Whats the most memorable comment about your TR...

Fakeyankee

Back in Black
That you have had ??? What were you doing at the time, and the situation that led up to the comment. Mine was at a cruise night and a little boy of 10 or 12 walked up and said I had the coolest car there. There were about 40 to 60 cars there and some really nice custom rods showing. I was flattered that a kid would choose my basically daily driver, thats about a 7 out of 10 in appearance, over all the garage queens that were there. Guess it kinda made my day...even if it was from a youngster !!!! Let me hear some of your comments youve had !!!!

Hmm, let me think...

"Where's the other turbo? They went to twin turbos in '85, right?"

"Nice car, dude. My dad bought one new in '87 with a Five-Speed. They were really rare."

"You bolted the turbo kit on, right? GM never put turbos on anything in the Eighties."

"Bitchin' ride, man. My brother had one that he special ordered with the turbocharged V-8 in '88."

"Didn't they quit making these because the frames were breaking?"

...and my all-time favorite...

"Is this a real SS?"

No joke...

Had the car loaded on the trailer heading down to E-town. Pulled into a deli to pick up a sandwich. While I'm waiting for my sandwich, this dirt bag comes walking in. He yells in the deli "who's car is that on the trailer" I would have never answered him but I thought I was blocking someone, I reply "It's mine" Dirt bag says "cool Monte" I reply in front of every one "learn your cars before you speak" and I walked out. While walking out, I looked at him and he had the stare of a deer with headlights.

Next comment by a New Jersey State Trooper

Jump on the GSP, pay the toll and a NJ troop car starts to follow my. I easied out of the toll plaza, too. He began to follow me and keep changing lanes until he went checked out all sides of the car. He then pulled me over after 6 miles. Gave him my paper work and goes back to his car, never gives me a reason why I got stopped. He returns back with my paperwork and says " I saw you when you paid the toll and ran your plate and it came back to an '87 Regal. Your car is too clean to be an '87. What do you wax it and put it away in the garage?"

I told him "Yes, I do and I even cover it while its in the garage. It also has 8K on the odometer."

He says "Wow, I'm sorry for the inconvience and you will not have anymore problems while your driving down the GSP"

Final story

My gf knows about GNs from me and I told (trained) her to never ever confuse a Monte with a GN, the owner of a GN will get pissed off at you. Well, every black Monte she sees, she says "Look a Grand National" Well, my hand has a bad spasm :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D when I look at a Monte :eek:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

"Turn off the bottle!"
"what is in that thing? It sounds WEIRD"
"Why do you have slicks on a 6 cylinder?"

At a street meet "race that thing? why? it don't sound fast"
At a street meet "race that thing? Nah, It's a GN"
At the track, voice on the video "THAT'S a burnout"
"is that a REAL GN?"

At the local cruise in spot with lots of nice high dollar cars an older gentelman stated to a few of his buddies that "this is probably the fastest car here". :D
(probably not, but close!)

My wife absolutely hates my 87 GN. All the way from the looks to the exhaust drone while cruising. The constant comments like "I don't know why you like this car so much".

Then, we go have breakfast on Sunday morning (s) and we take the Buick. The looks, the stares, people rolling down the windows at intersections to tell you "nice car", and the people standing in line to get a table at the restaurant saying "I wonder who's GN that is out there. Sure is nice and those are fast". And so on and so on.

Hearing this, she just looks at me and gives me that look that uninterested woman give. I look at her and say " it must just be you that doesn't understand".

Thanks for the replys guys !! Keep em coming please !!

justabuickv6, I,m sure glad my wife enjoys my car. maybe your wife really likes the car but is jealous of all the attention you get from it ?? Hopefully she will change her mind someday. Guess I must be lucky !

After a few passes at 120MPH...a few people are looking over the car/engine.

The guy pitted next to me says..."You drove that car here didn't you?"

"Yes" I said, "about 35 miles."

He says...."That's bull****. You drive here with AC on, getting 20MPG, and run 120MPH...that's just not right!!"

