What were you driving at 16 ?

The day of my 16th birthday, I had three cars titled in my name
88 shadow
83 rampage
66 coronet

The shadow was my main beater (this was in 1999) and I still don't know how, but that fuggin thing was always piled full of freshman girls from the neighboring school. I ended up marrying the best one of the bunch. That car had twice as much money spent on (used) stereo equipment as I spent on the car itself. I could scan pics but I know no one here cares about an 88 shadow with headlight covers and window tint (which came in real handy). I got a big block Plymouth wagon at 17, couple Shelby chargers at 18, and bought my GN when I was 20, but at 16, man its hard to have anything worth a damn. My mother gave me a strict limit of 3 cars at the house when I lived there and it drove me nuts.
3 cars was a limit?! Shit it was a hassle to get the gn as a second....

I could scan pics but I know no one here cares about an 88 shadow with headlight covers and window tint (which came in real handy).

Why not post the pictures? Some people may not know what a shadow looks like and really the intent of the thread was to post anything that brought back old memories:). I keep telling my teenage sons to enjoy these years because they may be the most carefree time of their lives.

At 14 i had a learners permit but didnt have a car of my own, so that made things tough especially with only 1 car in the family at that time. At 16 i still didnt have a car and also still had a learners permit, so i had to be driven around or walk to get around back then. Up until 4 years ago, i hadn 't ever had a car of my own. As luck would have it, my first car would end up being a TR. I had ended up checking into and falling in love with a medium or dark metallic gray metallic 87 turbo regal with T package and factory cf5 astroroof. Kind of weird to be able to say until i was 28 or 29 years old was when i got my 1st car and of any first car i'd get to wind up using some deployment money to get ahold of her after i got back to the states & had looked her over in person.
Definitely not the norm by any means.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
1989 Mercury Topaz. Pic is not actual car but exact options, paint, etc. Man, how I remember that 3-speed automatic humming along at 70mph+

3062250001_large.jpg

First car was a 1977 Nove. Had the inline 6...but was pulled in favour of a SBC.:)

Why not post the pictures? Some people may not know what a shadow looks like and really the intent of the thread was to post anything that brought back old memories:). I keep telling my teenage sons to enjoy these years because they may be the most carefree time of their lives.

WELLLLL.....first id have to find the damn things LOL. And they are probably out in the storage shed that isn't lit or heated. Maybe get a wild hair sometime this weekend and do it.

First car was an 86 z28 tpi with t tops. It was half decent when I got it but being young and dumb I beat the hell out of it. By the time I had started to mature and had it half done I sold it for a small fraction. Of what I had into it.

At 16 I was still driving, (when I was allowed to which was not that often) my mom's 66 Mustang. Nothing special, as it was good looking even with the pony interior, but it was a sad straight 6 car :(. But I worked hard and saved up for my first car ad a few years later I had my first car, a 69 Camaro RS. I only have one photo of it....Photo is after I added American 200s wheels and Z28 hood. Soon after I added front and rear spoilers. I year later it was stolen from where I worked.:(
1969 Camaro RS.jpg

While looking for old photos to share I found these of my GN. They must have been taken in the early 90's just after I bought my first house (must have been around 23). I bought my GN from the original owner after it had been hit hard from behind and pushed into another car. I sectioned the frame at the factory seams and replaced the rear clip... all in my garage and driveway. I could get away with this because I was the first person in the development and there were no other houses built at that time. One weekend the developer drove through in his black Mercedes just as I was pulling the rear clip in place with a come-along and he looked right at me with a look of total disbelief in what I was doing in his new development!:jawdrop: I didn't make a habit of doing stuff like that so all is good in the neighborhood today.:)
gn clip.jpg

gn clip 2.jpg

Last edited:
It baffles me that someone would want to pay to live under someone else's rules. Awesome job by the way.

It baffles me that someone would want to pay to live under someone else's rules. Awesome job by the way.

