b4black '82 GN project take 2

b4black

I had a thread call b4black '82 GN project. It's so old that the picture are all lost, so I'm starting it over.

Soon after I bought my '82 GN back in 1990, I had an opportunity to buy another. I drove this second GN for just a few years, then the transmission went out and it sat - for a long time. I started to restore it a couple times, but both times stalled. Third time is charm, and I am finally making good progress.

gnscx2.gif

That's it in the background. It's an '82 GN, but it's been repainted and is missing the two tined paint job.

Somewhere along the way, I had the trans rebuilt. It's the original 350C. Now it has a performance build with a 10" 2800 stall torque converter. I pulled the motor that was in it. I installed a 4.1, then pulled that back out and put in my first GN when it blew a head gasket on the NA motor that was in it. I stated to collect parts to rebuild the motor it came with (not the original engine), when I decided to take a short cut. I bought a running long block from a friend. His car ran 10's - it's an 85 block with good internal and champion aluminum heads. I installed it, and started mocking up all the parts to see if everything fits.

First step was trying out a champion ac delete bracket from an IC motor. That moved the alternator to the other side, mounts the power steering pump and clears the HEI distributor. A good start.

310585985_10220622537505557_3117372912084968836_n.jpg

Next up was a set up GN1 headers and a borrowed turbo. Then a Weiand intake and nice new holley carb set up for blow thru and E85.

header.jpg

looking like this will work. More to come.....

Last edited:
Next came the downpipe. I had bought a Terry Houston style DP a long time ago at a swap meet for $50. Now it was finally time to put it use. But it didn't fit! :mad: I borrowed some other DPs and they would fit either. Even if I tried using the stock IC header and turbo, nothing would fit.

So I loaded up the car and took it to the Turbo Farm. There a local welder was able to cut and paste a downpipe together.
2022 d.jpg
310336808_10220622540305627_4030242241008715624_n.jpg
IMG_4770.JPG

Next came the downpipe. I had bought a Terry Houston style DP a long time ago at a swap meet for $50. Now it was finally time to put it use. But it didn't fit! :mad: I borrowed some other DPs and they would fit either. Even if I tried using the stock IC header and turbo, nothing would fit.

So I loaded up the car and took it to the Turbo Farm. There a local welder was able to cut and paste a downpipe together.View attachment 390313View attachment 390314View attachment 390315
That looks like great work!

Intercooler next. I believe this was made by Eastern Performance. It already had a bracket made to mount to the core support. Then a test fit with a header panel. The turbo to IC pipe it came with was fine, but a new IC to carb pipe would need to be fabricated.
intercooler a.jpg
Intercooler b.JPG
pipes.jpg

Get to the good part. The best part! The fuel pump header assembly.

Here are some pictures of everything mocked up. The turbo inlet with the red coupler is just a place holder for now. It's tigght, but everythihg fits. The carb and it's hat do sit up high. I didn't think they would clear the hood, but after trimming the inner support, the hat fits nicely under the hood bulge.

Fuel system next (the good part).

right view 1.5.jpg
left view 1.5.jpg
straight on 1.5.jpg

Start of the fuel system. I replaced the tank a few years back and used the baffled tank from an SFI car (Spectra BM307C). I'm going with a in-tank pump (Walbro 450). With Steve D's (BEATAV8) help, I place a big order with Racetronix for fittings, hoses and filter. Stating with a stock sending unit, it was cut and rebuilt for the Walbro. About the only thing left is the top plate and the actual fuel gauge sending unit/float, which was welded to a stainless steel rod. AN fittings and the rest is from Racetronix. Just need to replace the rubber hose with submersible grade, add a fuel sock and then install.

Sending unit stock.jpg
sending unit top 1.2.jpg
sending unit side 1.2.jpg