what are the best internal upgrades for low 11s

Sure if it's tuned right , and 0 knock it will last for how long who knows maybe you have one of those freak stock motors ? The whole idea is the right parts and perfect tune there are some guys here that can make these stock motors do crazy things but know every secret there is and the TUNE is the most important. I have one of the best that Tunes my car!!:biggrin:

I like JE pistons or Diamond, 2 billet mains , I don't think you need the Girdle with a steel crank but who ever builds the motor always have there ways on what's best . Just saying a good builder steel crank,billet mains, JE pistons,Timing chain, roller cam, ported heads, & intake. Look to spend 5-6 grand for the motor that's without the ported heads and intake. That would be a stout engine for sure.

then throw a 67 turbo on it with a front mount . Race the car with 15#s of boost (like most do with a combo like this :p) . 11s should not be a problem. Oh remember the most important thing.. tune it right or you will be picking up pieces :eek:

I run this idea passed Lee Thompson a little while back. He said build a low 10 motor and run low 11's, build a 9 to run 10's...etc. My goal is 11 flat in street trim ready to drive to the track, so I am searching for the same goal.

Thanks
Coach

Dont forget that with no cage 11.50 is a fast as you can go. Also the trick of rolling up a foot to break the beam & start the clock wont fly here as they look at MPH as well.

+1

I run this idea passed Lee Thompson a little while back. He said build a low 10 motor and run low 11's, build a 9 to run 10's...etc. My gola is 11 flat in street trim ready to drive to the track, so I am searching for the same goal.

Thanks
Coach

someone told me that too, build it for a 10 sec. car and run it safely at 11 sec. all day:biggrin:great advice

then throw a 67 turbo on it with a front mount . Race the car with 15#s of boost (like most do with a combo like this :p) . 11s should not be a problem. Oh remember the most important thing.. tune it right or you will be picking up pieces :eek:

We would need a 67 or 70 to catch up to you Grumpy:eek:

+1

i have a brand new T67 DBB turbo;) thats exactly whats going on it:biggrin:

low 11s

Dont forget that with no cage 11.50 is a fast as you can go. Also the trick of rolling up a foot to break the beam & start the clock wont fly here as they look at MPH as well.

i just want to run 11-11.4 with 0 knock;) and get kicked off the track :biggrin:and ill be happy;)

I think that budget is the most important barrier to overcome. My new engine is going to be a stroker 109 with:
TA intake 75mm TB
TA heads
PTE Stock local intercooler
80#'s
RJC girdle
Cam yet to be determined
JE pistons
Forged crank
Te45a turbo and the rest of what I can use from my sig.

This is easy 7500 or more, and that does not include the tranny to hold it.

Lee seemed to think that it would easily push low 10's and would live a long time running 11 flat. If Lee comes across this thread and reads this, he may chime in. If the economy would have went in the crapper last year, this engine would be coming together this spring, but is on hold with only some of the parts having been purchased.

Ill take opinions on this combo if you feel I am doing something wrong.

Thanks
Coach

For a coulpe hundred more JE and diamond are the way to go, unless you want a heavy slug piston (TRW) less wieght means faster RPM

Youre going to have to rebalance if you go with those pistons. Its difficult (But not impossible) to find shops with bob weights to rebalance V6s. If he doesnt live somewhere with a good machine shop, that's going to present problems, although I guess you could put the whole assembly in a box and send it to Weber or Duttweiler or RPE.

You cant ever have too much bottom end. Too much is better than too little but I think people are going a little overboard with what theyre telling you but I guess Im from the old school where we did more with less.

but I guess Im from the old school where we did more with less.

guys don't want to listen to that.. Melissa's old WE4 and Limited ran mid 11s for years with a stock motor .. Most don't want to play with the stock stuff anymore because of all the "cool guy" parts out there now :p

Gumpy what were the mods list for those cars ?I know I have read it somewhere but too Lazy:eek:

Most don't want to play with the stock stuff anymore because of all the "cool guy" parts out there now :p

Al and I don't mind, actually it pretty much out of nessecity.:cool:

Gumpy what were the mods list for those cars ?I know I have read it somewhere but too Lazy:eek:

44 turbo with a ported elbow
ran the stock intercooler for a long time..then went to a V4 intercooler (yes she got her moneys worth out of that !! 9.9@138 :eek:)
36# blue tops
Chip and a K&N (yes in the hot engine compartment)
Recaps then later drag radials
shift kit
adj reg
LU switch to lock that stock POS stock D5 :p
oh. after a few years we replaced valve springs and timing chain

simple mods work.. maybe other stupid stuff but my memory bank is a little short today :p

oh.. now that we have played with alky those times would go even lower ( at least an 11.37 :biggrin:)

Grump, How many miles were put on that motor running those times?

ok here ya go.. the motor lasted for 160k then the damm crank broke in half (POS !!:mad:) Motor had YEARS of racing and street beatings. . Her Limited has 218k on it from what I remember. WE4 prob 80/100 .. Wife's "T" prob between both those cars . Wife's new TTA raced from 300 miles to the low 90k miles (2/3 times a WEEK for years).. Dammmm those were a fun 15 years :p
Now... what did we break in all those years ?? 1 engine, trans...3 or 4 drums an prob the same with OD Planet Ring Gears and 1 stator support. I did do the trannys over like every other year just to check things out. oh and a few headgaskets .. 2 with Nitious in 86/87 (the true hell years with my first GN ) and 3 in the wifes "T" and 1 in the TTA that happened @ Atco at a rental.. First run !! :mad:
These cars could take a beating without knock. You would not believe the amount of guys with 12/13 sec cars that grenaded them back in the "day"!! thing would be poppin an fartin all the way .. them BOOM :eek:
Dammmm.. I am startin to miss those cars :p

low 11 combo

yes i've done my searches but i rather take people's word for it who has done it before:biggrin: im just trying to run all day low 11s and not trying to stress my motor. are stock polished, ported and flow matched heads better then a set of gn1 heads? thanks in advance;)

Here is a combo that my friend has and he is running 11.0 in the 1/4 mile..
stock bottom end.
206 to 212 roller(option)
champion iron heads
61 to 66 turbo(option)
precision front mount
60 to 72lb injectors(option)
lt1 maf/translator
matching converter
62 tb
race chip
slicks
red armstrong double pumper

remember guys my goal is low 11s with NO STRESS ON THE MOTOR so if adding better upgrades can save my motor from stressing that is what i want. don't worry about a 11 sec. build i just want to run 11 comfortable without hurting anything internally. thanks for your advice guys

Then you should be building for 10's and de-tuning for 11's...less stress on the car.