Whats the most memorable comment about your TR...

My Mom and Dad called me the other night and said in a very frantic and excited voice," Your car is on TV, hurry and put it on this channel...
I ran got the remote and tuned in, I saw the nicest all black Chevy Monte Carlo SS:mad::mad: Sometimes even the loved ones screw it up!:)

At a local car meet with a couple buddies. We were just about the only muscle cars there...import infested!!! Anyways after I park and get off my STOCK HOTAIR GN:eek: A guy approaches me and says "I'll race you for pinks" I reply back "Well what are you in?" He points to a bike on the back of some truck...didnt look stock at all! I give em a smurk and think to myself..this guy cant be serious! It was talk of the night and had us laughing the whole time!:biggrin: It did make me feel cool:cool: because he knew Grand Nationals were a pretty big deal! Just not my slow hotair!:smile:

Why in creation would anyone bring a HOT AIR to a muscle car show?????:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

sorry I just couldn't let that one go

At Molly's services

Herb Fishel former GM motorsports director, and push behind building the Grand National. was looking at my GNX, turned to me and said "very nice, very fitting for this occasion". then asked did you drive it here? Yes, I replied,
he raised his eyebrows, said " very very nice"!

What I get about 99% of the time is:''Take the turbo off and lets see how fast it is'' or If i had a turbo on my car it would be faster''.One guy tells me once that he had a 4 barrel carb so he could imagine how fast my car is.

My most memorable was one of those simultaneous epiphany/DUH moments.

I'm @ the gas station in my 83T recently after racing(beating) a SHO from town-to-town with the tops out. At speed I'd snapped the windshield from the base of each A-pillar to the top center. Guy walks by and does the look-over. Then says, "Wow, you've sure got some hidden rust in that T-Bar, huh? I was clueless until that moment, thinking it was a design flaw of what was an otherwise totally solid car!

I always avoid any eye contact at filling stations, you never know what kind of "experts" you're gonna run into. :eek::p

Last year I cruise into a Sunoco in Wallingford, CT and just get the door shut on salvageV6 and was making sure nothing fell off when closing it, and this guy runs over and says, " Nice car, does the Turbo still work on it?" :eek:

I was speechless and did my best WTF face and said yeah it does, and pumped my gas shaking my head. :confused:

I can almost understand the nice car I guess that was for what it once was :biggrin: but does the turbo still work? :confused:

It was running when I drove into the gas station. :wink:

I also like how some people don't believe you fill up the car from the back, I wonder what they'd do if they saw a '56 Chevy fill up. :biggrin:

Maybe these comments come from former owner's of other brand turbo cars? I know I walked away from a couple MoPar products back in the day before I knew about the wastegate problem, and that I could get em ultra cheap once I'd pointed out the defect to a sales-crew with NO clue what to do about the unspecified problem that made them dogs!:D;)

After reading these stories all day, I'm driving my GN around when I see a car show here in town I haven't seen before. I've only had this car a few months and have only met one TR owner in the area. As I'm driving by the show I see a GN being shown. I pull in the lot and park in the back. I want to go meet the guy who owns the GN. As I walk up to the car I see an older gentleman sitting in alawn chair behind the car. I walk up to introduce myself and I couldn't help it I said, "That is one badass Monte Carlo". He looks at me like I just slapped his momma and says, "Its a Grand National!" I say, "I know, just wanted to give you some sheet, mines sitting over there". He says with a grin to his buddy, "I get this from all the GN guys. Their all comedians".

I had a guy offer me $10.00 not to do a burnout contest lol He said it was too nice. It took me a while to clean off the rubber but no harm done.

I took a family member for a drive in my Grey T and launched from the brake, I think the comment was "holy $hit this thing makes allot of power...you really do not steer this car just aim it and hold on"...

