What were you driving at 16 ?

A 1976 Datsun 200SX. I had it painted black and I don't want another one lol.
1978_Datsun_200SX_For_Sale_Side_resize.jpg

My first brand new car! 68 Mustang GT FB.

View attachment 239582

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.

Dave it looks like you put taller springs in the front and maybe longer shackles in the rear? The date on the photo is 1968 so you didn't was any time making it like you wanted it.

That clothes line in the photo brings back memories... my Dad would by a dryer until us kids were almost out of the house.o_O

I was driving the neighbors daughter. I also had an 82 camaro that my brother took all apart and I got it in 83. The 76 Granada was my daily driver

Lol classic Steve!

I had a 86 ttype I bought for 4k. It had a rebuilt title. Man do I miss that car. Blew away all the mustangs and camaros at school. They were pissed cause they were getting beat by a street kid with a car that his parents did buy for him.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Really enjoying these stories! Thanks for sharing. A young kid like myself (compared to you old farts) didn't have these kinds of experiences. My dad has told me a lot of similar stories. Maybe I can get him to log on and share!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Dave it looks like you put taller springs in the front and maybe longer shackles in the rear? The date on the photo is 1968 so you didn't was any time making it like you wanted it.

That clothes line in the photo brings back memories... my Dad would by a dryer until us kids were almost out of the house.o_O

Ya, I used longer shackles in the rear and coil spring spacers in the front. In retrospect is really is hideous now days, but back then it was my "look at me, I'm driving a gasser, look". Traded that in for my next new car which was a 69 Nova SS 396.

In retrospect is really is hideous now days, but back then it was my "look at me, I'm driving a gasser, look".

Dave your car didn't even come close to "hideous" compared to what I did to a 1970 MG Midget! At 14 years old I trade an RC airplane for this wrecked MG that someone had converted to a tilt front end and painted with bass boat or glitter sized metal flake in the paint. After getting the car back together I added a pair of air shocks on the rear that were hanging in my Dad's garage . I can't remember but I think I had to drill holes in the floor to mount the shocks because the MG had an arm type shock??

Once installed the rear came up to chest high on me but in my young mind that wasn't high enough..... so I removed the bolts from the rear shackles and aired the shocks till they stopped.....now the taillights were neck high on me (how ever tall I was at 14 years old). My Dad let me drive this thing back and forth to a summer job that I had at a body shop about 3 blocks from home. The U-joint were binding so bad that it made the whole car hop ......this thing was so ridiculous that it makes me red faced embarrassed to think about it today.:shame:

Last edited:
drove a 1972 Mach I mustang with a 351 cleveland motor. I thought it was cool at the time but now when I look back they are fugly.

I hate you guys. At 16 I had a 1982 VW Rabbit. Diesel, 5-speed. So gutless that it would almost stall if you turned on the a/c!
Looked like this. I don't think I ever took a pic of it because I hated it so much. My father was retiring from the Air Force and we were moving from Michigan to Florida. My choice was to ride with dad in the 1978 Olds Cutlass Custom Cruiser Station Wagon listening to AM talk radio, with Mom in her 1986 Chrysler Lebaron listening to crappy pop radio, or to buy the rabbit... The rabbit cost me $22 in diesel fuel for the entire trip! (Kinda wish I had it now). Sold it after a couple years and bought an 85 Camaro Berlinetta (Got beat down by a GN and went on to buy my first ttype!- That story is archived in the "kills" section):cool:
4910994108_3ce8d537be_z.jpg

At 14 years old I trade an RC airplane for this wrecked MG that someone had converted to a tilt front end and painted with bass boat or glitter sized metal flake in the paint.
:shame:

That was a 70s thing to do. Here is my NEW 70 Mach 1 Cobra Jet in 1972/73.

I have to look for my car I got when I was 16..... Finding all sorts of old stuff cleaning out. :D

So I should elaborate on my story. My GS 400 only lasted a week before the timing chain skipped on the nylon upper gear and trashed the motor. After 2 failed rebuild attempts by my 16 year old self, my Dad offered to buy me a cheap car for under $1k. I wanted an old Datsun Z. I found a couple for $1200, but my Dad wanted me to find something under $1k asking price. My sister had a nice '82 Mustang just sitting in our yard that she was selling for $1k and my Dad refused to buy it from her. So he finds this '77 Celica hatch back for $800 and buys it at asking price. This thing has an auto trans that won't go into OD, a broken stud on the head so the exhaust manifold leaks, leaks 1qt of oil a week, and gets 10mpg. To top if off. it as Playboy bunnies and roses etched into the windows. The good thing was that the AC was ice cold. I fixed it up a little and then the trans ended up taking a dump. I found a 4 speed stick from a Toryota truck and converted it. All I needed was the trans, pedal assembly, and the clutch hydrolics. Oh, and shifter boot. Everything else lined up. What I didn't know is that the auto cars had real low rear end gears, so this thing would top out at 80. That being said, it got there fast!!!! I swapped the carb, got rid of emissions crap, fixed the leaks, and had fun beating up unsuspecting cars from 0-60. I then ended up getting my Porsche 924S and the Toyota sat in the back yard for awhile before I sold it to a guy who cut the roof off it and blew it up while trying to drive on the freeway for an extended period of time.

I hated that car with a passion until I saw what they look like restored. Now I wish I had it:

MG_0761.jpg

130_0710_05_z_+1977_toyota_celica+left_front_view.bmp.jpg

Forget the Camaro, thats a sweet Lumina APV in the background ...

J/K :whistle:

That dark aqua Poly is a great color on that Camaro, nice car.

Hey don't knock the Lumina APV, plastic body panels don't rust. I hate rust.
Still looks good for 20 years old. That's how I can afford three garage princesses.
My daily drivers are all old.

Hey don't knock the Lumina APV, plastic body panels don't rust. I hate rust.
Still looks good for 20 years old. That's how I can afford three garage princesses.
My daily drivers are all old.
Ha, I hear you there, 98 5.0 Explorer is the daily... I could do better but then there would be no GN. Priorities!!

My first car was a 79 CJ7. In 1988.

It had a factory V8. A 304 if I remember correctly.

It was a 3 speed. It was awesome.

The pic was taken in 89.

My friend with his first car a 77 ta, and my other friend in the gay pose with his new 350 formula. We still bust balls on that today.

Those were the days. Young and immortal.

We were the cool kids in town and backed it up.
Long haired rockers and carefree.

The original owner had committed suicide a few month earlier. The Jeep ran great but there were always weird things happening.

I've never believed in spirits and such but at that young age it made me wonder. I always blamed it on the dead guy to get reactions lol.

D

CAM00017.jpg

The day of my 16th birthday, I had three cars titled in my name
88 shadow
83 rampage
66 coronet

The shadow was my main beater (this was in 1999) and I still don't know how, but that fuggin thing was always piled full of freshman girls from the neighboring school. I ended up marrying the best one of the bunch. That car had twice as much money spent on (used) stereo equipment as I spent on the car itself. I could scan pics but I know no one here cares about an 88 shadow with headlight covers and window tint (which came in real handy). I got a big block Plymouth wagon at 17, couple Shelby chargers at 18, and bought my GN when I was 20, but at 16, man its hard to have anything worth a damn. My mother gave me a strict limit of 3 cars at the house when I lived there and it drove me nuts.