Wastegate Operation and Manual Boost Controllers - How-to

I just got my car back, put new competition headers and was having problems spooling. I readjusted my wastegate and HOLD ON! Thanks for the post.

Nice video! i bet that N/a 4.3 run was a real thrill!:p

only prob. i had with the video was using a pump to attach the wastegate rod;) ...cmon its not that hard to pull! i find it harder, with the age of some of the cars, to pull the vac/boost hose of my actuator:eek:

Comments from the author

Wow, I made this video to enter a contest to win a turbo, but I didn't think it would go much further than that. I'm glad to hear you guys found it useful, too. I never did a video before so I wasnt sure how it would turn out. Maybe I'll look at making another in the future. :smile:

PS: I won the contest! :biggrin:

Wow, I made this video to enter a contest to win a turbo, but I didn't think it would go much further than that. I'm glad to hear you guys found it useful, too. I never did a video before so I wasnt sure how it would turn out. Maybe I'll look at making another in the future. :smile:

congrats! :biggrin:

Have some questions on your setup.

What boost controller are you running in this vid?
What turbo and down pipe?
Is it a stock style actuator or an HD unit?
Is the actuator original or has it been replaced?
Is the wastegate port in the exhaust housing stock size or have you ported it?

Your setup has the exact characteristics I am aiming for - zero overshoot (spike), zero creep.

Have some questions on your setup.

What boost controller are you running in this vid?
What turbo and down pipe?
Is it a stock style actuator or an HD unit?
Is the actuator original or has it been replaced?
Is the wastegate port in the exhaust housing stock size or have you ported it?

Your setup has the exact characteristics I am aiming for - zero overshoot (spike), zero creep.

OK. Watched the video again, this time so I could hear it. I didn't catch if you were running a stock style or an HD actuautor, the condition of the actuator (new, or old worn out unit), and if the wastegate hole has been ported.

Great post. One thing i have found with these Buicks when running a 3 bolt housing and any of the available exhaust wheels is that you have to crank down on the actuator rod a little more than usual when running over 600hp. Even with the GTQ wheel. If you dont the exhaust pressure is enough to start to overcome the actuator rod tension and you will get a taper off on the top of 3rd gear as the engine gains rpm. The smaller the turbine and a/r the quicker the loss of boost occurs under load.

OK. Watched the video again, this time so I could hear it. I didn't catch if you were running a stock style or an HD actuautor, the condition of the actuator (new, or old worn out unit), and if the wastegate hole has been ported.

The actuator is stock from PTE, it seems to give a 14-16 PSI base (depending on tune). The PT51 Turbo w/actuator, PTE SyTy Downpipe w/internal wastegate were all purchased new in 2003 as a package kit.

The wastegate hole has been ported, I enlarged it only a rather small amount, but spent more time smoothing the curve of the entry (it was a 90* sharp corner before).

I'm dealing with this as well and I have one question. You state that it's set for 20 psi. How do you set it? Can it intialy be set with an air compressor at the turbo output port? A simulated boost without running the risk of blowing it up.

I'm new to this above normal boost:eek: , as soon as I get time adding ALKY and a TT chip. (Sad part is I have everything I need, except time)

Thanks,

I don't think you can set it ahead of time with an air compressor due to all the variables of the engine under throttle.

When turning up the boost on any turbo vehicle, I start with a conservative/low setting and analyze the datalog & gauge readings. If everything looks good, then proceed to turn up slowly 1-2 PSI at a time. With the manual controller I am using in the video, I give it about 1 full turn each time. With practice you will come to know how much more to give it.

The one thing you DON'T want to do, is suddenly crank it 3-4+ turns and just "let her rip and see what happens". Even worse if you do it at the racetrack for the first time. (The dragstrip is not the place to try new settings, I do all that stuff at home near my garage!)

I'm dealing with this as well and I have one question. You state that it's set for 20 psi. How do you set it? Can it intialy be set with an air compressor at the turbo output port? A simulated boost without running the risk of blowing it up.

I'm new to this above normal boost:eek: , as soon as I get time adding ALKY and a TT chip. (Sad part is I have everything I need, except time)

Thanks,

You always start with the least amount of spring tension and slowly increase it. You do this anytime you do a mod that will effect the boost or fuel delivery. If not you will get stung eventually. You should also use higher than your normal octane when you start.