What were you driving at 16 ?

You guys were lucky,,, I was POOR!!:(

g1yellowluv.jpg

There was also one called ROUGH RIDERS!

Last edited:
1967 GTO vert 400/4 speed dark aquamarine with matching interior and a 77 Firebird Esprit

I wished I had pics of my first car but who was thinking about pics in 1979 at age 17 I was just crusin for girls and had plenty of room in my 1968 Chevy Impala. :D

1983 Buick Riviera. Fwd with an Olds 307 that maybe made 120hp. :) it got over 20mpg though so I liked it. Had a lot of 16yo old boy memories in that car.

1983 Buick Riviera. Fwd with an Olds 307 that maybe made 120hp. :) it got over 20mpg though so I liked it. Had a lot of 16yo old boy memories in that car.

I still have my Dads 84 Riviera that he bought wrecked back around 1990. We replaced the frame and put a front end on it........ turned out to be the last project that we did together.

I still have my Dads 84 Riviera that he bought wrecked back around 1990. We replaced the frame and put a front end on it........ turned out to be the last project that we did together.

Sweet lines on those cars. Thanks for sharing the story. Very touching.

Two tone blue 1980 Pontiac Bonneville, 301 Pontiac V8 with "radial tuned suspension":rolleyes:. That car had the everliven snot beat out of it for 140K miles. Never missed a beat.

72 challenger 340, 727 with slap stick. Saved up and bought it 3 months before I turned 16. Talked my dad into letting me drive it once before I got my license. So we took the tags off his 73 Cuda and put the rear plate on my challenger and throw the front plate on the dash. Got down the road less that a mile, pass a cop and turns around and pulls us over. Officer comes to the door and says I noticed your missing your front plate. I freeze up scared to death, Dads says sorry we just bought the car and we didn't have the bolts to mount it. Officer says no problem get it fixed. Luckily never asked for license,registration or insurance. Never forget what my dad said " son if your going to drive a hot rod car your going to have eyes of every cop on you". Man he wasnt lying about that. Sorry for the long post I forgot all about that happening. I will post some pics if I can find them.

72 challenger 340, 727 with slap stick. Saved up and bought it 3 months before I turned 16. Talked my dad into letting me drive it once before I got my license. So we took the tags off his 73 Cuda and put the rear plate on my challenger and throw the front plate on the dash. Got down the road less that a mile, pass a cop and turns around and pulls us over. Officer comes to the door and says I noticed your missing your front plate. I freeze up scared to death, Dads says sorry we just bought the car and we didn't have the bolts to mount it. Officer says no problem get it fixed. Luckily never asked for license,registration or insurance. Never forget what my dad said " son if your going to drive a hot rod car your going to have eyes of every cop on you". Man he wasnt lying about that. Sorry for the long post I forgot all about that happening. I will post some pics if I can find them.

That reminds me of some of the stuff we did back in the day.:) You could get away with little things like that back then but they would want to darn near hang you now:(

At age 16 i already had purchased at age 15 a brand new 1963 ford XL fastback. Payments were $99 per month. (i was working for my dad). I turned 16 in September by October I was failing in most of my subjects so I was forced to surrender my keys to my parents. unknown to them I had a spare key so I 'stole' my car and within 3 days i was picked up in Gallup New Mexico. By the the time everything was said and done got the car back by Christmas came back in a box car. It was probably the only car I owned that I never took care of.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

1970 Chevelle Malibu, column shifted 350 with the chrome Moroso air cleaner that provided the extra 50 HP...LOL

Mickey Thompson slotted Mags made it fast as well..

Bryan

1969 Ford Maverick - 3 spd on the column. inline 6? Don't think I ever opened the hood...........I think it fell apart before the first oil change.
No lemon law then, brand new car...

I was driving a 63 Impala coupe. It had a 327-Powerglide. It was parked behind a gas station next to the store I worked at.
I was told it didn't run. I could buy it for $50. On Sunday, the station was closed. My brother, brother in law and myself went
to check it out. The ignition was not in the locked position so we tried to start it and it didn't start. My brother's car had a 327 in it so my brother in law swapped the rotors and the car fired right up. So next day I walked into the station and told him I'd buy it. He offered to tow it to my house and I said let me putter with it a bit first. I played under the hood like I knew what I was doing and then I brought the rotor in and asked if he had one I could buy. So he gave me one and said if it didn't work I could give it back. I installed it and started the car and drove it round front. I went in and asked what do I owe you? He asked did you get it running? I said yeah it's right outside. He looked at it sitting there and threw down a wiper blade he had in his hand and said son of a bitch! I worked on that car for an hour trying to get it running and this kid comes in and has it running in fifteen minutes! I later put in a cam, headers and four barrel carb & Edelbrock manifold with 456 gears in the back. I converted it over to a four speed manual trans. I bought 64 Impala SS interior and replaced the blue interior with bench seat. The car a a damaged drivers fender. I got a used one but I could never match the color of that car. It was like and blue aqua. I even took off the tag and took it into a shop to get some paint but they couldn't make anything of the paint number. So my brother just got some midnight blue and we painted to whole thing. I eventually got a beat up 68 Camaro and sold the Impala. One day, I saw a 74 Camaro in what seemed like the color of my Impala and I found the color "dark aqua poly". I painted my 68 Camaro in that color. I still have that Camaro today in that color. I had bought the Impala even before I had my drivers license, I turned 16 in 1970, and got my license.
1963 Chevrolet Impala.jpg
HPIM0839.JPG

'65 Ford Fairlane 500, the last of the little ones.

260 V8 with three on the tree. I bought it from a little old lady in Sun City, AZ. The car was immaculate.

I cut the exhaust and ran two pipes out back to make it "dual exhaust", put a Hurst floor shifter in it, installed a Pioneer Super Tuner with the round faced radio dial in it and then drove the snot out of it delvering pizza for 2 years.

Some drunk guy ran a red and totaled it. I walked away with a couple of scratches.

I loved that car. Pic below is what mine looked like only it was baby blue.

88842_Side_Profile_Web.jpg