Turbo cool down ?

Tori

My knowledge of turbos would fit into a thimble. But on my diesel, we try to keep the EGT below 1350* and some recommend idling to let the EGT's come down to 350* range before shutting down. Is this a concern on our cars ? I know my diesel turbo gets alot more use compared to a gas engine, so maybe it's not a concern in daily driving. ? ? ?

Gas engines run higher egt that diesels. Cool down is important
7808c551bc5db6ec7863706bea5b8e5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really ? Can you elaborate on that a tad more ? I figured since it wasn't under boost as often, it would be less.......... but then, like i said.... "thimble"

I always let the car idle for 10-15 minutes after I make a few pulls. Oil cant do its job without the car running. Buddy made a mistake and burned up a brand new 1500$ turbo.

okay, but what about normal daily driving. Stop and go stuff, or coming off the hwy ?

okay, but what about normal daily driving. Stop and go stuff, or coming off the hwy ?
Bison would be the one to answer that. But with cruising I don't see it need cool down as with making a few full boost pulls.

Really ? Can you elaborate on that a tad more ? I figured since it wasn't under boost as often, it would be less.......... but then, like i said.... "thimble"
Gas engines run higher egt at full power and the heat soak effect can be more of a problem. Even the alloy requirements for a gasoline turbocharger turbine is different.

I always let the car idle for 10-15 minutes after I make a few pulls. Oil cant do its job without the car running. Buddy made a mistake and burned up a brand new 1500$ turbo.
That's a bit of overkill IMHO. The turbo is going to get a good cooldown when you're cruising on your streets heading to your house. Very little to no load at all.
I've never done a "cool down" of any kind other than the light loads while approaching home. I over 27 years, I haven't suffered so much as a single turbo failure. Neither on my Buicks or my Powerstroke.

That's a bit of overkill IMHO. The turbo is going to get a good cooldown when you're cruising on your streets heading to your house. Very little to no load at all.
I've never done a "cool down" of any kind other than the light loads while approaching home. I over 27 years, I haven't suffered so much as a single turbo failure. Neither on my Buicks or my Powerstroke.
One can never be too cautious I guess. But good to know I don't need to be so anal about it. Just on a tight budget didnt want something small to become something big.

My thimble opinion, get a turbo timer. keeps car running for a preset amount of time after you take the key out.

Buy an EGT and watch it. Better yet log it. I've rarely seen EGT's of < 750F at idle (except on startup) and it really doesn't take that long to get back to that after a pull. Normal driving 1000 isn't uncommon and WOT of 1500

A few minutes at idle will do fine.

Car manufacturers care only about the bottom line, they're not charities. Turbos are expensive, labor to replace them for some vehicles is non trivial. Would GM, or any other car manufacturer, ever warranty a turbo'd car if the turbo could be killed by the owner simply turning the car off? Buick started production turbo v6s in, what, 78? If turbo cooldown was such a problem, does anyone think they would have gotten as far as 1987? I think TurboDave nailed it, most normal people are just idling around as they get closer to their destination and that's "good enough". Now, those engine carnage threads that show up every once in awhile, I'd be curious to see how many turbos survive those if no garbabe made it to the turbo by the time oil pressure dropped to zero.

Car manufacturers care only about the bottom line, they're not charities. Turbos are expensive, labor to replace them for some vehicles is non trivial. Would GM, or any other car manufacturer, ever warranty a turbo'd car if the turbo could be killed by the owner simply turning the car off? Buick started production turbo v6s in, what, 78? If turbo cooldown was such a problem, does anyone think they would have gotten as far as 1987? I think TurboDave nailed it, most normal people are just idling around as they get closer to their destination and that's "good enough". Now, those engine carnage threads that show up every once in awhile, I'd be curious to see how many turbos survive those if no garbabe made it to the turbo by the time oil pressure dropped to zero.
Car manufacturers have thousands of hours in R&D and engineer the parts to surpass the warranty period. In many cases stuff lasts much longer than the warranty period. When it comes to high performance and trying to extract more out of less the manufacturers R&D is often thrown out the window as the operating conditions are drastically different and often much more demanding. A 75hp per cylinder high output factory warranty engine or a 125hp hot street/strip engine. Id bet the 125hp per hole engine is a lot harder on parts. Power density is often overlooked. Higher mass flow with smaller engine equals added stress. A lot of factory gasoline turbocharged engines have water cooled cartridges. Water cooling is always a good idea and will definitely reduce heat soak back carbonization problems with the CHRA. It also helps keep the ex sealing ring temp lower by transferring heat faster and increases the life of the ring which is in a harsh environment. I see a direct correlation to heat soak and the type of bearing housing and the amount of oil and or water that is cooling the cartridges.
cb1e46d819f2df64ecd7cbaaf7f78128.jpg

Turbo cool down is under the preventative maintained category. You don't need to do it, however I know I feel better knowing the oil isn't boiling in the compressor shaft bearings. Turbo timers monitor specific parameters. It's not a remote starter unit that just looks at a tach signal.

Car manufacturers have thousands of hours in R&D and engineer the parts to surpass the warranty period. In many cases stuff lasts much longer than the warranty period. When it comes to high performance and trying to extract more out of less the manufacturers R&D is often thrown out the window as the operating conditions are drastically different and often much more demanding. A 75hp per cylinder high output factory warranty engine or a 125hp hot street/strip engine. Id bet the 125hp per hole engine is a lot harder on parts. Power density is often overlooked. Higher mass flow with smaller engine equals added stress. A lot of factory gasoline turbocharged engines have water cooled cartridges. Water cooling is good idea