Weird O2 numbers and codes after upgrading to GenII Translator and TT Extreme G Chip

Mountain GN

No, it doesn't have a V8.
I recently upgraded to a Gen II MAF Translator and TT Extreme G chip. I followed the directions to the letter, and the car seems to run okay, but I'm seeing some odd readings on my Scanmaster under normal driving. When I start the car, my O2s will show in the .170 to .185 range and typically hold there until I start driving, when they begin to go up. For a while, I'll see what appears to be normal cross counts, but then out of nowhere, the O2s will drop in the .050-.070 range for several seconds at a time. Occasionally, the Check Engine light will come on for a few seconds, and I've seen two codes: 13 (O2 Sensor Slow Response) and 42 (O2 Sensor Lean). BLMs are all over the board, but I'll occasonally see high 140's when the SES light comes on.

My settings for the GenII are all of the recommended defaults for a turbo buick. The TT chip has all defaults except (1) Lean cruise is turned on, and (2) TCC lockup is set to 50 MPH. I thought that the lean cruise could be setting the code and giving the low O2s, but the SES light still comes on with it disabled.

Now, I know I need to get the fueling dialed in, but can it be so far off as to set a code for lean?

Lastly, I'm running the plug-and-play adapter harness into the ECM, and had to do a bit of contortion of the vehicle's harness to get it all into place. Could I have disturbed the O2 wire into the ECM so that it's not making good contact and causing these readings? It's just a thought.

Anyway, I've attached a log that demonstrates all of this behavior, though the SES light did not come on during this log.

Can anyone explain what is going on here, and also give some advise on where I should start with dialing in my fuel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• QuickSave.031.zip
    181.2 KB · Views: 55
Can't help too much yet cuz I'm not a GenII user and haven't browsed your file yet.

However, just a correction. The Extreme G chip is not a TT chip. It is a Full Throttle/Bob Bailey chip. Just so others don't get confused.

Can't help too much yet cuz I'm not a GenII user and haven't browsed your file yet.

However, just a correction. The Extreme G chip is not a TT chip. It is a Full Throttle/Bob Bailey chip. Just so others don't get confused.

So, there's no difference between an Extender G sold by Eric @ TT and one sold by Full Throttle?

Eric sells them I believe, to go along with the GenII. But they're a Bob Bailey chip.

what MAF are you running?

What is the Maf Out set to? What is the MAF in set to?

You need to tune it a little, thats all.

Which lean spot are you specifically looking at, as there is some highway cruise stuff, and some DFCO stuff in that log.

All your blocks are high, even with the BLM correction maxed. So it sounds like somethings not right in the basic settings.

Bob

what MAF are you running?

What is the Maf Out set to? What is the MAF in set to?

You need to tune it a little, thats all.

Which lean spot are you specifically looking at, as there is some highway cruise stuff, and some DFCO stuff in that log.

All your blocks are high, even with the BLM correction maxed. So it sounds like somethings not right in the basic settings.

Bob

I'm running one of the new plastic LS1 replacement MAFs. Translator input is set to "Aluminium LS1 MAF". Output is set to "Extender Extreme/Pro."

Anyway, the stuff in the log relates to the overall behavior that I'm describing. What I'm trying to understand is, can this be addressed through tuning and what changes can I make. You've made first part clear...I just need some help with the how!

Based on what I've read, I can add fuel at 400 RPMs. Will this increase fueling across the board, or just the 400-800 range? Will I need to adjust the other ranges?

Thanks for your help on this!

since you are lean everywhere, then adjusting the mainscale will shift the entire tune.

But it looks really lean, double check the installation.

I would leave the tune settings at 0 and adjust the mainscale until the BLMs come back to 120 - 128 while cruising (without the lean cruise...) then fine tune from there. Set the BLM correction cell in the chip back to 8 when you work this out.

What is the chip number? What injectors?

Bob

Chip # is 6811. Injectors are newer MSD 50 LB'ers.

So, increase the mainscale until BLMs come back to 12-128...Will do!

I set the main scale to +10% today and drove it. Got SES light the first few minutes of driving, which is not in the log, but never saw it again. I've attached logs from the drive, and the BLMs are down, but I still have long periods where the O2 reading is below .100.

Based on the new logs, what should I be adjusting now?

Attachments

• QuickSave.032.zip
    298.9 KB · Views: 43
  • QuickSave.033.zip
    339.1 KB · Views: 33
That's just lean cruise operating. When lean cruise comes on, the INT will lock to 128, and the O2's will drop low.

That's just lean cruise operating. When lean cruise comes on, the INT will lock to 128, and the O2's will drop low.

Thanks for looking at this, Eric.

Does it also go into loop? I've noticed by Scanmaster flashing when the O2s drop.

Everything else in the latest log okay?