I was just a kid and didn't really understand what a HOA was until I got a letter saying that I had to sod my yard or incur a lien against my property. Now keep in mind the entire neighborhood was full of mature oak trees and a lawn struggled to live due to very little sun light. I did what they asked and installed a irrigation system and special shade tolerant sod only to watch it die over a one year period.:( I guess the effort was good enough.... thousands of dollars later it looks just like it did before :meh:

Last edited:
The first car I got to drive to school in was a 1951 Buick with a straight eight and Dynaflow transmission. My dad owned a wrecking yard and this was his "safe" car for me to drive. Then I got to drive a '69 Elky, then a '39 Pontiac with a Chevy 250 six and th350, then I got to drive a MINT 1941 OLDS a few times. Ended up with a '78 Fairmont Futura for graduation. That came with a 200 six, but ended up with a 351-w later on. Funny story about that swap. I pulled the k-member out of a mustang Indy pace car and with the mustang on the forks of a 48' Hyster fork lift, I was placing the struts on the fender of the forklift and the guy driving it backed up onto my left foot. GEEZUZ! THAT HURT! didn't really do to much damage other than a bruised arch. Actually the Fairmont was pieced together from a Zephyr front end a pillars and under front seat and a Fairmont back half welded together. The Fairmont was hit hard in the front end. A body saw and welder fixed that. It was cool growing up in a wrecking yard.

Some of the cooler cars I got to drive were a '69 Boss 429, '66 Shelby GT350H, '66 Mustang convertible (with Shelby running gear, same with a '65 mustang vert, '55 Caddy , '64 GTO convertible, '51 Lincoln (nicknamed the yellow submarine) '68 428 CJ mustang, 71 Cougar convertible with a 429 CJ, and our '69 F100 that we had stuffed a 429 SCJ out of a Torino in. That pick up would HAUL!!!!! I got in a fair amount of trouble driving that truck.

I was just a kid and didn't really understand what a HOA was until I got a letter saying that I had to sod my yard or incur a lien against my property. Now keep in mind the entire neighborhood was full of mature oak trees and a lawn struggled to live due to very little sun light. I did what they asked and installed a irrigation system and special shade tolerant sod only to watch it die over a one year period.:( I guess the effort was good enough.... thousands of dollars later it looks just like it did before :meh:
Life is too short to f*ck with a yard all weekend. I could win the lottery and move out in the sticks and have the same shitty looking yard and with a modest atv track in the backyard and I'd be happy.

Forgot about this ride and a 4 door '58 Chevy with a 348 and Power Glide. No posi......it was still fun to kick the secondaries of the 4bbl in every time i drove it. The old cars i drove were a pain in Washington State rain with vacuum wipers. Barely move going up a hill and then try to fling off going down the other side. All these cars NEVER left me on the side of the road.
s1Ebnalt97KCuEHR7F-YyBkRbZZAnvBj0E0oqofXYtVcK-4j7iQ3cKQAF-cbtQeyNZKwz7ifVvEHmMA-Xwa0SUYn5-o7w_qIeLRvaToriIGcJnHJAhbFhTKorbd0gVu_ENPtF6FYhe1bo0UM6Le1iKC0DqA=w591-h443-nc

Last edited:
I had a 77 buick regal with an odd fire v6 and a sweet 8 track in it...couldn't get out of its own way until I put a riv' 455 in it, then I just started breaking things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna be doing that swap in my 85 regal next spring. 73 455 with bowl blend heads, gs113 cam.

I have a 68 430 that is going in a really solid 82 Regal with the original paint that I bought a couple of years ago.

There wasn't too many of these made. It was a 1982 Hydrostream Venus with a worked 200 Mercury on it. It had a nice cabin in front with windows and a hatch that opened. It also had a padded cabin floor that would sleep 2 very comfortably and crush velour covering the walls and ceiling. When I was about 18 or 19 my friends and I were out on the river with this thing almost every day after work and on the weekends. It would run 75 or 80 with 4 or 5 people in it.

The boat didn't always have a top.... that came when the girl in the photo (now my wife) wanted to get a pontoon boat for fishing.;) The boat would barely stay in the water the way it was but with the top up at full throttle it got scary at times:eek: I know it's not a car but I did drive it:)

hydrostream.jpg