What do you think?

monkeyy337

I'm in the procees of buying a TR-7 with a Buick V-6 motor already installed in it. I don't know if its a odd fire or even fire and don't really care as I'm going to install a 231 even fire motor I have. I have no idea what one of these cars weigh but it can't be very much. My motor is over bored .060, decent hyd cam, aluminum intake (Edel Performer), 390 Holley, headers, tweaked HEI dist, Turbo heads, 1.77 intake valves, ported/polished/bowls worked. The car has a turbo 350 transmission with a 8.8 mustang rearend and 3.40 something gears. If for no other reason (weight alone), this little car should be a screamer I think. Your thoughts?

My TR7 is almost ready for the track. I ended up using a 231 even fire motor which is .060 over, decent hydraulic camshaft, aluminum performer intake, 600 holley, headers, HEI and a turbo 350 transmission (2800 stall convertor) and a Mustang rear end with 3.73 gears and 225-50R-15 drag radials. I have taken as much weight as possible out of the car and am shooting for 2500lbs with me on board. I have a feeling the drag radials are to short (23.9) with a 3.73 gear for the quarter mile but should be fine for 1/8 mile bracket racing which is what I do. I have a set of roller rockers but they are stock ratio and also some GN heads that have been ported with 1.77 valves and will install them at a later date. I'm hoping the car will run somewhere in the 13's but time will tell.

i think your rear my be a little short, with the 373s and those tiny tires. but I would say your probably very close to your goal.

:biggrin: A.j.

I'd sell those extra heads unless you plan on going turbo. The cylinders shroud the valves quite a bit so they won't flow the best for an NA car. Good luck and post an ET when you get it on the track.

I'd sell those extra heads unless you plan on going turbo. The cylinders shroud the valves quite a bit so they won't flow the best for an NA car. Good luck and post an ET when you get it on the track.
I was thinking the .060 that the motor is bored might help unshroud the valves some?

To some degree, yes. The bigger valves work the best with a 4.1 or turbo application though.

I'm sure I will never turbo the motor and your the second person to tell me that the heads would not help the motor. Maybe I will just sell them and continue to use what I have. Thanks for the info.

No way, keep the gear! I have 4.30's in my N/A car and it still traps at too low of an RPM. My tires are about 25.5" tall so the 3.73's with your tires will be similar. My car is almost the same weight as yours too. Mine is currently a 4 speed car but will soon be a TH-350 with brake. At sea level you may get a 13 out of it but it will be tough without added compression in the engine. Mine is about 8.6:1. I used stock pistons and milled the deck about .030.

No way, keep the gear! I have 4.30's in my N/A car and it still traps at too low of an RPM. My tires are about 25.5" tall so the 3.73's with your tires will be similar. My car is almost the same weight as yours too. Mine is currently a 4 speed car but will soon be a TH-350 with brake. At sea level you may get a 13 out of it but it will be tough without added compression in the engine. Mine is about 8.6:1. I used stock pistons and milled the deck about .030.
I did a couple of practice launches with the car today in the shop. I think your correct and the car won't run in the 13's. but mid 14's. I'm taking it to Beech Bend tomorrow (test/tune day) so will see what it actually runs. I think I will even wear my helmet.

Don't know how or up load problem? When you reply click on post reply and wait intil it fully loads. Page down and you'll se a spot for manage attachments. Click there and you can put in a URL or upload from your puter.

I just got back from the track and the little car did as follows
weight of car and 10 gallons of gas (no driver) 2164 (2363) with driver.
60 foot time 1.902
1/8 mile 8.916 @ 76.64 mph
1/4 mile 14.101 @ 93.97 mph
This is no rocket ship but at least I have a baseline to work with now. The motor seemed to like 36 degrees total timming best. The brakes although new are junk. Could not stall the convertor past 2000 rpm without pushing through the lights. The posi is also junk as out of 4 passes (burnouts) the right rear tire only smoked somewhat once.

I just got back from the track and the little car did as follows
weight of car and 10 gallons of gas (no driver) 2164 (2363) with driver.
60 foot time 1.902
1/8 mile 8.916 @ 76.64 mph
1/4 mile 14.101 @ 93.97 mph
This is no rocket ship but at least I have a baseline to work with now. The motor seemed to like 36 degrees total timming best. The brakes although new are junk. Could not stall the convertor past 2000 rpm without pushing through the lights. The posi is also junk as out of 4 passes (burnouts) the right rear tire only smoked somewhat once.
Found out what caused a few of the problems when I went to the track. Although I said the brakes were new that really was only the front ones. I had the rear drums turned and bled the brakes but never really checked the rear ones for stopping operation.. Checked them today and found that both rear wheel cylinders are froze up. I also pulled #1 and #6 plugs and they are as white as snow. Rather than increase the jet size in front (66), I'm going to work on the secondary block and drill it out to 66 size also for starters. The posi is still a problem but I've bought a brand new one and will put it in when it arrives. I thought the small rear tires and a 3.73 gear might be a problem but shifting the car at 5000 rpm puts me at 5300 rpm going through the traps and thats with a 2800-3200 convertor. I really think this car will run 13.80's when I'm finished with it.

Good air at Beech Bend Sunday (6 Nov 2011), the little car had the best ET ever, 1/8th mile, 8.850 @ 75.96 mph with a 1.888 (60').

It's getting there. Have you figured out how to post pics yet?
I still can't post pictures and don't waste your time trying to tell me how, it is what it is (lol). I have some in my email account that I can email to you if you want to post them?

You can send them to me but do a test email first. My filters seem to kill off attachments if it's a first email. Use my board name at hotmail.