A guy with a fairly nice Camaro next to me at a car show comes over and asks me "why do I have Jiffy lube insignias on my headrests?" :rolleyes: Before I can even answer, he asks "is this Monte Carlo a promo car for Jiffy Lube?" :confused: I just shook my head and took the time to explain the nature of the beast.

A guy with a fairly nice Camaro next to me at a car show comes over and asks me "why do I have Jiffy lube insignias on my headrests?" :rolleyes: Before I can even answer, he asks "is this Monte Carlo a promo car for Jiffy Lube?" :confused: I just shook my head and took the time to explain the nature of the beast.

What a F-ing tool. :mad:

I do believe I woulda asked this moron if his trailerpark Ferrari came with the Whitesnake cassette tape, jean jacket, acid washed Levis, & Aviator sunglasses or did he buy them at a garagesale.

Once again..... what a douche.

I just read these all over again.
They made me smile.
Lets get some new ones from this summer!

D

Well the fact that most around here are dirt track guys and the car is still under construction...

"That would make a great track car, I'll help ya smash the windows out if ya want.":eek:

or...

"When ya gonna cut the fenders out, you'll get bigger tires under it and give you more traction.":rolleyes:

or;;;

"I'll give you $100 and put your name on it so you get the credit when I win.":tongue:

or...

"I need some parts for my car. It got hit and the parts I need shouldn't cost more than $50. I'll even cut them off myself.":biggrin:

And you guys thought you got stupid comments.:rolleyes:

My favorite comment was made be me.

In October of 1986 I was DETERMINED to find and purchase a new GN and after a painfully long search, I had finally located a new one in Palm Springs, CA. There was no internet back in those days, and you either had to know someone at a dealer or spend a stupid amount of time on the phone calling around long distance.

I was on my way out to Palm Springs from Phoenix and just before I left, a sales guy from a dealer in Indio, CA called me and asked me to come by and look at a car he had.

"It's exactly like a Grand National, engine, hood bump, everything.....and it's $5000 less than the one in Palm Springs, I promise......Ya gotta come see this car!!" this guy on the other end of the phone tells me.

Well I had to go through Indio anyway so I tell the guy "I'll come by and see you, Why is this GN so cheap?"

He says "you just have to see it."

So I show up and this salesman is all excited as walks me out back telling me what a cool car this is and all and then.......there it was...... this plain, ordinary, white bread little Regal. Bench seat, column shifter, ugly assed American Turbo lookin' wheels......but it did have a bump on the hood with the 3.8 Liter SFI badge.

He say's "This is "just like" a Grand National and I'll sell it to you for $11,500".

I just looked at this guy.......you could hear the crickets chirping.

So I look at the salesman. wrinkle up my nose and said (here it is) "YOU DON"T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND, THIS CAR IS A GRAMPA CAR, I WANT A GRAND NATIONAL!" and I proceeded to drive to Palm Srings and pay $18000 for MY GRAND NATIONAL.

I was soon to meet a fellow who had what he called a "Turbo Regal" and I was quick to learn just what they were.......

Over the years I have told this story to many, many people and joked about how I , maybe, shoulda bought the car in Indio.... NAW, I did the right thing, I got what I wanted....

Fast forward to 1996, I'm married, have an infant son, and a LOT more money wrapped up in the car.

I'm getting ready for work and my wife walks into the bedroom with this awful look on her face.

I thought somebody in the family had taken seriously ill or passed away or something.

She said "The GN is gone."

And it was, it was never recovered, in fact, the cops never even found a trace of it.

That was a sad day.

Fast forward to 2011, I'm no longer married, My son is soon to be 17 and I'm looking at craigslist, sort of dreaming......

What's this? There's an ad that says "GN for sale in Orange County".

I check it out, some guy named Lou has not a GN, but a really pretty little White TR for sale.

I call my boss (who is the guy with the Turbo Regal I had met all those years back) and said "check it out, this looks just like the car I took a pass on way back in the day".....

So I call this guy, Lou and arrange to go out and look at the car.