I responded: "I usually get about 22MPG!!"

Bob

I will let you know if i ever get a good complement about one of my cars, seems that the general public doesnt like a puffy interior or a column shift!

Guess it has to have a ratchet shifter and loud exhaust to attract the attention of people that give out nice comments, guess i will stick with the quiet sleeper look, nobody will notice it driving down the road....

BW

This happened the other day. Guy walks by my car while I'm walking out to it. "Is that a T-type?" I of course say "yes." He comes back with "you're a lucky man. You're a lucky man."

He was right.

I was pulled over by a member of the Ohio State Highway Patrol on Rt 6 going to Norwalk for a Buick T&T session on a hot late spring day. I watched him walk up to my window with his overheads flashing and stobing, his head moving from the front to the back of my GN. Although I couldn't see his eyes due to the mirrored sunglasses, I knew he was giving the car a good once over. He then asked me to come back to his car with my drivers license and proof of insurance.

After reviewing my insurance card and D/L he tells me that he stopped me because he thought my window tint was 'too dark'. ;) He gives me a verbal warning that I might want to get it changed or I might get stopped again by other Troopers who would want to check it out.

"Really?", I asked. "I didn't think it was THAT dark?"

He just sort of half grinned and said, "Well, it's close."

He paused for just a second.

"By the way, nice car. Actually, it's a VERY nice car. Drive safely." He handed me my papers back and smiled, nodding that I could go.

When I pulled out from the berm, he followed me for another 2-3 miles, pulling up along side twice and then falling back. When we came to an intersection, he flashed his high beams at me twice, waved, and then switched directions.

TR fans work everywhere. Even for the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

had buddy in high school tell me that he wanted my WH1 to have his children, and I told him that I was cutting his $!@* off if I caught it in my exhaust pipe! :D

Tom Tom Turbo said:
had buddy in high school tell me that he wanted my WH1 to have his children, and I told him that I was cutting his $!@* off if I caught it in my exhaust pipe! :D

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

good stuff

Waiting at a light going to my friends house to meet up with some people. Cops pull along side of me (there on the wrong side of the st. at this point) when they pull along side of me i had to make like i was wearing my seat belt because that point it wasn't on me. they ask me some questions about the car if it was stock they say "awesome car" then the proceed to tell me to "take off" they wanted me to nail it and spin em. So i did :D

there are so many more but that is one of my fav.

1st the is the typical "Nice Monte" or "Nice SS"

2nd was before my low mile 86 GN was totaled. Notice a guy following me. Turn off in a neighborhood I know and take a bunch of different streets, but he keeps following me. Pop on interstate for a little 120+ mph romp to the next exit. Takes him a while, but he catches me again. Now I'm irriated, so at the next exit I get off and head to the police station. I figure if he wants to steal the car he'll have to kill me at the police station. He pulls in right behind me. I get out of the car and ask him what he wants. He gets out and starts telling me how long he has been looking for a nice GN. He checks the car out and offers me 10 grand right there. I tell him thanks, but no thanks, the car is not for sale. The guy ends up finding out where I live and pesters the sh!# out of me, raising the price the whole time. Stops offering after I turn down 15 grand cash, which he pulls out of his pocket to show me he has the money. I turn him down, but tell him where to find a nice GN or T.

Saving the best for last. This was after the 86 GN was totaled and my daughter was born. One day I'm washing and detailing my wife's 2000 GSE when she completely surprizes me. She said the GSE was nice, but she misses driving the GN and would like to find another low milage 86 GN :p ;) :D :cool: !

It was late one night and I decided to do a WOT pass along the freeway side road for a little test and tune. I brought it up to about 115 or so.

Sitting at the next red light, I noticed flashing lights behind me so I made my way through the intersection then stopping.

The officer ask for the typical DL and insurance and made the comment that he clocked me at 106. He looked it over and stated, nice car...have a nice night and be careful.

Think goodness he was a fan.