Track issues...

Fitman

Got to do 1-pass at my local track this past Saturday.
I could feel the car was on a personal record pass when 3/4 way down started popping/missing horribly!
Ended up running a 12.89et, still smoked my competitor a '15 5.0 that actually was showing a little daylight when he hit 2nd gear from the video.
Anyways I have attached my Power Logger file. ANY or input would be greatly appreciated!
My local GN guru thinks it's cuz I only had 1/8 of a tank of fuel thus causing the fuel pump to suck aerated fuel hence the popping/missing.
THANKS IN ADVANCE EVERYONE!!!!

Attachments

• race.dat
    51 KB · Views: 68
I could feel the car was on a personal record pass when 3/4 way down started popping/missing horribly!
Ended up running a 12.89et, still smoked my competitor a '15 5.0 that actually was showing a little daylight when he hit 2nd gear from the video.
Anyways I have attached my Power Logger file. ANY or input would be greatly appreciated!
My local GN guru thinks it's cuz I only had 1/8 of a tank of fuel thus causing the fuel pump to suck aerated fuel hence the popping/missing.
1/8th?
Without looking at the file...........never do this again!

Sorry. That was a knee jerk response. Didn't mean to sound like a dick.

But yes, this is not something you want to make a habit of. I've known quite a few TR owners (even some experts) who just couldn't resist the need to punch it on a nearly empty tank when the Mustang was along side them on the highway and paid for it dearly.

But on another note..........you probably came out of it just fine. I can't open the file. But if others do and give you the OK, fill her up and get some seat time on a side street somewhere and see if it clears up.

no offense taken at all.
sorry you couldn't open the file. hopefully I attached it correctly...
I just didn't think that would've been an issue
just got back from a drive with 1/2 a tank of VP109.....no issues at all. launched it twice, drove it well past 1/4 mile each time and no popping/missing. did 3 55-110mph punches...all good!
so hopefully this was my problem
anymore input would be greatly appreciated

Checked your file. You were definitely starved for fuel!!!!! Went totally lean way down the track. Of coarse there was knock retard during the lean out, but the worst of it was 5° so you may or may not have hurt anything. Hard to tell though with so much boost it's possible the head gaskets could have taken a bit of a hit. When I was racing I never let mine drop below 1/4 tank.

Yep, that little bit of gas sloshing around in the tank will definitely cause those symptoms.

I did the same thing in Bowling Green this year and was very lucky that I didn't grenade the engine. Had Lou Czarnota go over it with a fine toothed comb and everything checked out ok, but of course, I had him do some improvements while he had it.... :D:D

Yep, that little bit of gas sloshing around in the tank will definitely cause those symptoms.

I did the same thing in Bowling Green this year and was very lucky that I didn't grenade the engine. Had Lou Czarnota go over it with a fine toothed comb and everything checked out ok, but of course, I had him do some improvements while he had it.... :D:D
Yeah your car looked great Guy. I checked it out while it was at Lou's. Listen, if you notice a dent in the fender, it's from my boner I got while leaning over the hood. Sorry!

Yeah your car looked great Guy. I checked it out while it was at Lou's. Listen, if you notice a dent in the fender, it's from my boner I got while leaning over the hood. Sorry!

LOL That's ok, it happens all the time. I have a paintless dent repair guy on retainer......;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, thank you for the compliment.

Last edited:
That's why I always go through the effort to set my pump depth when I have a take apart. At the end of the track you were basically running on what the return line sprays on the fuel sock.

i'm very lucky not to have really screwed my motor up!I
It was popping/missing BIG TIME on the big end of the track!

Sorry I missed it Chad. I heard the track was packed for opening night. Glad your car survived. I just finished replacing the headgaskets on mine for a very similar issue.
Twas not a fun job!!!!
David.

i'm very lucky not to have really screwed my motor up!I
It was popping/missing BIG TIME on the big end of the track!

Chances are you did damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to end up with a full tank of gas when go to the track too.