What makes one car rarer than another.

garnetkid

I ordered my car new and because I didn't want black I sat down with the sales man and we put together a dark red regal with options and shown in the picture attached. It has the LC2 engine and the Y56 which is the T package. I have been searching the net to decipher the option list and found several but not all that is shown. Wikipedia says that the regal T was discontinued in 1987??? I have yet to see another Regal decked out like the way mine was ordered, particularly with the WF6 exterior moulding package. So what is the opinion on the rare scale of my Regal??? Thanks for any and all opinions!!
buick regal 3.jpg
option list.jpg

mine is 1 of 10 that came out with chrome side mirrors from the factory in 1987 and its a turbo T. ;)

My GN is one of he rarest ones out there. Try finding an 82 GN that's still together and you'll understand what I mean. Rare doesn't always mean the most desireable thuough.:(

The "rare" part about your car is the well kept one owner aspect of it. The non-gn turbo regals in 87 could be had with so many different options that its quite possible no 2 were identical. So most of them are "one of one" in some way or another. Great looking car too! If I could do it over I'd have a T and not a GN.

The wide bevel lower trim is unusual but not super rare. Probably not many that had both the chrome package and the T tops. The T package was available in 87 (obviously) but was a separate package from the turbo engine. The vast majority of regal Ts got the turbo engine.

The T package was available in 87 (obviously) but was a separate package from the turbo engine. The vast majority of regal Ts got the turbo engine.

Well THAT certainly clears the question all up.........

Do you, perhaps, sell used cars? ;)

In 1987 Buick dropped the T-Type package on the Regal.

This T package is often erroneously thought to designate the Turbo T package, which is solely the WE4 Regal.

All TURBO Regals in 1987 came with the Y56 T package and have a T badge on the fenders and on the horn button (a similar T badge also appears on the current Regal Turbo). The T-Type logo consisted of a large red letter "T", and the word "Type" in small black or white letters. The emblems were only placed on the fenders (and on some later models a grille emblem was used). The single T was ONLY used on the turbo Regals and ONLY in 1987.

Originally the "T-type" name was to be an appearance package and used across the line (which it was) but to this day is still confused with the turbo Regal when the 3.8 turbo motor could be ordered with the T-type package.

1987 was the only year that the LC2 Turbo option was available on any Regal, making it possible to even see a Limited with a vinyl landau roof and a power bulge turbo hood. Turbo Regal Limiteds were one of the rarest models of Turbo Regals produced second only to the GNX at 1,035 Turbo Limiteds. Turbo Regal Limiteds could be ordered with many options with most having chrome external trim but for $35 could have been built with the full black-out trim option making them extremely rare. Limiteds were treated to a very luxurious interior with plush carpeting and optional bench pillow seats and a column shift. The 1987 model would be the end of the manufacture of the RWD "G-Body" Regal, but GM had to extend the build of the Grand National to meet customer demand

Probably that it still has mud flaps. When I bought a Monte SS in the mid 90's it had...get ready for it...running boards!. I still have them tucked away in the garage rafters,not because I want to keep them,just that they... well I don't know.

Probably that it still has mud flaps. When I bought a Monte SS in the mid 90's it had...get ready for it...running boards!. I still have them tucked away in the garage rafters,not because I want to keep them,just that they... well I don't know.
Running boards? Happen to have a picture of it in all it's glory? I gotta see what that would look like :D

Great looking car!
Thanks for the replies. the car has 101,000 kls on it now most of which was put on in the first seven years when it was a daily driver. I just put it back on the road after a 4 years rest in storage. The mud flaps were dealer installed to help keep the gravel rash down to a minimum. It now has a collector plate on it so it will get semi regular exercise during good weather!! It is still in very good original condition throughout.

TNTSNBS - how did you find out that your car with the chrome mirrors was 1 of 10 produced with that option? thanks, Leon

You could get those Buick mud flaps for $20 in the parts dept. and install them yourself too.

They actually worked for stone and gravel and mud and rubber. :eek:

They might even still make them.... :p

It's a nice car for sure. :cool:

You could get those Buick mud flaps for $20 in the parts dept. and install them yourself too.

They actually worked for stone and gravel and mud and rubber. :eek:

They might even still make them.... :p

It's a nice car for sure. :cool:

Kirban still sells BUICK mudflaps! HURRY! Better go getcha some before the rush hits & he's sold out! :eek:

TurboTGuy said:
In 1987 Buick dropped the T-Type package on the Regal.

