ) and it turned green also. Factory carpet on bottom of door panels still looks perfect. I bought my car new. It did not sit in the sun. Everybody sells ACC carpet. I found a site Varkmotors.com I think I am going to try theirs. They got the emboidery for the mats too.

[quote="LIVE4RDO,ACC - Auto Custom Carpets[/quote]

People are saying the ACC carpets turned green!

Got mine at nos4gn or http://www.nos4gn.com/servlet/the-418/Buick-Grand-National-parts/Detail
When I first received this carpet, I removed it from package box and unfold it and place the original carpet on top, as well as the sun heated the carpet to make it more flexible to work with. Take your time, measure twice before cutting, and before laying back into car you can see the condition of the floor board and make any repairs if any, and if none then spray some paint sealer to prevent future rust.
I lighten the flash so you can see how the carpet replacement lays on the floor board curves:

Attachments

• 87 GN 036.jpg
    87 GN 036.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 144
  • 87 GN 037.jpg
    87 GN 037.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
  • 87 GN 044.jpg
    87 GN 044.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 151
  • 87 GN 050.jpg
    87 GN 050.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 151
  • 87 GN 052.jpg
    87 GN 052.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 160
  • 87 GN 054.jpg
    87 GN 054.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 154
[quote="LIVE4RDO,ACC - Auto Custom Carpets

People are saying the ACC carpets turned green![/quote]

I was just answering a question of what is ACC.

I'm not happy about that news, either. Was just about to order one from them.

I've been looking for carpet too. Checking three TB sponsors and they all carry ACC carpet. Not sure what to do now.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Is there any quality carpet out there for a Limited T? For some reason, the carpet on a Limited seems 'plusher' than the replacement carpet and mats available. The ACC carpet doesnt look like it would match the lower door panels on a Limited T.
letr's get the record straight on carpet and ACC. i am V.P. of sales, been in carpet business since the 80's. 5 years ago, we had an issue with green dye migrating out of gray carpet. four things can be the cause. high heat during the molding process can cause the green pigment migrate to the surface of the fibers. second can be chlorides in salt or cleaners to bleach out the various blended colors in the dye mix. third is UV sun rays. the fourth can be a poor dye mix that doesn't permiate the yarn during the dye process. this turned out to be the biggest culprit back then. we buy our carpet from dorsett carpet in dalton, ga. we have bought from them for almost 6 years. i am on the front line with customer complaints of any kind. we guarantee our carpets for any quality issue for 12 months. full replacement. have never heard the government involvement story before, that's a first. all our carpet is 100% nylon. UV rays will degrade any nylon carpet, rot it out, bleach it white. i have factory carpet pieces showing this stored in my office. i don't know what the mfg date was on the green carpet, so i'm not able to help on that one. anyone who wants to chat on this can call me through the office @ 8006332358. as for heavy carpet we have a line that is twice the wt of our normal carpet. sadly, it has a dozen colors and none match well with your cars. hope this helps

Anywhere I can see the heavy carpet .vs standard in black? And do you sell direct to the end consumer?

V.P. of sales for who?

A google search of the phone number makes it look like here..... http://www.accmats.com where you can buy ACC Grand National carpet for $236.81 plus shipping.....

.....which looks a lot like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/400325150638 for $100 cheaper with free shipping.

I almost pulled the trigger on that carpet kit a couple weeks ago but the rainy weather and below freezing temps put me off. At that time I didn't know there was a problem with the color. I'll take faded black for free over green any day.