What Would It Take To Beat The 405?

I think this is cool and I am happy to help out if this gets off the ground but if were are going to be honest a few of these cars will MPH in the 1/8 at about what our fastest TSO guys do in the quarter. A few of those cars will run over 200 in the quarter balls out. Your talking motors approaching 600CID with twin 88 or 91 turbos that's like 2 of what we have so lets not think we are going to walk up and roll these guys over. Buddys car was 2350 lbs with him in it. lightest possible car is only option

I think this is cool and I am happy to help out if this gets off the ground but if were are going to be honest a few of these cars will MPH in the 1/8 at about what our fastest TSO guys do in the quarter. A few of those cars will run over 200 in the quarter balls out. Your talking motors approaching 600CID with twin 88 or 91 turbos that's like 2 of what we have so lets not think we are going to walk up and roll these guys over. Buddys car was 2350 lbs with him in it. lightest possible car is only option
Exactly. . . Its a wet dream. . . Best bet would be for a gn body ahow ip with a turboed big block. . . .just to be competitive. . .

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see how this turns out and what the final goal is.

At first when i read the thread. I thought it was about having a Buick GN turbocharged V-6 car beating the 405.

But it looks like having any lightweight car any big cube engine with twin turbos is where it's going. Just to compete with them.

Mike Booher with his Buick V-6 dragster would probably give them a run for their money but still would not do it. And that is if they were running on a track.

Last edited:
IMHO, it's a pipe dream.
TurboDave (NucNova) already beat a few of them in his TTA and his car is very low 8's. That was a few years ago. Now there is no catching up. Maybe Varley would be more of a reality...lol

Here Is Dave representing:

• As much as I like my buick v6 to the point of "i can't get away from it", there's just about no chance on the street... especially when you go against a BBC car with whatever.... and can peddle it... if you peddle a monster v6, all the turbine speed is gone. Most of these guys actually have a real chassis underneath them too.

Yeah our cars make enough power. Trying to figure out how to get it to hook on the street like the track is the hard part. I am currently in the 405 now for street car takeover and the dyno day was held at big chief's shop. They seem like really cool guys.
cars like this is why a V6 will never compete against a BB TT car on the street or the track......

Interesting thread. I think it could be done. A v6 capable of revving to 9000rpm, boost in the 50's, cylinder head that flows in the 350-375 range, and a cam that will make power in those rpm's. I'd also choose a stripped down fox body for the chassis. Point blank is those chassis work on the drag strip.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep looks like a street car to me, where is it we draw the line again? maybe a Nasa rocket ship would be in order...

Once again. The motor would be on kill mode. It wouldnt last but a few races. Wet dream

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

While I think this is cool and the talent on this forum is second to none, it would be like taking a knife to a gun fight. ;)It is just too easy to make HP these days. I mean 700 cubes and twin turbo is just a cheque away and a tailgate to put it on. I think our cars left there mark on history and are still very respected but the stuff today is overwhelming.

I myself just can't watch this reality crap on TV and even if you did bring a car that kicked there a$$ it might not appear on TV like that. Besides could you see the Kleenex sponsorship they would get if a V6 beat them, I can see the crying and excuses now:D

Last edited:
OK, stuck at work late today. I was flipping through the channels and watched, for the very first time, Street Outlaws and just learned was the 405 is and street racing for that matter.

I dont watch much TV anyway, I can agree with SS/GN about stomaching reality tv. However, If members here were part of it ... I'd watch again. I've seen some pretty wicked turboed V8 motors built on here.

I'd love to see a 84-87 Regal body on there. Pretty cool to see the Turbo Dave video and the Ingersoll drag.

Last edited:
I think the V6 CAN make the power to be competitive on the street, but I also think it's way less forgiving than something with so much more engine to moderate said power. Also, a big tire car would be needed.. maybe Bob Peterson's old red car to start.

Get with TA and see if they could spin up a 450+ CI V6 block. Maybe out of billet. It would take a Sonny's Billet V6 block with Billet Heads. would be easy 100K+ for the motor

All you gotta do is run a low 6 high 5 in the 1/8th on the street and you can get on the list. You will see my buddy next week 7/13 on the show. Russ is his name. His car is a mid 5s car in the 8th. To get to 1 spot your going to need to be a 4 sec 1/8th car or better.

Get with TA and see if they could spin up a 450+ CI V6 block. Maybe out of billet. It would take a Sonny's Billet V6 block with Billet Heads. would be easy 100K+ for the motor
The biggest v6 I've seen was 302ci ford svo engine. I don't know about the buicks but the svo's have been tuned to make 700hp n/a. Billet cylinder heads built with methanol in mind would be my goal.

While I think this is cool and the talent on this forum is second to none, it would be like taking a knife to a gun fight. ;)It is just too easy to make HP these days. I mean 700 cubes and twin turbo is just a cheque away and a tailgate to put it on. I think our cars left there mark on history and are still very respected but the stuff today is overwhelming.

I myself just can't watch this reality crap on TV and even if you did bring a car that kicked there a$$ it might not appear on TV like that. Besides could you see the Kleenex sponsorship they would get if a V6 beat them, I can see the crying and excuses now:D
Big Chief's Butler Pontiac motor is 480 cu "

Looks like next week they have some other type cars they are racing. Saw a quick blip that looked like a GT-R.