I tell him the storied story of the little white car from Indio.

Well, I eventually bought the car from this Lou guy, and this Lou guy turns out to be Lou Czarnota, Turbolou.

And Lou builds Buicks, you know.....and I had a plan.

:D:D:D

And the car, well..... GM archives tell me that this car was first shipped to a dealer group in San Jose, CA and then to, .....you guessed it ....Indio, CA for sale.

Could it be?????

Yes it is, only WAAAY better, because Lou builds Buicks, you know.:cool:

i phone pics 1 023.jpg

And I'm living happily ever after......

The End

I just read these all over again.
They made me smile.
Lets get some new ones from this summer!

D

Me too... :)

I guess I'll start as I had not seen this before... I have a few.

1) Went to a paint shop to get an estimate- just a year or so ago... High end shop. I expect they'll know about cars. Tells me about the brother in law's twin turbo gnx--Mind you I've owned TR's for a while and have never heard this nonsense uttered except in "stories"-- thought it was an urban legend... apparently the elusive tt gnx still lives...

2.) I called some shop in CA for a friend about doing some frame off body work on a Grand National. The guy on the line asks me "what kind of SUV is that, never heard of it"- I was literally speechless. Needless to say they didn't touch any TR.

3.) Not a comment but more of actions... Went to a cruise night. This evening was dedicated to Mustangs... (my arch nemesis) LOL--- I park and hang out a while and when it's time to leave I manage to line up against no less than three stangs at three lights. Each one of them apparently couldn't find the right radio station or were busy adjusting their side mirrors... No one looked over, no one dared to even try.... No fun. ;) Also had a similar response from a new SS Camaro. He wouldn't even pull up next to me at the light and stayed by my quarter at the light. Even my wife was embarrassed for him.... LOL

Finally, one of my favorites...
4.) Back when I was stationed in TX I was headed back to FL to drop my 86 ttype off at home since I would be deploying soon... I'm cruising along the highway ( fast lane) through Austin... A pair of headlights is riding my tail and my windows are blacked out so I can't see the car; Only knew he wanted to go fast. SO, I drop the hammer and disappear. I'm cruising along again and see the same headlights growing in my mirror again. I wait for it and drop the hammer again and leave him like a spec in the distance... Once again the lights are closing in and then they do a lane change into the slow lane and get next to me... A spotlight comes on and the police officers motion for me to roll the window down... (I'm figuring I'll be in jail for a while)... They're both grinning and motion for me to slow it down and wave me off... :cool:

Just got back from the store with this one:

"It sure doesn't SOUND like a Buick"......

Him: "That car is quick. What does it run?
Me: "Only 10.60. Its my slow one"
Him: A stupid confused daze after he just got his ass handed to him and me telling him 10.60 is slow.

Romping around with my dump pipe off, and i pick up a couple of my bros friends. After driving around for a while, the one guy tells me: "This is probably the most terrifying car I've ever rode in"

I have comment of my own

"I wish my fast one went 10.60"

D

Him: "That car is quick. What does it run?
Me: "Only 10.60. Its my slow one"
Him: A stupid confused daze after he just got his ass handed to him and me telling him 10.60 is slow.

A few I can think of off hand....

1. (a former co worker) "That's your white Monte Carlo out there in the parking lot, right?"

2. (two ghetto girls walking by my house with T in the drive) "Yo dat dude gawt ah Cutty"...or something like it.

3. (A guy in the parking lot 2 days ago) Is that a GN? (my car is white T with the chrome package)

4. (taking a former co worker for a ride at full boost) "Hahaha oh my god! I gotta get one of these!!!!"

5. Once was selling something on Craigslist, the buyer comes to my house, and only gets a glimpse of the tail lights of the car as it was in the garage, but says to his buddies "Man that's a bad ass car right there in the garage".

Recently at a cruise night, two fat "Harley" guys, walked by my car and pointed to the turbo and I overheard one say "it's a turbo diesel".