How much carburator?

monkeyy337

What size carburator are you guys running on your Buick 231's? I have been told you can't hardley over carburate one of these motors and am presently running a 600 Holley vac secondary carb. My motor is .060 over with a decent hyd cam, headers, performer intake, HEI dist, and headers. The car weighs 2363lbs with driver, 350 turbo trans, and a 3:73 gear with 24" tall drag radials. The 60' times are in the high 1.80's and the 1/8 mile ET is high 8.90's. I'm thinking this motor could handle a 600 double pumper? Your thoughts please.

when i ran the weiand single plane (gen3) on my NA 4.1 I couldnt hardly use a carb over a mech 450. and I still had to use a 32 squirter and pink cam.

I would say you will probably be fine with 600 on a dual plane intake though.

A.j.

Most of the guys will agree that a 600 is just fine but I will point out the factory Q-jet is rated about the same and with minor tuning it will flow 800 cfm without any issues. If you decide to go with a different carb get a spread bore for better bottom end response.

Most of the guys will agree that a 600 is just fine but I will point out the factory Q-jet is rated about the same and with minor tuning it will flow 800 cfm without any issues. If you decide to go with a different carb get a spread bore for better bottom end response.

someone should start a thread on how to tune and upgrade a qjet. that will most likely help out alot of people. the qjet is a lost art.

someone should start a thread on how to tune and upgrade a qjet. that will most likely help out alot of people. the qjet is a lost art.

When I get to this point I will Matt. Getting to the point where I need to comes first though.:biggrin: I started showing a non CCC carb design thread and I'll be updating it as soon as I can but it will probibly be a while.:redface:

When I get to this point I will Matt. Getting to the point where I need to comes first though.:biggrin: I started showing a non CCC carb design thread and I'll be updating it as soon as I can but it will probibly be a while.:redface:

there are a few thing that make people run away one is rust/bodywork and the othere is the big bad qjet. there not even that hard to do i just dont get it.:confused:

there are a few thing that make people run away one is rust/bodywork and the othere is the big bad qjet. there not even that hard to do i just dont get it.:confused:

They're really not that hard if you have the proper info. That's really the big difference. Most people aren't willing to read how to do it and learn. They want a simple plug and play system and carbs really aren't built that way. Parts are also hard to find now which make it even harder.

I rebuilt my carb. I went into it clueless, and went out understanding how a Qjet works pretty good.

Quadrajet Carburetors by Doug Roe is a good book. Glad I bought it!!

Mine was missing the secondary metering rod cam, the fast idle cam was installed upside down, the secondary choke lock out didnt open, and the rear vacuume break was shot. Fixed that stuff and the car runs great.

Only flaw is the power valve is adjusted to low, so as soon as you give the car any gas, it chokes out. Gotta adjust that before I get my PEVR set up.

Ohh and off topic, I found the switch part for the electric PEVR replacement. Its $50 new, so im just going to go the the salvage yard and get one.

Im in the process of looking for a good factory qjet that i can upgrade, but I should do the compression check first...:redface:

I`m thinking about just getting a blow-through carb and slapping it on, but I`m not sure what one to get... Adam, what carb do you use?

If you have a little over$500 you can pickup a Demon and if you want to spend less find a used holley or a new one, you have less money in it than a demon but spend more time on it. I can mod holley's for blow thru for $100 plus the new parts.

Still no way to mod a Edel carb yet?:biggrin: So any Holley with vac secondaries will do? and what bore or doesn't it matter? Now I wish I had kept that spare Holley I had a few years back:rolleyes:

The Edelbrock/Carter-afb is not a good choice for blowthru neither is their intake manifold. I'd recommend a mechanical secondary carb for blowthru and not more than 750 cfm

Ok, I will have to look around for one. Any pics on how you hooked up your setup? What kind of inter cooler will work? Sorry for the hijacking:biggrin:

sry for the 'jacking Monkeyy337.
Jase check out the thread: "Repeat procedure" in B4b it's all in there. Then if you need more assistance PMme.