This T package is often erroneously thought to designate the Turbo T package, which is solely the WE4 Regal.

All TURBO Regals in 1987 came with the Y56 T package and have a T badge on the fenders and on the horn button (a similar T badge also appears on the current Regal Turbo). The T-Type logo consisted of a large red letter "T", and the word "Type" in small black or white letters. The emblems were only placed on the fenders (and on some later models a grille emblem was used). The single T was ONLY used on the turbo Regals and ONLY in 1987.

Originally the "T-type" name was to be an appearance package and used across the line (which it was) but to this day is still confused with the turbo Regal when the 3.8 turbo motor could be ordered with the T-type package.

1987 was the only year that the LC2 Turbo option was available on any Regal, making it possible to even see a Limited with a vinyl landau roof and a power bulge turbo hood. Turbo Regal Limiteds were one of the rarest models of Turbo Regals produced second only to the GNX at 1,035 Turbo Limiteds. Turbo Regal Limiteds could be ordered with many options with most having chrome external trim but for $35 could have been built with the full black-out trim option making them extremely rare. Limiteds were treated to a very luxurious interior with plush carpeting and optional bench pillow seats and a column shift. The 1987 model would be the end of the manufacture of the RWD "G-Body" Regal, but GM had to extend the build of the Grand National to meet customer demand

Is like to disagree with the statement that the "T" was only on turbo regals and that it was only used in '87. The "T" (touring) pkg was also used on the Century, Electra, and possibly LeSabre in '87 and '88 and possibly later.

The lc2 required having the y56 "T" pkg, but you could have the y56 without the lc2. The previous is for 1987 Regals.

Just like the wo2 became an option in 87. Buick opened up to some wild combos that year.

Is like to disagree with the statement that the "T" was only on turbo regals and that it was only used in '87. The "T" (touring) pkg was also used on the Century, Electra, and possibly LeSabre in '87 and '88 and possibly later.

The lc2 required having the y56 "T" pkg, but you could have the y56 without the lc2. The previous is for 1987 Regals.

Just like the wo2 became an option in 87. Buick opened up to some wild combos that year.

i think the post you were referring to was only talking about the Regal/GN lines..

I like to add a few comments here based on my background with these cars that is pretty well known among readers.

As for the 10 cars with chrome mirrors. I find that hard to believe unless you have proof. Reason being breakdowns was very hard to get from Buick even back during the 1980s. Chrome mirrors is without a doubt rare. I would not refer to them as being an option more of a possible slip up or oversight when the car was ordered. I have owned at least 3 cars with chrome mirrors and seen several others over the years. My current 1987 Turbo-T has chrome mirrors and the code on the trunk label verifies it.

As someone else has pointed out and they are correct to beat the high insurance rates Buick did build some V8 Regals with the flat hood with the T package meaning the T emblem was on the fender you got the FE3 style suspension and you could also get the black out kit as well. V8 powered of course was anemic compared to the turbo V6 so you had the look with out the torque etc...and I believe they got the smaller size rear.

Again I am not 100% sure on this as I never owned one.

Rariety as others have stated is a key feature to try and obtain in any car line. Some owner seek the most loaded example they can find, and others seek the least optioned example they can find. In the Mustang world for example finding a unmolested 100% stock notchback fox body 5 speed 5.0 Mustang today would be extremely rare.

The T you showed was fairly rare when new and of course is even rarer today. that wide stainless mainily appeared on Limited models but could be had on regular Ts as well. I had one that had half padded roof and T Tops...weird-rare-but lacked being desireable.

The important thing is you like the car....and chances are slim you will see another duplicate even at a national level equipped liek yours. Besides being rare its good to own something that is desireable as well.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I have owned a few 1986-1987 Turbo Regals over the years...

garnetkid said:
I ordered my car new and because I didn't want black I sat down with the sales man and we put together a dark red regal with options and shown in the picture attached. It has the LC2 engine and the Y56 which is the T package. I have been searching the net to decipher the option list and found several but not all that is shown. Wikipedia says that the regal T was discontinued in 1987??? I have yet to see another Regal decked out like the way mine was ordered, particularly with the WF6 exterior moulding package. So what is the opinion on the rare scale of my Regal??? Thanks for any and all opinions!!

Rare means not too many. Not more valuable. Chances are your car has a one of a kind option list.

Rare means not too many. Not more valuable. Chances are your car has a one of a kind option list.
Once again, thanks for the replies. Does anybody have a link to a complete option code list and what they are. I have been searching and only have found about half of what is shown on my option list. Leon