AXIS TRANSLATOR/TUNER

I was asking hensleyt where his settings are at.
And yes till you get a handle on things leave the spark alone. Bump up the fuel pressure.

Last edited:
I was asking hensleyt where his settings are at.
And yes till you get a handle on things leave the spark alone. Bump up the fuel pressure.
I don't have a AXIS. I was at TIMM's a few weeks ago and was watching his thread to see how it was going. You guys are in a skill set way past me.
I had a similar problem a few years back BLM's all over, poor idle. Even changed the intake gasket, no help with a almost new MAS.
when it came time to ship the car to the mainland I put the OE MAS back on problem went away.
but I agree I would bump fuel pressure up, most fuel pressure gages are cheep and vary a little.

I believe that I have ruled out a vacuum leak, as that would affect the idle more than off idle and higher (midrange) RPM.
Why not go to bigger injectors rather than higher fuel pressure?
Or just add fuel pressure temporarily, just as a check?
Is my combo out of the ballpark for 60# injectors? I seem to be out of fuel without even getting the RPMs up, let alone loading the motor....
Thanks for the help so far!
TIMINATOR

60s are good for over 700 fwhp, imo i dont think your fuel pump is strong enough for your combo they are great for a stockish set up, some 255's aren't as strong as there rating

Just thought about it fuel pressure drops just as throttle blade opens because manifold vacuum increases.
My 60 at 75% at 120 mph 1/4 mile

I will look at the pressure change as throttle is opened, but cracking the throttle fast, which is the issue, drops the vacuum quickly, and that should raise the fuel pressure. But I will look at everything again. I'll just pull the vacuum line, crack the throttle, and see what happens. Because it is definitely going lean on the crack opening. But the perplexing thing is that as RPMs climb, even at a slow throttle opening, it goes leaner as RPMs climb too.
The base is supposed to adjust to adjust the idle fuel, and the LO is supposed to adjust the midrange, but it doesn't seem to be enough.
I'll beat on it again tomorrow.
TIMINATOR

New fuel filter, 43 lbs w/vac off, 38 w/vac on. Never changes with winging or running RPMs up.
In late on this...
If the fp with line on doesn't change with rpm, what does the MAP reading do?
As MAP drops the pressure should at least move towards line off value until MAP is at/near atmosphere.
Free rev is not what I'd think would provide a sufficient MAP drop, due to low/ no load on the engine. What does it do if you load the converter?

I haven't even put it in gear because of how it's acting. I don't want to load it since it is leaning out at RPM now.

Just so you know, revving the throttle will not increase fuel pressure. The engine has to be in boost to put pressure to the fuel pressure regulator to increase the fuel pressure. In park, you can't make boost.

Just so you know, revving the throttle will not increase fuel pressure. The engine has to be in boost to put pressure to the fuel pressure regulator to increase the fuel pressure. In park, you can't make boost.
this will decrease fuel pressure as vacuum increases causing a lean condition.
when you're driving you will be loading the engine ,vacuum will be heading words boost increasing fuel pressure.

I believe that I have ruled out a vacuum leak, as that would affect the idle more than off idle and higher (midrange) RPM.
Why not go to bigger injectors rather than higher fuel pressure?
Or just add fuel pressure temporarily, just as a check?
Is my combo out of the ballpark for 60# injectors? I seem to be out of fuel without even getting the RPMs up, let alone loading the motor....
Thanks for the help so far!
TIMINATOR
Hi tim
So after installing the wideband and narrowban looks like the car is lean correct?
If so...
You will need to find out why the fuel is not getting into the cylinders.
Flowing the fuel injectors and lines would be where I would start.
You are not maxing 60s cracking the throttle😉

I know I need to do the tip in fuel, especially since I now have an Accufab 70mm on it, but just holding an RPM over 2800 or so causes it to lean pop. I am currently chasing that. I may have a bad injector or two from sitting, or a dirty basket (s), even tho the new 60# injectors only have less than 10 miles on them, and ran fine when I started this project before the new motor THREE years ago last January. That also doesn't mean that garbage hasn't clogged an injector with crap from between the new fuel filter and one or more of them. Even tho everything was cleaned and flushed thoroughly from the tank foward before the filter was replaced.
The lean pop could just be one or two cylinders at 2500/2800 RPM.
I have more to check, then the fuel system comes apart again from the filter to the injectors.
THANKS all for the help!
Greg, I have the data, but want to run down more details before I bother you.
At this point, it's prolly something small and stupid I overlooked.
Ya know one of my favorite sayings from: "Murphy's Rules of Combat." "If it was stupid and saved your life, it wasn't stupid."
I'm not burning down a new motor over something stupid!
TIMINATOR

only have less than 10 miles on them, and ran fine when I started this project before the new motor THREE years ago last January. That also doesn't mean that garbage hasn't clogged an injector with crap from between the new fuel filter and one or more of them. Even tho everything was cleaned and flushed thoroughly from the tank foward before the filter was replaced.

TIMINATOR
Three yrs is a long time sitting and fuel does evaporate leaving behind its remnants. I think I'd be pulling the injectors out and running some thing through em with a nine volt battery to cycle em at the least.

I just got my Axis installed and running last night. This set up is sweet. I'm running a 62mm TB with Erics 3.5 MAF. I have to say I went from stock, original MAF to this and it's dead on. Nothing weird. I went to a 4" intake pipe but it feels like car is spooling so much better with the Axis and new MAF.

Attachments

• IMG_20230813_212905751_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230813_212905751_HDR~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27